U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I ran into so many people like this in much of Portland, Oregon, I have never seen it to the extent that I did in that city. Then again that city has a very large population of homeless, druggies and people with mental illness roaming the streets. So I always felt that is why I saw so much of it there. Very antisocial types and people with odd ball behaviours in public places. That and the fact the city has very strange politics that allow all of this as everyday life. Portland's city motto is "Keep Portland Weird". The city most definitely lives up to its motto. Very weird place.
Actually the whole "Keep Portland Weird" thing was taken from Louisville then Austin which was created by the Louisville small business alliance organization and picked up by Austin to encourage people to buy local. So it was a marketing ploy in the beginning.

Portland simply tries to live up to its reputation of being hip and cool or whatever but sadly it's just becoming another overcrowded city careening towards urban blight. I find though that most people are pretty nice but as frustration takes over and competition for space, jobs and housing becomes even more fierce, I fear your description will be a lot more accurate.

I am heading out next spring. I wish everyone here the best of luck though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,760,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post

Is it random that the most usual sentence when somebody makes a New York accent parody is "you got a problem with that?"
Whenever I do a Castillian accent (all the time, I assure you) I say, "I claim this land in the name of Espain!" While planting an imaginary flag pole.

What does that tell you?

Also, In most places in my experience, the classic line for a New York parody accent is, "Fuhgeddaboudit" (Forget about it) which means, 'don't worry', 'no problem'. Hardly an anti-social statement.

'You got a problem with that?' is a parody of a Mafia hitman, hardly the archetypal New Yorker.

My point being, you have a good question, and good on you for asking it. The American South is stereotyped as very friendly, at least superfiacially, but you certainly encounter very suspicious, let's say 'guarded' people as well, especially if you are perceived as an outsider. In some remote, rural parts, Spaniards and New Yorkers are viewed as equally foreign. Both speak 'Southern' wrong and disdain sweet tea.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,543,308 times
One problem here is the disproportionate emphasis on New York and LA in American movies and television. Together metro New York and LA make up something like 12% of the U.S. population. A large number to be sure, but it seems (don't have stats) that a much higher share of American movies and TV are set in those cities. So there are lots of movies to propagate stereotyped/exaggerated/partial images of those cities, while the seamy side of, say, Kansas City, generally goes unexplored.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,586,180 times
Javier brings up a good point about movies and popular culture. The image portrayed by Hollywood about American culture is very cynical and warped and often foreigners have no other knowledge the US than that. That may contribute to a lot of the contempt for the US around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or