U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM

16 posts, read 34,023 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to potentially relocate. We currently live in Loveland, CO and we are just not happy here. Ideally we would like to be in Fort Collins, CO. I grew up just east of there in a very small, rural, town. While I prefer the hustle and bustle of a city, I still like the comforting, small town, feel. A place where you can walk outside and the majority of people you pass will flash a friendly smile, tell you hello, etc. We have very small children (ranging in ages of 7 to 9 months) so the many free and inexpensive activities are very appealling. My husband and I are very big with the community events. We love the festivals, the runs, etc. I love that no matter where you are, there is a park, grocery store, etc within walking distance of anywhere you may be within city limits. The local art and music scene are incredibly important to me. Also, a good university as I'm in school. Old town is hands town my favorite place, ever. I realize I am painting this beautiful picture and you're all probably thinking "why are you leaving if you love it so much?" The truth is, we just can't afford to live here. In order to meet our needs, rent alone would run us an average of $1100-$1600. Our monthly income only totals about $1200 per month. So now my question is what are our options? Are there any other cities comparable to Fort Collins with a lower cost of living? We've considered Charleston, SC thus far. Can anyone tell me more about it in comparison? Other suggestions? Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Maybe places like Ithaca, Brockport and Oneonta NY; Ann Arbor and East Lansing MI; Charlottesville, Harrisonburg and Blacksburg VA and Athens and Oxford OH, among others.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM

21,201 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Given your very tough budget your choices are limited, but I think Athens (home of the University of Georgia) fits your criteria quite well.

Athens Georgia travel, vacation, events, hotels, music, & attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or