U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,783,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Yeah, but confederates used it way back when to further split from the Union and Southerners still using it harks back to that.
I know this, I live in the South. But historically, it's more accurate that it refers to Americans in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM

181 posts, read 282,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore isn't like the rest of the south.
Neither is Florida --- we're south of the south with a mostly NE and Mid Western displaced population.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,783,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
Neither is Florida --- we're south of the south with a mostly NE and Mid Western displaced population.
There are still many Southern Blacks in Florida.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,819,590 times
I thought I'd use cities as markers:

General Deep South - Jasper (TX), Shreveport, Jackson, Montgomery, Albany (GA), Tallahassee, Florence (SC)

Gulf Coast South - Houston, Galveston, Beaumont, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Panama City, Tampa

Piedmont South - Birmingham, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond

Atlantic Coast South - St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News

Upper South - Nashville, Knoxville, Greenville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Lexington, Blacksburg, Roanoke

Mid South - Memphis, Oxford, Little Rock, El Dorado, Texarkana

Plains South - Waco, Corsicana, Dallas, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Tulsa

Western Highlands - Hot Springs, Fort Smith, Fayetteville (AR), Springfield (MO), Poteau

Texas - Austin, San Antonio, Midland-Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo

It's rather incomplete, and I admit that I struggled with some, but it's most geographical. Discussions about the cultural barriers are far too complicated, relative, and (especially) tiring.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM

29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Piedmont South - Birmingham, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond

Upper South - Nashville, Knoxville, Greenville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Lexington, Blacksburg, Roanoke
Some of the Piedmont designations can get a bit tricky. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro (which you didn't mention but is included) are all solid Piedmont cities without question. Now Augusta, Columbia, Raleigh, and Richmond are all fall line cities, where the coastal plain meets the Piedmont. Raleigh and Richmond are generally considered Piedmont cities although they aren't centralized within the region, but Columbia and Augusta are a bit iffy because of their inclusion in the Sandhills region (literally a narrow band of ancient sand dunes that constituted the shoreline way back when the coastal plain areas were under water) which results in some subtle physiographic and climate differences that distinguish them somewhat from other fall line cities and certainly from Piedmont cities. The region stretches from NC barely into AL and includes Fayetteville, Columbia, Augusta, Macon, Columbus, and Phenix City, AL. I say that to say that Columbia and Augusta don't completely fit into the Piedmont, being located in the transition zone they are in. Out of your designations, they might fit best under "General Deep South."

I agree with most of your Upper South cities, but Greenville belongs in the Piedmont South category which is generally correlated with the I-85 corridor between Richmond/Petersburg and Atlanta.

Great job overall though!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM

933 posts, read 1,609,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Some of the Piedmont designations can get a bit tricky. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro (which you didn't mention but is included) are all solid Piedmont cities without question.
Okay, so I had to look up Piedmont, since I'd never heard of it before the "Harrisburg vs Winston-Salem" thread. Apparently geographically, although not culturally, a good number of major cities are in this region including DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Newark. Crazy, I'd never heard the term before.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Okay, so I had to look up Piedmont, since I'd never heard of it before the "Harrisburg vs Winston-Salem" thread. Apparently geographically, although not culturally, a good number of major cities are in this region including DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Newark. Crazy, I'd never heard the term before.
Yep; it's probably used more in the South because it contrasts with the large coastal plain region and is the gateway into Appalachia. Now DC, Baltimore, and Philly are more accurately fall line cities, but because there's not much coastal plain to the east/south of those cities, they are more or less generally lumped in with the Piedmont.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,819,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Some of the Piedmont designations can get a bit tricky. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro (which you didn't mention but is included) are all solid Piedmont cities without question. Now Augusta, Columbia, Raleigh, and Richmond are all fall line cities, where the coastal plain meets the Piedmont. Raleigh and Richmond are generally considered Piedmont cities although they aren't centralized within the region, but Columbia and Augusta are a bit iffy because of their inclusion in the Sandhills region (literally a narrow band of ancient sand dunes that constituted the shoreline way back when the coastal plain areas were under water) which results in some subtle physiographic and climate differences that distinguish them somewhat from other fall line cities and certainly from Piedmont cities. The region stretches from NC barely into AL and includes Fayetteville, Columbia, Augusta, Macon, Columbus, and Phenix City, AL. I say that to say that Columbia and Augusta don't completely fit into the Piedmont, being located in the transition zone they are in. Out of your designations, they might fit best under "General Deep South."

I agree with most of your Upper South cities, but Greenville belongs in the Piedmont South category which is generally correlated with the I-85 corridor between Richmond/Petersburg and Atlanta.

Great job overall though!
Good points. Like I said, I struggled with some of these, especially Greenville and Nashville. For some reason, whenever I visted Columbia, it always seemed more Piedmont than Deep South, but I confess to not knowing the city extremely well. Augusta is like half Piedmont and half Deep South. It did feel more Birmingham than Jackson, though.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Good points. Like I said, I struggled with some of these, especially Greenville and Nashville. For some reason, whenever I visted Columbia, it always seemed more Piedmont than Deep South, but I confess to not knowing the city extremely well. Augusta is like half Piedmont and half Deep South. It did feel more Birmingham than Jackson, though.
That sounds about right. Columbia and Augusta have a lot of similarities and you get similar feels from both. I think the hilly nature of both, being in the Sandhills region, gives them a characteristic of the Piedmont--although the hills of the Piedmont are different in composition and resulted from different historic geographical forces than those in the Sandhills.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM

48,284 posts, read 45,576,705 times
My humble opinion:

What I call the South: Missouri south of the St. Louis metropolitan area, the far southern reaches of Illinois, far southern Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia south of the panhandle, Virginia below the Rapahannock river, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida north of Disneyworld, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, the far eastern part of Texas, the far east part of Oklahoma.

Points where the South ends:
Northern points: Cincinnati,OH;Wheeling,WVA;Virginia's DC suburbs;St. Louis Metropolitan area
Southern points where the south ends(ironically): Disneyworld(Orlando), Tampa-St. Petersburg area(and no point further north), Cape Canaveral.
Western points: Dallas-Ft.Worth metro, Tulsa metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or