Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the westernmost city in the Southeastern United States?
Little Rock, Arkansas 15 14.85%
Tulsa, Oklahoma 7 6.93%
Dallas, Texas 24 23.76%
Houston, Texas 18 17.82%
San Antonio, Texas 15 14.85%
El Paso, Texas 13 12.87%
Other (Explain!) 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So why not Baton Rouge?
Good point. Memphis or Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
I used to live in Atlanta, and I felt more at home there than I ever have in Austin or San Antonio, and that's the honest-to-God truth. Physical distance doesn't mean nearly as much as you seem to think it does. Charlotte, NC is closer to Philadelphia than it is to Jackson, MS.

Many parts of the Southeast have very few if any pines at all. The terrain of Greater New Orleans is almost identical to Houston: pine and oak woodlands mixed in with bayous, marshland, and coastal prairie.
I just drove from Miami to Charlotte NC, and what links all the areas in between the 2 cities are the abundance of pines that you encounter for hours on end. Either way, Houston just isn't in the Southeast. Culturally yea, physically, no. I agree with you that Houston is way more culturally identical to Atlanta than it is to Austin, both cities are magnants for black professionals, and are quite Southern in culture. But most of the US would have to live in the NW quadrant of the US if anywhere in Texas was considered the Southeast.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I just drove from Miami to Charlotte NC, and what links all the areas in between the 2 cities are the abundance of pines that you encounter for hours on end. Either way, Houston just isn't in the Southeast. Culturally yea, physically, no. I agree with you that Houston is way more culturally identical to Atlanta than it is to Austin, both cities are magnants for black professionals, and are quite Southern in culture. But most of the US would have to live in the NW quadrant of the US if anywhere in Texas was considered the Southeast.
I know for a fact that there are huge areas of Florida that are virtually pineless, so I can safely say that I'm sure you didn't see pines the whole way. Either way, my point still stands that many parts of the Southeast don't have pines, so the fact that Houston isn't covered in them is irrelevant.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
I know for a fact that there are huge areas of Florida that are virtually pineless, so I can safely say that I'm sure you didn't see pines the whole way. Either way, my point still stands that many parts of the Southeast don't have pines, so the fact that Houston isn't covered in them is irrelevant.
Most of Houston is, the Western half isn't. That was my original point. And yes, most of Florida isn't covered, South Florida is more tropical and diffirent from the rest of the South.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Most of Houston is, the Western half isn't. That was my original point. And yes, most of Florida isn't covered, South Florida is more tropical and diffirent from the rest of the South.
Actually, western Houston does have stands of pines. It's the southern reaches of the metro that doesn't have them.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
I has vote Tulsa.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
I used to consider "the southeast" to be similar to "the South". I think this was largely because I considered the states in the southeastern conference to be the southeast.

But these days I tend to think of the general dividing point being the Mississippi River. That would make somewhere like Natchez, MS the westernmost city. That is a pretty small "city" though, so you could consider the westernmost city to be one of the bigger cities along the Mississippi such as Memphis or Baton Rouge.

Places like Little Rock, Houston, and Dallas are still southern, but I think they would be considered South Central instead of Southeastern.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:59 AM

96 posts, read 133,143 times
IMO the western most southeastern cities are Little Rock, AR and Houston, TX. But Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso are all southwestern cities, while Tulsa is more so midwest southern

Old 12-25-2013, 07:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Mooleyville, Kentucky, the western-most point where you reset your clock from Eastern to Central time, and you enter the South-Central United States.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
The westernmost area of the Southeast in cultural terms is the part of Texas east of the Trinity, from the Piney Woods region to the Beaumont-Port Arthur region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.