U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM

1,866 posts, read 3,426,472 times

Advertisements

Parkersburg, WV and Clarksburg, WV don't really have a southern feel to them. Parkersburg has a more Midwest feel to it, and even the dialect of the locals reflects this. Clarksburg, WV has a larger Italian and German ancestory which puts it more in common with SW Pennsylvania and western MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Maryland isn't in the south.

It borders the south.

It has random southern elements.

Let it go.
Paradoxically enough, the poster will, if s/he is given attention, will win the argument. Let me explain a bit, and I am confident most veteran posters will agree with this general observation...

This poster show up periodically, and insists Maryland is a Southern state, and that anyone who disagrees "hates Maryland".

Break here: The point is not so much whether or not Maryland is or isn't Southern, or is in between or whatever. Far as that goes, there are many states of the Census South, even the Old Confederacy, that are the subject of discussion/debate when it comes to the subject. So far as the latter goes?
Florida especially, Texas, Virginia, even anymore, North Carolina and Arkansas. Some true "Deep South purists" will even exclude Louisiana, fer gawds sake.

No, what it some down to with this person, is that there is simply no reasoning with (whoever it is). All kinds of approaches have been attempted over the past couple of years to engage in intelligent exchange. Hell, I have tried them -- as have many others - in earnest (see past threads), and it never makes any difference. For instance, those of us from other states which, while traditionally Southern, might be up for the debate among some, today. Hell, my native state of Texas is one of them, fer gawds sake. Thus, I originally tried to appeal to that point of a certain empathy, but to still explain the reasons that there are certain cultural/historical reasons why [i] didn't really consider Maryland essentially a Southern state.

BUT... that that was just me personally. That I had been on the receiving end myself with some Deep South purists. So I knew where he was coming from.

*laughing in recollection* But it didn't amount to anything. Almost like one was talking to a parrot -- or a broken record -- that keeps repeating and sqawking and flapping their wings... "everybody hates Maryland, everybody hates Maryland...polly wanna cracker, polly wanna cracker...."

I finally gave up and, anymore, just ignore that poster. NOT in the sense of putting them on "official ignore" (because that might give the false impression that the parrot makes sense), but because it just isn't worth it. How does that old saying go? Something like...don't try and get a parrot to make sense to you when it talks. It just wastes your time and annoys the parrot...

For what it's worth to those who might be new and are having their first experience with M$ (or whatever)?

Just let it go! It aint gonna make any difference, anyway.

If nothing else, though, it will at least to let a little adult conversation to go on, and send the kids to bed....

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-12-2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM

872 posts, read 1,410,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I actually think the regions of the South match up very poorly with state boundaries. Most southern states are divided into several different regions. IMO, it goes something like this:

Atlantic South: the eastern portions (i.e. those near the Atlantic coast) of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. Characterized by an ocean culture and the importance of shipping. Think of places like Norfolk/Va Beach, Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville.

Piedmont: the middle portions of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. A lot of the 1-85 corridor. Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh. Probably the fastest growing part of the south.

Appalachia: The mountainous western parts of Virginia and north Carolina and eastern Tennessee. Maybe some of north Georgia. I don't consider West Virginia southern, but if you did it would be included in this region. It is less developed, more rugged.

Mid-South: Most of Tenn, Kentucky, Arkansas. Maybe the very northern part of Alabama.

Deep South: The "heart" of the south. This contains most of the states of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. This is what most people think of when they think of the south. Montgomery, Jackson, places like that.

Gulf South: the parts of the south near the Gulf coast: the Florida panhandle, Mobile, Gulfport, Southern Lousiana, and some of southeastern Texas. The Gulf of Mexico is the primary identifier of this region. There is much importance placed on fishing, oysters, the oil industry, and the beaches/tourism.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 AM

631 posts, read 1,069,829 times
One interesting dividing line- black population

There's generally a line in the south where the black population goes from minimal to significant. South of this line is the black belt, stretching from Louisiana to Virginia. The black population is huge there and I think that region deserves to be on its own, let's call it the true deep south. North of the line is appalachia, where there aren't many black people at all. The lack of slavery, share cropping and historical jim crow makes it its own region as well- upland south. The dividing line is the piedmont, which is a combination of deep and upper south. This is also the rapidly growing urban corridor stretching from Atlanta to Raleigh. It's becoming its ow cultural region as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,811,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
One interesting dividing line- black population

There's generally a line in the south where the black population goes from minimal to significant. South of this line is the black belt, stretching from Louisiana to Virginia. The black population is huge there and I think that region deserves to be on its own, let's call it the true deep south. North of the line is appalachia, where there aren't many black people at all. The lack of slavery, share cropping and historical jim crow makes it its own region as well- upland south. The dividing line is the piedmont, which is a combination of deep and upper south. This is also the rapidly growing urban corridor stretching from Atlanta to Raleigh. It's becoming its ow cultural region as well.
That line has morphed over generations, and, in actuality, today it stretches from around Delaware into East Texas. As I've explained to someone else before, this particular region simply does not coincide with the Deep South, since Delaware, Maryland, DC, and Virginia aren't now and have never been part of the DS. Furthermore, your own map illustrates that there were significant portions of the actual Deep South that weren't overwhelmingly black at all.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,770,799 times
That map would stretch deep into Florida nowdays.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
What's up, long time lurker first time poster. I awhile ago I saw a map that redrew the United States into states that actually make more sense. I tried finding the map online, unfortunately couldn't find the link. I got the image saved on my computer if y'all wanted to see the map I could post it on the forum. I think the map could satisfy everyone's definitions of the south though. Anyways here's how this guy broke down the south and it's regions.

