Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the westernmost city in the Southeastern United States?
Little Rock, Arkansas 15 14.85%
Tulsa, Oklahoma 7 6.93%
Dallas, Texas 24 23.76%
Houston, Texas 18 17.82%
San Antonio, Texas 15 14.85%
El Paso, Texas 13 12.87%
Other (Explain!) 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times

Advertisements

Are people using the Southeast as a synonym of the South, or are they strictly referring to the eastern part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 01:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Well, Houston is the only place on the list where you don't get funny looks at a diner when you ask for grits, unless you're at Waffle House.
Far as I can tell, Southeastern Culture ends when you cross the Mississippi River, unless you're in Southern Louisiana, then it seems to extend to somewhere around the Sabine River or the Atchafalaya.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Far as I can tell, Southeastern Culture ends when you cross the Mississippi River, unless you're in Southern Louisiana, then it seems to extend to somewhere around the Sabine River or the Atchafalaya.
The South extends further west in North Louisiana than in South Louisiana. Shreveport is still the south, but Lake Charles might not be. Maybe the Red River is a better dividing line. Acadiana is a region of its own, not the true South which is Protestant above any thing else.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM

96 posts, read 133,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Personally I think topography and architecture, in which west Texas has more in common with the Southwest than the Southeast, is just as important in creating the overall feel of a place as religion and voting patterns. But you are right, the true Southwest has far more of a Spanish/Native American influence as is very evident in New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California with the exception of the coastal metropolises.

What about San Antonio? Does it fit more with the Southeast or the Southwest?
Yes you are correct San Antonio is southwest and definitely no part of the southeast period maybe somewhat southern as in South Central southern. Now Houston has more in common with the southeast though

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post
Yes you are correct San Antonio is southwest and definitely no part of the southeast period maybe somewhat southern as in South Central southern. Now Houston has more in common with the southeast though
Keep going east, because even Houston is South Central Southern.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
This is a great question. Good job bchris for coming up with it. I did some serious thinking and I think I have to go with Dallas. As someone said earlier Dalls is where the South ends and where the West begins in Fort Worth. Although Houston by far is the most Southern. I think it may be one of the few Texas cities that claims to be culturally Southern and Texan. I was also leaning Tulsa.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This is a great question. Good job bchris for coming up with it. I did some serious thinking and I think I have to go with Dallas. As someone said earlier Dalls is where the South ends and where the West begins in Fort Worth. Although Houston by far is the most Southern. I think it may be one of the few Texas cities that claims to be culturally Southern and Texan. I was also leaning Tulsa.
Oklahoma City/Tulsa and Fort Worth, Dallas, and Lubbock/Amarillo are all viable candidates for Westernmost boundary of the South.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Oklahoma City/Tulsa and Fort Worth, Dallas, and Lubbock/Amarillo are all viable candidates for Westernmost boundary of the South.
I would agree however, I think that Tulsa is sort of in it's own catagory, OKC, Ft Worth, and Dallas are similar, and Lubbock/Amarillo are different from the others.

Compared to the others, Lubbock and Amarillo are much more western. Having grown up in Oklahoma City, the first place I moved to outside of Oklahoma was Lubbock and it was palpably different than OKC. Perhaps it's just a function of the size of the cities but cows, cowboy hats, and boots per capita was waaay higher in west Texas than in OKC.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I would agree however, I think that Tulsa is sort of in it's own catagory, OKC, Ft Worth, and Dallas are similar, and Lubbock/Amarillo are different from the others.

Compared to the others, Lubbock and Amarillo are much more western. Having grown up in Oklahoma City, the first place I moved to outside of Oklahoma was Lubbock and it was palpably different than OKC. Perhaps it's just a function of the size of the cities but cows, cowboy hats, and boots per capita was waaay higher in west Texas than in OKC.

Not to mention that overt Texas pride!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
From my experience (albeit back in the early 90s) definitely felt Western in Amarillo. I saw my first tumbleweed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.