U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
These aren't deep cultural divides, their regional things. And I pumpkins, apple picking, shellfish, and falling leaves aren't WASP things, they're New England things. If you meet a WASP in LA they're not going to be familiar with these practices either (I mean familiar as in practiced) and if you meet and black or Hispanic New Englander, guess what? They'll probably have gone pumpkin picking, or eaten a lobster or clam chowder, and they're definitely familiar with the changing colors and falling of the leaves because, duh, that's what happens where we live.

Quinceañeras I'm pretty sure are a Mexican thing, and so no you won't have New Englanders, even most of the Hispanics (most Hispanics here aren't Mexican they're mostly Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Guatemalan + Brazilians if you expand it to Latino instead of just Hispanic), practicing that tradition. Tortillas, also a very Mexican tradition. Cinco de Mayo...honestly do any Hispanics celebrate this anywhere? I was here in LA for it this year and nada. Dia de los Muertos, again, Mexican not Hispanic.

Of course their are differences between regions and of course they are heavily influenced by the environment (pumpkins, apples, and leaves happen here naturally), and by the predecessors (Spanish settlers vs. English settlers). Thanksgiving Land Theme Park is a stretch. Visit Bridgeport or Lowell or New Bedford or South Boston and see if you think the same thing. Also, we have long traditional groups here besides WASPs. Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island is the Portuguese coast, and they've been shaping the regional culture of the two Bristol counties since the Civil War. Plus the Irish and Italian and Jewish influences, African-Americans have a long history in CT cities as well as Boston. And Puerto Ricans in Springfield and Worcester and Woonsocket. Plus French-Canadians up in northern New Hampshire and Maine.
I was going to say that there is a big misconception about New England states. I think people just think about the quaint little villages and towns and don't realize that the cities in the region are diverse, to varying degrees. Even Burlington VT has become more and more diverse, as many NYC folks have moved up there. Same with some of the cities in New Hampshire and Maine, as folks move in from other areas.

Like this post referred to, the Hispanic/Latino influence is just different and is visible in pretty much any city of a decent size in New England now.

Upstate NY gets this same type of stereotype even from some Downstate NYers, but many places and cities up here have long time communities of different groups as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Technically, the "P" in WASP stands for Protestant. White Ango Saxon Protestant.
This would exlude all Catholics.
Gives me a perfect chance to vent about the phrase WASP, the AS (Anglo-Saxon) part already explains that the person is white (I can all but guarantee you that there weren't any black Angles or Saxons living around Denmark/Germany. Since WASP's are considered wealthy, I have always thought that it would make more sense for the W to be wealthy in place of white.
Oh, and trust me WASP does include Protestants, a good majority of them historically had a strong dislike for Catholics therefore there are different cultures (think the difference between an Irish-Catholic or Italian immigrant vs. a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian Immigrant)

Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Gives me a perfect chance to vent about the phrase WASP, the AS (Anglo-Saxon) part already explains that the person is white (I can all but guarantee you that there weren't any black Angles or Saxons living around Denmark/Germany. Since WASP's are considered wealthy, I have always thought that it would make more sense for the W to be wealthy in place of white.
Oh, and trust me WASP does include Protestants, a good majority of them historically had a strong dislike for Catholics therefore there are different cultures (think the difference between an Irish-Catholic or Italian immigrant vs. a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian Immigrant)
yeah "wealthy" would be better because it would exclude all the poor Protestant whites who don't have much in common with the true WASPs

Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
Things can get real weird. I live on a parcel that's part of an old Rancho that was subdivided a few decades after the war between the US and Mexico. I find these old relics of the Mexican and Spanish eras (nothing fancy, just horseshoes and bits of old bottles, etc). And yet when we moved in our road was overtly WASP (with the odd Northern European origin Roman Catholic or Jew). Since then it's gotten less WASPy but not via the oft described Latino migrations - they can't afford it. Newer non WASP arrivals are of Indian, Chinese, Russian and Middle Eastern extraction and practice Hinduism, Buddhism, Orthodox Judaism or Islam.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 AM

606 posts, read 954,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Whoa, way to get way to technical about a light-hearted post.

I understand WASP is white anglo saxon protestant, I was using it in a general sense for a predominantly white area, and I know New England is so much more than some simplified cliches, I've been multiple times. There's just some funny differences between the Massachusetts and Arizona sides of my family.
Well I was trying to use your post to answer the OP's points. Just trying to break everything down to the truth one post at a time.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,148,195 times
I don't think I know any WASPs. My step-grandmother is the closest, but she's not Anglo or Protestant. She does act like it too (she lives on Nantucket).

I just realized the W in WASP is kind of redundant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.