U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM

29,985 posts, read 27,535,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been to SC and TX. I've been to the Columbia area, Greenwood, and Charleston vs. DFW and San Antonio. If it's Columbia vs. DFW, DFW would be a better bet. I see nothing special about SC outside of Charleston.
Obviously this person isn't looking for a "special" place; otherwise, he/she would probably be looking at Galveston, Austin, or San Antonio in Texas instead of DFW. And secondly, you've not even been to most places in SC to say that there's nothing "special" outside of Charleston. People put way too much stock into the concept of "specialness" anyway; just because a place is nice to visit doesn't mean it's the best when it comes to overall livability--which is probably why metro Columbia adds more people than metro Charleston annually (although it's close).

I don't understand why people refuse to read the criteria of what people are looking for in a place to relocate and assume that that person wants what you want in a place to live. It's really not such a hard thing to do, but as usual, people only glance at the thread topic and nothing else.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 11-14-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,838,828 times
Personally, I find South Carolina to be special and even charming, in its own way.

80% of what I like about any place is how well I respond to the people, and I remember folks in SC being pretty cool.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM

29,985 posts, read 27,535,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Personally, I find South Carolina to be special and even charming, in its own way.

80% of what I like about any place is how well I respond to the people, and I remember folks in SC being pretty cool.
I tend to feel the same way.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 30,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

So, if I am reading this correctly, you are currently residing in Texas? Would you prefer South Carolina over Texas to live long term and raise a family?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,838,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiaux View Post
So, if I am reading this correctly, you are currently residing in Texas? Would you prefer South Carolina over Texas to live long term and raise a family?
Yes, I am a native of Houston. Personally, if I had a choice between DFW and Columbia, I would definitely choose the former. There are many more amenities available locally and schools will most likely be better.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,227,192 times
It depends what you are looking for. I've never been to Texas and grew up in Columbia, SC.

- Columbia is a mid sized city, metro is approaching 800k.
- Plenty of outdoor activities (three rivers with rapids, Lake Murray, Harbison State Forest, Congaree National Park)
- Suburbs are typical of any other southern growing city.
- Big city amenities are found in Charlotte, NC (an hour or so away depending on what side of town you are on). Atlanta is not a bad drive either. So it's not like you are isolated.
- Carowinds (amusement park) is a hop and a skip away
- Mountains an hour and a half away and the Atlantic ocean an hour and a half away
- Quick drive to Asheville, Charleston, SC, Myrtle Beach, Augusta

- Weather is wonderful year round (summer, just put on the A/C and you are good)
- College atmosphere is amazing (SEC, South Carolina Football)
- Richland 2, Lexington-Richland District 5 has some of the top schools in the nation.

- The economy in Columbia is diverse. They do not rely on one industry. (Insurance capital, Military Base, Government Jobs, and USC with research dominates the city)

This is just coming from a native since you haven't visited either city, so I can only give my point of view on the city I was raised. But I would definitely spend about a week in both areas to see where you would like to live than online advice. Our opinions don't mean too too much without you actually experiencing them.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 104 times
Where did you end up move? How do you like it?

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

6,920 posts, read 6,235,852 times
One thing to consider her specifically concerning Mansfield and the DFW area. The growth is so explosive that what might be peaceful and serene now will be encased in a suburban morass in 10-20 years. Mansfield is 10 x bigger than it was 40 years ago and although it's still kind of on the edge of everything..............It won't be for long.

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

4,900 posts, read 3,024,013 times
You will love the hospitality in both places. Friendly people

Old Today, 07:43 AM

45,239 posts, read 36,447,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiaux View Post
Thanks for the continued information. We really are looking for an area where we won't be on top of our neighbors (3 acres approximately) but also would like to be close enough to have a wide range of things to do year round as well as places to eat and explore. We aren't big into nightlife but do appreciate small town life at the same time with enough options to keep us interested. Looking for safe communities and a volunteer fire department. Lastly, we want enough day and weekend trip options to keep us active. I know this is vague but I guess to summarize we want the small town feel with good people and the city amenities and enough things to do and go out to eat, etc. we are both in our mid 20's and would like to plan to purchase a house and raise a small family in a small town with good schools and good people as a long term goal.
As much as I love Texas in general, I have a saying - "Life's too short to live in Dallas." Dallas is a huge, sprawling, urban center - you would be lucky to find half an acre (and then you'd pay dearly for it) anywhere in the metroplex.

Heck, I live an hour and a half east of Dallas and between my home and Dallas, lots with any sort of acreage are so expensive it's not worth it to us, and parcels of land with 1-5 acres are ridiculously high. This is due to being so close to Dallas. An hour and a half or an hour or so in Texas is considered "close" by the way - LOL.

Based on your above description, I'd go with South Carolina - even though in my experience, South Carolina may be the most humid place in the US (with the possible exception of New Orleans!).

Oops, just realized that this is an old post. I wonder what the OP ended up doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.