U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I think the most appropriate way to express divisions in the south are cultural rather than geographic. Someone may have already listed these on here, but here are my definitions:

Appalachia: Southern West Virginia, Southwestern Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina, And To a sligthly lesser degree extreme western SC and extreme northeastern Georgia. (characterized by hillbilly culture, moonshine, banjos, etc)

Gulf South: East Texas, Gulf LA, Gulf MS, Gulf AL, and FL Panhandle (seafood, mardi gras, spanish moss, etc)

Inland South: Central Texas, Arkansas, the rest of TN, MS, LA, AL, and KY (generic south...college football, sweet tea, and jesus)

Coastal South: North Florida to central Florida coast, coastal GA, coastal SC, Coastal NC, Coastal VA (stopping at DC exurbs) (More good seafood, party scene, more college football, old south, hot ass women!)

Metro South: ATL, Charlotte, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Raleigh-Durham, Birmingham, etc. (Rapidly changing, New south, transplant population, diluted southern identity, diversity, democratic, etc)

I'm sure there are more divisions out there and some areas I'm not accounting for, but theres my take on it.

Save a certain compulsion -- IMHO -- to be a bit loose with stereotypes -- the above was a decent job. Anyway, yeah, you DID leave one out. That is, the "Western South"

Consisting, generally, of that part of Texas west of I-35 E, all the way to the New Mexico border (yet excluding the trans-pecos area), it is where the essentials of Southern history and culture is heavily blended with post-bellum "western frontier" traits.

It is Southern in its basics. It is "western" in its topographical environment and formation after the War. It is the true Southwest. It is something very much different from the interior Southwest of New Mexico and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,796,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Save a certain compulsion -- IMHO -- to be a bit loose with stereotypes -- the above was a decent job. Anyway, yeah, you DID leave one out. That is, the "Western South"

Consisting, generally, of that part of Texas west of I-35 E, all the way to the New Mexico border (yet excluding the trans-pecos area), it is where the essentials of Southern history and culture is heavily blended with post-bellum "western frontier" traits.

It is Southern in its basics. It is "western" in its topographical environment and formation after the War. It is the true Southwest. It is something very much different from the interior Southwest of New Mexico and Arizona.
Agreed. I'm a bit egocentric having grown up in Appalachia (southwest Virginia). But I agree...west Texas is definitely southern.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Fair enough, this is how I more or less divide the South. Some states are in more than one area.

The Greater South
includes all Southeast and Western South states

Southeast
includes all Upper and Deep South states
(except Louisana & eastern Texas)

Upper South[/color]
Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland*, Washington DC *, can include Tennessee and North Carolina

Deep South
Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Louisana & eastern Texas

Western South aka South Central aka Transmissippi
Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and Arkansas
Was not including South Carolina in the Deep South an oversight, or am I missing something?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:54 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Was not including South Carolina in the Deep South an oversight, or am I missing something?
No, your not missing something, I am missing something! A entire state! Sorry about that South Carolina.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,807,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
These threads always turn into a battle of whether Maryland is a Southern state or not. If MD wants to be Southern, than MD's gonna have to deal with the stereotypes that come with it. Therefore, Baltimore folks, and DC folks are all Bammas. THERE!!!
To be quite honest with you a lot of SE DC folks refer to Upper NW(aka Uptown) DC folx as Bamas and most DC area folx already know how some DC folx refer to Baltimore folx as red color hair wearing, country no style of dressing, broken English speaking Bamas...............

Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
An emoticon cannot properly express my feelings about this post...

Now folks, move along to the original question: what states belong in what group within the south, not what states belong in the south and which states belong out.

Lest the fair Maryland completely hijack yet another thread, like it tends to do. Lets make this a temporary hijack.
Point is don't matter how opinions are expelled upon this subject it will not remove the Fact that Maryland is part of the South, the Upper South but definitely the south...

Last edited by $mk8795; 12-02-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Anyone who stereotypes people from any region is purely ignorant. Why would one worry about what stupid people think?
Well Said...

Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Lets dissect your post.

1. I do say.

2. You have never posted "facts." You just repeat your dumbass assertions.

3. It's everyones opinion.

4. Wrong.

5. I like Maryland....But is isn't southern. Further...you have no evidence to support your assertion. All that you have is pestulance and the argumentative graces of a scorned Maltese.

I think you are a self-loathing Yankee. I'm sorry...I know it's tough being a Yankee when all of us cool southerners are hanging out here trying to learn more about our culture. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable in the New York or New Jersey forums.
Dude If you really know what a Yankee is you would not throw that word around soo much.

I hate to tell you this but your a Yankee too because anything North of the Caribbean/South America is considered Yankee....

Jamaicans are well known for referring to ALL AMERICANS as Dem' Yankee People....

Oh and Yeah Maryland is a Southern State despite your biased views against the state....

Its been known that a lot of people from the deep South are not too fond of Maryland.........

Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,767,853 times
Yeah, Yankee is a term referring to ALL Americans. In particular, folks from the Caribbean refer to Americans as this. But then again, most of the Caribbean people that refer to Americans as Yankees are from the Caribbean Islands that were under British control. Coincidence? "Yankee Doodle went to town" you know the rest. In other words, Yankee is a historical pejorative used to refer to members of the 13 colonies by the Brits. Of course, since America got bigger, the term is now meant as a term used to refer to ALL Americans from NY to CA.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,037,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, Yankee is a term referring to ALL Americans. In particular, folks from the Caribbean refer to Americans as this. But then again, most of the Caribbean people that refer to Americans as Yankees are from the Caribbean Islands that were under British control. Coincidence? "Yankee Doodle went to town" you know the rest. In other words, Yankee is a historical pejorative used to refer to members of the 13 colonies by the Brits. Of course, since America got bigger, the term is now meant as a term used to refer to ALL Americans from NY to CA.
Yeah, but confederates used it way back when to further split from the Union and Southerners still using it harks back to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or