U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The shortest distance between my home and the nearest border of my state is...
0-10 miles 96 28.66%
10-30 miles 79 23.58%
30-60 miles 43 12.84%
60-100 miles 43 12.84%
100-150 miles 24 7.16%
150-200 miles 20 5.97%
200-300 miles 15 4.48%
More than 300 miles 15 4.48%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:22 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,035,020 times

Advertisements

You may be right. To put it in crazy perspective, the Florida-Georgia line is actually a shorter drive to Richmond VA than it is to Key West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 09:29 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,322,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
How do you live in NYC and are on the border of NJ?
I'm not talking about the distance from my apartment. I'm using the entire city. I don't live in the Hudson river, lol

Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 PM

292 posts, read 206,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Surprised by how many people live extremely close to the border...

Not really that surprising. I would suspect that the population of posters on this site from the Northeast is pretty high. There are a lot of people living either in relatively small states (such as MA, CT, RI, etc.) who by dint of geography will necessarily live close to their state's border. It's not really possible to be far from a state border in some of those states. Other people will live in large urban areas in relatively big states that are fairly close to a border (such as New York City, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, DC, etc.) Again that would skew the distribution toward smaller distances to state borders.
Don't forget to add Chicago to that mix. Chicago the city itself actually borders Indiana!

Actually it seems to be a Great Lakes/Midwest thing to be very close or border another city. St. Louis borders another state, Minneapolis is very close to the border with Wisconsin, Milwaukee is very close to the Illinois border, Detroit borders Canada, Cincy borders Kentucky. Kansas City borders Kansas. Seems common in the Midwest.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,714,548 times
LA is around 250 miles from the Arizona border and Phoenix is about 150 miles from California.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:24 PM

7,166 posts, read 9,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm not talking about the distance from my apartment. I'm using the entire city. I don't live in the Hudson river, lol
I think that most of us are using our actual homes for the mileage lol. Otherwise I could say zero miles too because Suffolk County in New York borders two other states, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Anyway interesting fun fact about the New York City boroughs - all five of them border New Jersey. Staten Island and Manhattan are pretty obvious with the Bronx being pretty well known too I guess (across the Hudson River to Bergen County, New Jersey). Less known is Brooklyn (across Upper New York Bay to Hudson County, New Jersey) and Queens (across the Lower Bay to Monmouth County, New Jersey).

Old 11-08-2016, 07:11 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,992,380 times
^^My thoughts exactly about the distance measurement.

But I think you're reaching with the Queens to New Jersey border. That portion of the Lower Bay is most likely in Staten Island's jurisdiction.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:16 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,339,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
You may be right. To put it in crazy perspective, the Florida-Georgia line is actually a shorter drive to Richmond VA than it is to Key West.
To folks in Central Florida or North Florida vacation in the keys? Do they drive or fly?

Old 11-08-2016, 09:03 AM

771 posts, read 1,213,537 times
I live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. For me, its less than 5 miles if I decide to swim across the state line to Maryland. But if I want to drive, its a bit over 20 miles.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM

7,166 posts, read 9,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
^^My thoughts exactly about the distance measurement.

But I think you're reaching with the Queens to New Jersey border. That portion of the Lower Bay is most likely in Staten Island's jurisdiction.
The Wikipedia article says that Queens borders Staten Island, somewhere in lower New York Bay. But if you look at a map that shows county boundaries, Queens and Monmouth border each other also. Basically because of the way the Rockaway peninsula sticks out, Queens cuts off Kings (Brooklyn) from bordering Monmouth.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM

979 posts, read 359,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
Don't forget to add Chicago to that mix. Chicago the city itself actually borders Indiana!

Actually it seems to be a Great Lakes/Midwest thing to be very close or border another city. St. Louis borders another state, Minneapolis is very close to the border with Wisconsin, Milwaukee is very close to the Illinois border, Detroit borders Canada, Cincy borders Kentucky. Kansas City borders Kansas. Seems common in the Midwest.

Some of that, such as St Louis, for example, arises because large cities have historically developed along rivers. State boundaries often also used rivers as a natural boundary. In the Midwest, you have the Ohio and the Mississippi river serving both functions. Many cities have grown along their banks, and both rivers form state boundaries for much of their length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or