U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM

29,985 posts, read 27,535,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiaux View Post
Thanks for the continued information. We really are looking for an area where we won't be on top of our neighbors (3 acres approximately) but also would like to be close enough to have a wide range of things to do year round as well as places to eat and explore. We aren't big into nightlife but do appreciate small town life at the same time with enough options to keep us interested. Looking for safe communities and a volunteer fire department. Lastly, we want enough day and weekend trip options to keep us active. I know this is vague but I guess to summarize we want the small town feel with good people and the city amenities and enough things to do and go out to eat, etc. we are both in our mid 20's and would like to plan to purchase a house and raise a small family in a small town with good schools and good people as a long term goal.
Not selling DFW short since it's a large enough metro to provide different living options, but I'd say the Columbia/Camden area seems to suit you guys best, especially with the amount of day/weekend trip options available in the larger region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,838,828 times
Quote:
Sounds like you live in Texas...how is the weather? Is the heat bearable and does it get so hot it becomes miserable? How about tornadoes/hurricane frequency?
DFW is definitely an extreme weather region. You can expect to deal with strong thunderstorms and such. Tornadoes are certainly not unusual, but not so prevalent that you should really be worried. I don't think the threat is much greater than in South Carolina.

Summers are hot and long, but the same can be said of Columbia, SC. In fact, from June to August, Central SC sees the same average temps as much of eastern Texas.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
DFW is definitely an extreme weather region. You can expect to deal with strong thunderstorms and such. Tornadoes are certainly not unusual, but not so prevalent that you should really be worried. I don't think the threat is much greater than in South Carolina.

Summers are hot and long, but the same can be said of Columbia, SC. In fact, from June to August, Central SC sees the same average temps as much of eastern Texas.
Yeah, it does get hotter than some people not from that area are used to, but it's more mild the rest of the year.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM

48,388 posts, read 45,654,941 times
If it were me, Texas would win over South Carolina.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it were me, Texas would win over South Carolina.
Depends on exactly where in each state he's looking to move. For instance, if it were McAllen vs. Charleston, I'm pretty sure you'd have a different opinion. Either way, the OP has a specific set of criteria that puts SC in play.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 30,107 times
If I may further on this, how do you feel the economies of the two areas/states compare? I've noticed unemployment both seemed to be relatively aligned with the national average - but how about growth? If, god forbid, something were to happen with my company, what is the availability of jobs in the area and how does the economy in each area compare?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If I may further on this, how do you feel the economies of the two areas/states compare? I've noticed unemployment both seemed to be relatively aligned with the national average - but how about growth? If, god forbid, something were to happen with my company, what is the availability of jobs in the area and how does the economy in each area compare?
DFW wins this one, no contest. All the big Texas metros rank high for their economies right now. The Columbia area isn't a jobs wasteland or anything, but the sheer size difference between the two areas makes all the difference here. That being said, Columbia has a decent amount of jobs in certain sectors--being home to the University of SC, being the state capital, and having a sizable banking/insurance industry for its size--so you'll also have to consider your field. But overall, this obviously goes to DFW.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM

45,239 posts, read 36,447,144 times
I've lived in South Carolina (Columbia area) and in East Texas. In my book, Texas wins this contest hands down, but it's just my personal choice.

The muggiest place I've ever, ever lived in South Carolina. The humidity is absolutely stifling for many months of the year. The winters are nice enough, however. I do like the proximity to both mountains and ocean, but other than that, I was not that crazy about South Carolina.

Texas is a very large state with lots to offer. The D/FW area is full of all sorts of attractions for a family. East Texas with it's many lakes and rolling green hills is just a short drive away. The beach IS a bit of a drive, and that's my only gripe. The Ozarks, and the Ouachita Mountains are both pretty close, and are lovely.

Central Texas and the Hill Country are close - and are BEAUTIFUL areas to explore. Texas culture is definitely interesting and fun - friendly people, great food, an emphasis on the outdoors and rugged individualism, a wide range of political beliefs, and a tolerance for the idiosyncracies of other people.

Yes, it's hot in the summertime - but we've got plenty of AC everywhere you will go. The winters are mild and generally very pleasant.

Tornadoes and severe weather are not uncommon - but they're also not uncommon in South Carolina. I just think they add to the ambiance of spring and summer! I've lived in East Texas for over twenty years and yes, I have had to replace one roof due to storm damage - but that's what insurance is for, right?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM

48,388 posts, read 45,654,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Depends on exactly where in each state he's looking to move. For instance, if it were McAllen vs. Charleston, I'm pretty sure you'd have a different opinion. Either way, the OP has a specific set of criteria that puts SC in play.
I've been to SC and TX. I've been to the Columbia area, Greenwood, and Charleston vs. DFW and San Antonio. If it's Columbia vs. DFW, DFW would be a better bet. I see nothing special about SC outside of Charleston.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 30,107 times
Thank you all again. I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate your advice. We are confident that we are going to be picking the D/FW area and hopefully living around the Mansfield area.

Does anyone know of any areas that have volunteer fire departments near there? . Thought I'd ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.