Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 39,137 times

Advertisements

Greetings -

I have the opportunity to relocate from New York and I have it narrowed down between Mansfield and DFW area, Texas and Camden or Columbia, South Carolina. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury to visit either location prior. We have been looking at the numbers and schools pretty extensively but are struggling to come to a conclusion. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on either location that may make our decision a bit easier?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM

160 posts, read 365,596 times
Big city versus small city. Completely different choices. Go with your preference in size.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,790 times
It really isn't wise to move somewhere without visiting and scoping the place out first. I would personally pick the DFW area because it's a much larger city/metro area with plenty to do. If you don't want to live in the city you can live out in the country a little bit and not be far from big city amenities. The cost of living is cheap and it will be a good experience to see what Texas is all about. South Carolina just doesn't seem that appealing to me. Besides being on the coast and Myrtle Beach.....really doesn't seem to offer much but that's just my opinion ofcourse.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Thank you for the replies so far. We are most concerned with having things to do in either area. We keep coming back to the coastline being 90 minutes away from SC and the mountains being another two hours away so there seems to be a lot to do with those whereas Texas only has the cities. Tough call as both appear to be decent areas economically.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Living in DFW, you will be centered between the Texas Hill Country and Ouachita Mountains (a few hrs. to each). Neither are the Appalachians, but they're still nice. Austin is a few hours to the south, and the nicest part of the state's coast is about 7 hrs to the south...

Yeah, Texas is a big state, so I wouldn't say we only have the cities, but I do understand the appeal of the points in SC being a lot closer to those attractions.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
You'll definitely have more big city, urban amenities in the DFW area, no question about it. However, you'll have closer proximity to natural amenities in the Columbia area and bigger city amenities are just an hour or so away in Charlotte. One of Columbia's biggest selling points is its relatively centralized location to a variety of daytrip destinations (mountains in Asheville, foothills in Greenville, beaches in Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Hilton Head, Charlotte and Atlanta for big city amenities, etc.).

What else are you looking for in a place to live in terms of specific amenities, characteristics, etc.?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I think thats what it really boils down to.

If you are into urban ammenities, choose DFW.
If you are into outdoor activities, choose South Carolina.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
I do love SC.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the continued information. We really are looking for an area where we won't be on top of our neighbors (3 acres approximately) but also would like to be close enough to have a wide range of things to do year round as well as places to eat and explore. We aren't big into nightlife but do appreciate small town life at the same time with enough options to keep us interested. Looking for safe communities and a volunteer fire department. Lastly, we want enough day and weekend trip options to keep us active. I know this is vague but I guess to summarize we want the small town feel with good people and the city amenities and enough things to do and go out to eat, etc. we are both in our mid 20's and would like to plan to purchase a house and raise a small family in a small town with good schools and good people as a long term goal.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Living in DFW, you will be centered between the Texas Hill Country and Ouachita Mountains (a few hrs. to each). Neither are the Appalachians, but they're still nice. Austin is a few hours to the south, and the nicest part of the state's coast is about 7 hrs to the south...

Yeah, Texas is a big state, so I wouldn't say we only have the cities, but I do understand the appeal of the points in SC being a lot closer to those attractions.
Sounds like you live in Texas...how is the weather? Is the heat bearable and does it get so hot it becomes miserable? How about tornadoes/hurricane frequency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.