U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the westernmost city in the Southeastern United States?
Little Rock, Arkansas 15 15.15%
Tulsa, Oklahoma 7 7.07%
Dallas, Texas 24 24.24%
Houston, Texas 17 17.17%
San Antonio, Texas 15 15.15%
El Paso, Texas 12 12.12%
Other (Explain!) 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times

Advertisements

Which city is the westernmost city Southeastern in culture? When I say Southeastern, think the culture of Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, Memphis, etc. A city where people say y'all and ma'am and wake up every morning to biscuits and grits. Cities where there are historic neighborhoods neighborhoods fill with Southern charm lined with tall oak or magnolia trees. I've narrowed it down to these.

-Little Rock, Arkansas
-Tulsa, Oklahoma
-Dallas, Texas
-Houston, Texas
-San Antonio, Texas
-El Paso, Texas (though not Southern in culture at all, its the real westernmost city in Confederate territory!)

If its not one of these, what would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Ill go with Tulsa or even Dallas. Any further west and you are in "the west"

Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ill go with Tulsa or even Dallas. Any further west and you are in "the west"
Agreed. In Texas they say Dallas is where the East ends and Fort Worth is where the west begins. That said, one could make the case for Little Rock. Little Rock is the westernmost outpost of the Deep South in my opinion. The Deep South, by my definition, is the areas that have an agrarian tradition and had plantations. They also have a very high African American population to this date.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
Fort Worth

Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM

930 posts, read 1,285,014 times
I'd go farther and say Lubbock. People there have Southern accents, are Baptist and most of the surrounding counties are dry.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I'd go farther and say Lubbock. People there have Southern accents, are Baptist and most of the surrounding counties are dry.
This is a possibility. In the true west you see more Catholics and LDS and less Southern Baptists. Outside of religion though is culture in Lubbock similar to Birmingham? As for alcohol, Utah, Colorado, and Oklahoma have some of the strictest laws in the nation, moreso than any Southeastern states. I have always viewed West Texas is western in culture moreso than Southeastern.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM

930 posts, read 1,285,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is a possibility. In the true west you see more Catholics and LDS and less Southern Baptists. Outside of religion though is culture in Lubbock similar to Birmingham? As for alcohol, Utah, Colorado, and Oklahoma have some of the strictest laws in the nation, moreso than any Southeastern states. I have always viewed West Texas is western in culture moreso than Southeastern.
West Texas has some of the highest concentration of Baptists in the United States.
http://philebersole.files.wordpress....02/baptist.gif

The only part of West Texas that I'd consider to be Western is the Trans-Pecos area around El Paso. It's a very Southern/Texan area... don't let the topography fool you.

Last edited by JMT; 11-16-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,854,012 times
Dallas. El Paso is a little more assimilated with the southwestern culture.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM

6,859 posts, read 6,191,990 times
Nothing in Texas or Oklahoma is completely "southern" although I would say that Houston is the most "southern" city in Texas. I'm going to say that Ft.Smith or Shreveport is the western most completely southern town;

DFW has too much plains in it to be completely southern.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
West Texas has some of the highest concentration of Baptists in the United States.
http://philebersole.files.wordpress....02/baptist.gif

The only part of West Texas that I'd consider to be Western is the Trans-Pecos area around El Paso. It's a very Southern/Texan area... don't let the topography fool you.
True, if you consider Baptist churches the primary indicator of Southern-ness. However, are people in Lubbock or Amarillo similar culturally to people in Birmingham or Jackson MS in ways other than religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or