U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the westernmost city in the Southeastern United States?
Little Rock, Arkansas 15 15.15%
Tulsa, Oklahoma 7 7.07%
Dallas, Texas 24 24.24%
Houston, Texas 17 17.17%
San Antonio, Texas 15 15.15%
El Paso, Texas 12 12.12%
Other (Explain!) 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Exactly. We have humongous live oaks here in Southeast Texas, and I've seen them from here to South Carolina.

Magnolias and bayous are two other popular traits of the Deep South landscape, and they're not only hallmarks of Houston, but they're part of this city's oldest and most popular nicknames.
Good point!

PLANTS Profile for Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss) | USDA PLANTS

http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/magngran.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,060,954 times
Quote:
I consider the physical Southeast to be the south that is east of the Mississippi River. That's what I've always understood it to mean. Being the largest city to straddle the river, New Orleans seems to act as the gateway between both regions, especially since it has as much in common with areas west as it does with places just east of it.

I was thinking that the OP was essentially asking which is the westernmost city that is Southeastern "in spirit". My answer is Houston. Of course, the westernmost city actually in the SE is New Orleans.

For those of you that include Arkansas and Louisiana in the Southeast, there's no logical explanation you can give me that would explain how East Texas (including Houston) doesn't belong.
How the Southeast is defined largely depends on the map you look at.

I have no problem including Houston as part of the Southeast and in fact probably would. You cannot exclude the Mississippi Delta states of Arkansas and Louisiana however. They are very similar culturally and geographically to West Tennessee and Mississippi.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,821,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I have no problem including Houston as part of the Southeast and in fact probably would. You cannot exclude the Mississippi Delta states of Arkansas and Louisiana however. They are very similar culturally and geographically to West Tennessee and Mississippi.
I never said there's one universal definition of the Southeast, but designating that classification for states east of the Mississippi makes perfect sense to me, if we're talking solely about geography and history.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,695,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I exclude La and Ark from the southeast always. What is west of the Miss. River is not eastern. Simply the word describing the region should be "south" and not anything else.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM

I think furthering the discussion to what's "eastern" makes things exceptionally more complicated.

I pretty much see the Eastern US as a sum two large parts: everything east of the Mississippi and points west of the river that are still in the physical eastern half of the mainland. The latter applies to Arkansas, Louisiana, East Texas, and East Oklahoma, but I still don't include them in the more exclusive Southeast; a region with a solid and historically relevant western boundary.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,786,445 times
Quote:
On second thought, I think we've forgotten that Baton Rouge is west of New Orleans, so, technically, I guess it would be the westernmost major city in the SE.
Agreed. I change my vote to Baton Rouge. Nowhere west of BR should be considered the Southeast.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,786,445 times
Houston just isn't part of the Southeast to me. Yeah, cutlurally it has a similar gulf culture to NO. But it's well West of of NO. It's close enough to be culturally linked and close enough for a quick weekend trip, but Houston's only 2hr30mins from Austin and SA, two very culturally Western South cities. West Houston metro even takes after the region it abuts in terms of geography. The Southern pines get thiner and eventually dissappear the further West you drive in Houston.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Houston just isn't part of the Southeast to me. Yeah, cutlurally it has a similar gulf culture to NO. But it's well West of of NO. It's close enough to be culturally linked and close enough for a quick weekend trip, but Houston's only 2hr30mins from Austin and SA, two very culturally Western South cities. West Houston metro even takes after the region it abuts in terms of geography. The Southern pines get thiner and eventually dissappear the further West you drive in Houston.
I used to live in Atlanta, and I felt more at home there than I ever have in Austin or San Antonio, and that's the honest-to-God truth. Physical distance doesn't mean nearly as much as you seem to think it does. Charlotte, NC is closer to Philadelphia than it is to Jackson, MS.

Many parts of the Southeast have very few if any pines at all. The terrain of Greater New Orleans is almost identical to Houston: pine and oak woodlands mixed in with bayous, marshland, and coastal prairie.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM

811 posts, read 825,544 times
Southeastern: Memphis, TN

(Memphis is actually further west than New Orleans. Shreveport and the Arkansas cities are west of the Mississippi River, so they're south-central, not southeastern, though they are both a part of the south.)

Southern: Odessa, Texas (for an actual city, not a small town)

Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Southeastern: Memphis, TN

(Memphis is actually further west than New Orleans. Shreveport and the Arkansas cities are west of the Mississippi River, so they're south-central, not southeastern, though they are both a part of the south.)

Southern: Odessa, Texas (for an actual city, not a small town)
So why not Baton Rouge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or