U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM

7,174 posts, read 9,974,090 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say, someone mentioned that Maryland was never part of the South historically, which I disagree with. Strictly speaking historically, Maryland was part of the South and Delaware was part of the North, at least in the 1700s.

Interestingly, Delaware was only semi-independent of Pennsylvania until the Revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,821,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I'm pretty sure that person is just trolling. There are several instances of him/her jumping in on "southern" threads and giving that point of view. Lots of posters have given well-reasoned arguments to the contrary and he/she just responds the same way every time.

In any event, he/she is not interested in a reasoned discussion, and their primary reason for posting seems to be to get a rise out of people, so I think they are just best ignored.
So when in doubt resort to Elementary name calling and incoherent ranting which will not change the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.....

Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,821,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Mid Atlantic fits Maryland best...and it is increasigly becoming the better identifier for Virginia. Maryland has southern and northern elements but claming that Maryland, as a whole, is a southern state is completely ridiculous.
Maryland and Virginia is not to be regionally separated due to its ties with DC so yeah I agree that Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia can be classifies as the Mid-Atlantic region with the extensions to North Carolina, Kentucky,Pennsylvania, and New Jersey...

However Maryland/Virginia will be South Mid-Atlantic and Pennsylvania/New Jersey will be North Mid-Atlantic

Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 10,526,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland and Virginia is not to be regionally separated due to its ties with DC so yeah I agree that Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia can be classifies as the Mid-Atlantic region with the extensions to North Carolina, Kentucky,Pennsylvania, and New Jersey...

However Maryland/Virginia will be South Mid-Atlantic and Pennsylvania/New Jersey will be North Mid-Atlantic
I have never heard of Kentucky being part of the Mid-Atlantic region.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,857,876 times
These threads always turn into a battle of whether Maryland is a Southern state or not. If MD wants to be Southern, than MD's gonna have to deal with the stereotypes that come with it. Therefore, Baltimore folks, and DC folks are all Bammas. THERE!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 AM

582 posts, read 782,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
So when in doubt resort to Elementary name calling and incoherent ranting which will not change the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.....
An emoticon cannot properly express my feelings about this post...

Now folks, move along to the original question: what states belong in what group within the south, not what states belong in the south and which states belong out.

Lest the fair Maryland completely hijack yet another thread, like it tends to do. Lets make this a temporary hijack.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 AM

10,174 posts, read 6,536,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
These threads always turn into a battle of whether Maryland is a Southern state or not. If MD wants to be Southern, than MD's gonna have to deal with the stereotypes that come with it. Therefore, Baltimore folks, and DC folks are all Bammas. THERE!!!

Anyone who stereotypes people from any region is purely ignorant. Why would one worry about what stupid people think?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM

7,174 posts, read 9,974,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
An emoticon cannot properly express my feelings about this post...

Now folks, move along to the original question: what states belong in what group within the south, not what states belong in the south and which states belong out.

Lest the fair Maryland completely hijack yet another thread, like it tends to do. Lets make this a temporary hijack.

Fair enough, this is how I more or less divide the South. Some states are in more than one area.

The Greater South
includes all Southeast and Western South states

Southeast
includes all Upper and Deep South states
(except Louisana & eastern Texas)

Upper South

Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland*, Washington DC *, can include Tennessee and North Carolina

Deep South
Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Louisana & eastern Texas

Western South aka South Central aka Transmissippi
Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and Arkansas

Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM

478 posts, read 652,968 times
My take, and this is based more on tradition and history, not so much on who's been transplanted where:

Texas==its own region

Southern Louisiana==its own region

Traditional deep south=Northern LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, Northern FL

South Florida==its own region, not really "southern" in a traditional sense

"Atlantic" South=MD, VA, NC

Interior south=WV, KY, TN, AR, possibly southern MO & Eastern OK. Also includes portions of the Ohio Valley in traditionally "northern" states like IL.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,805,970 times
I think the most appropriate way to express divisions in the south are cultural rather than geographic. Someone may have already listed these on here, but here are my definitions:

Appalachia: Southern West Virginia, Southwestern Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina, And To a sligthly lesser degree extreme western SC and extreme northeastern Georgia. (characterized by hillbilly culture, moonshine, banjos, etc)

Gulf South: East Texas, Gulf LA, Gulf MS, Gulf AL, and FL Panhandle (seafood, mardi gras, spanish moss, etc)

Inland South: Central Texas, Arkansas, the rest of TN, MS, LA, AL, and KY (generic south...college football, sweet tea, and jesus)

Coastal South: North Florida to central Florida coast, coastal GA, coastal SC, Coastal NC, Coastal VA (stopping at DC exurbs) (More good seafood, party scene, more college football, old south, hot ass women!)

Metro South: ATL, Charlotte, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Raleigh-Durham, Birmingham, etc. (Rapidly changing, New south, transplant population, diluted southern identity, diversity, democratic, etc)

I'm sure there are more divisions out there and some areas I'm not accounting for, but theres my take on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or