Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Some parts of the USA are Latino areas, border towns like San Diego, El Paso, Laredo, etc, meanwhile others in the North East like Vermont, New Haven, Mass, etc, are WASP territory.

I wonder if this makes a very deep different in terms of culture, economy, flavour, etc?
city vs. city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
My wife and her family are from New England and they're upbringing sounds like Thanksgiving Land Theme Park. They don't get Cinco de Mayo, Dia de los Muertos, Quinceaneras, Tequila beyond Cuervo, or that you're supposed to heat tortillas before you eat them. They will go on and on about pumpkin patches, apple picking, shellfish, and falling leaves, which are nice things too.
Holy ****! A local culture, oh the horror.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,226 times
Alright, forget the word WASP, what about Anglo?
Alright, forget New Haven, what about New England?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,435 times
Quote:
My wife and her family are from New England and they're upbringing sounds like Thanksgiving Land Theme Park. They don't get Cinco de Mayo, Dia de los Muertos, Quinceaneras, Tequila beyond Cuervo, or that you're supposed to heat tortillas before you eat them. They will go on and on about pumpkin patches, apple picking, shellfish, and falling leaves, which are nice things too.
These aren't deep cultural divides, their regional things. And I pumpkins, apple picking, shellfish, and falling leaves aren't WASP things, they're New England things. If you meet a WASP in LA they're not going to be familiar with these practices either (I mean familiar as in practiced) and if you meet and black or Hispanic New Englander, guess what? They'll probably have gone pumpkin picking, or eaten a lobster or clam chowder, and they're definitely familiar with the changing colors and falling of the leaves because, duh, that's what happens where we live.

Quinceañeras I'm pretty sure are a Mexican thing, and so no you won't have New Englanders, even most of the Hispanics (most Hispanics here aren't Mexican they're mostly Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Guatemalan + Brazilians if you expand it to Latino instead of just Hispanic), practicing that tradition. Tortillas, also a very Mexican tradition. Cinco de Mayo...honestly do any Hispanics celebrate this anywhere? I was here in LA for it this year and nada. Dia de los Muertos, again, Mexican not Hispanic.

Of course their are differences between regions and of course they are heavily influenced by the environment (pumpkins, apples, and leaves happen here naturally), and by the predecessors (Spanish settlers vs. English settlers). Thanksgiving Land Theme Park is a stretch. Visit Bridgeport or Lowell or New Bedford or South Boston and see if you think the same thing. Also, we have long traditional groups here besides WASPs. Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island is the Portuguese coast, and they've been shaping the regional culture of the two Bristol counties since the Civil War. Plus the Irish and Italian and Jewish influences, African-Americans have a long history in CT cities as well as Boston. And Puerto Ricans in Springfield and Worcester and Woonsocket. Plus French-Canadians up in northern New Hampshire and Maine.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
These aren't deep cultural divides, their regional things. And I pumpkins, apple picking, shellfish, and falling leaves aren't WASP things, they're New England things. If you meet a WASP in LA they're not going to be familiar with these practices either (I mean familiar as in practiced) and if you meet and black or Hispanic New Englander, guess what? They'll probably have gone pumpkin picking, or eaten a lobster or clam chowder, and they're definitely familiar with the changing colors and falling of the leaves because, duh, that's what happens where we live.

Quinceañeras I'm pretty sure are a Mexican thing, and so no you won't have New Englanders, even most of the Hispanics (most Hispanics here aren't Mexican they're mostly Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Guatemalan + Brazilians if you expand it to Latino instead of just Hispanic), practicing that tradition. Tortillas, also a very Mexican tradition. Cinco de Mayo...honestly do any Hispanics celebrate this anywhere? I was here in LA for it this year and nada. Dia de los Muertos, again, Mexican not Hispanic.

Of course their are differences between regions and of course they are heavily influenced by the environment (pumpkins, apples, and leaves happen here naturally), and by the predecessors (Spanish settlers vs. English settlers). Thanksgiving Land Theme Park is a stretch. Visit Bridgeport or Lowell or New Bedford or South Boston and see if you think the same thing. Also, we have long traditional groups here besides WASPs. Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island is the Portuguese coast, and they've been shaping the regional culture of the two Bristol counties since the Civil War. Plus the Irish and Italian and Jewish influences, African-Americans have a long history in CT cities as well as Boston. And Puerto Ricans in Springfield and Worcester and Woonsocket. Plus French-Canadians up in northern New Hampshire and Maine.
Whoa, way to get way to technical about a light-hearted post.

I understand WASP is white anglo saxon protestant, I was using it in a general sense for a predominantly white area, and I know New England is so much more than some simplified cliches, I've been multiple times. There's just some funny differences between the Massachusetts and Arizona sides of my family.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I assume by Wasp you really mean, English peaking White people of mainly northern European heritage (i.e. a lot of Catholics, German-Americans, French-Americans, etc.) since the percentage of true WASPs in America is a fraction of a fraction even if you include Scots-Irish.
Technically, the "P" in WASP stands for Protestant. White Ango Saxon Protestant.
This would exlude all Catholics.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Technically, the "P" in WASP stands for Protestant. White Ango Saxon Protestant.
This would exlude all Catholics.
Very good. Now reread my post paying special attention to the words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I assume by Wasp you really mean, English peaking White people of mainly northern European heritage (i.e. a lot of Catholics, German-Americans, French-Americans, etc.) since the percentage of true WASPs in America is a fraction of a fraction even if you include Scots-Irish.
See what I was trying to say?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Try the North Country and they barely even have apple orchards because the climate is too cold to support them. The Maple Festival and Winter Carnival end up being a bigger deal than apple season or pumpkin patches!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM

596 posts, read 982,560 times
I live in the Northeast and I refuse to pee in the shower. Does that make me a WASP?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
That sounds a lot like Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.