1) Tidewater area: Most of Virginia (not counting the northern most parts or SW Virginia), Eastern Shore of Maryland,
Southern 1/2 of Delaware
2) Carolinas: NC and SC (not including Western NC or Upstate SC)
3) Georgia: Georgia (Not including GA north of the Atlanta Metro), North-Central Florida
4) Gulf Coast: Florida Panhandle, Southern half of Alabama, Southwestern Mississippi
5) Acadiana: Southern third of Louisiana (Not including the Florida Parishes)
6)Appalachia: Southern 1/2 of West Virginia, SW Virginia, Western NC, Upstate SC, Northernmost part of GA, Eastern 1/3 of Kentucky, Eastern 3rd of Tennessee
7) Upper South: Central 1/3 of Tennessee, Western 2/3rds of Kentucky, Southern 1/3 of Illinois, Southern 1/4 of Indiana
8) Mississippi River: Missouri Bootheel, Eastern Arkansas, Western 1/2 of Mississippi, Western 1/3 of Tennessee, Florida Parishes of Louisiana
9) Ozarks: Missouri south of the St Louis/KC Metro areas (not including the Bootheel) Northwestern half of Arkansas, Eastern 1/3 of Oklahoma
10) Piney Woods: Southern Arkansas, Northern 2/3 of Louisiana, Northeastern Texas
11) East Texas: Gulf Coast of Texas and a bit of the Interior, Ends outside of the Houston Metro Area
12) Central Texas: Austin, Dallas, Waco, Witchita Falls area of Texas
13) Forgot the name: Northern half of Alabama, Northeastern Mississippi

Haven't been to all of these areas, but I think that's a pretty good breakdown of the South!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,713,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I thought I'd use cities as markers:

General Deep South - Jasper (TX), Shreveport, Jackson, Montgomery, Albany (GA), Tallahassee, Florence (SC)

Gulf Coast South - Houston, Galveston, Beaumont, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Panama City, Tampa

Piedmont South - Birmingham, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond

Atlantic Coast South - St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News

Upper South - Nashville, Knoxville, Greenville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Lexington, Blacksburg, Roanoke

Mid South - Memphis, Oxford, Little Rock, El Dorado, Texarkana

Plains South - Waco, Corsicana, Dallas, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Tulsa

Western Highlands - Hot Springs, Fort Smith, Fayetteville (AR), Springfield (MO), Poteau

Texas - Austin, San Antonio, Midland-Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo

It's rather incomplete, and I admit that I struggled with some, but it's most geographical. Discussions about the cultural barriers are far too complicated, relative, and (especially) tiring.

Good work!

BTW, I'm impressed someone not from Oklahoma knows about Poteau (Oklahoma)!

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 05-02-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM

432 posts, read 751,148 times
[quote=TexasReb;27579645]I would grant El Paso and even, perhaps (with qualifications) Amarillo, but not Lubbock. I stand by what I said above as concerns West Texas relationship to the South. That is, it is the South moved into a more western environment. West Texas is pure Southern Baptist country, and no where is the "Mountain South" twang anywhere stronger. And definitely, next to the Mississippi Delta area, the most productive part of the original "Cotton Belt" South.

Actually, the Lubbock area is THE biggest cotton producing region in the WORLD, far outproducing the Mississippi Delta area. Northwestern Texas is has certainly been strongly influenced by southern culture, as most people who originally settled the area came from the South. However, unlike the South, the western "cowboy" culture also exists in a big way in that area. While Southern Baptist is the dominant religion, there never was the same degree of racism that has historically been prevalent in the true South. Also, because of the economic dominance of agriculture, the area also seems to have a lot in common with the Midwest farm regions. It's really an area where several cultures seem to meet and meld.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,796,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBordsen View Post
What's up, long time lurker first time poster. I awhile ago I saw a map that redrew the United States into states that actually make more sense. I tried finding the map online, unfortunately couldn't find the link. I got the image saved on my computer if y'all wanted to see the map I could post it on the forum. I think the map could satisfy everyone's definitions of the south though. Anyways here's how this guy broke down the south and it's regions.

1) Tidewater area: Most of Virginia (not counting the northern most parts or SW Virginia), Eastern Shore of Maryland,
Southern 1/2 of Delaware
2) Carolinas: NC and SC (not including Western NC or Upstate SC)
3) Georgia: Georgia (Not including GA north of the Atlanta Metro), North-Central Florida
4) Gulf Coast: Florida Panhandle, Southern half of Alabama, Southwestern Mississippi
5) Acadiana: Southern third of Louisiana (Not including the Florida Parishes)
6)Appalachia: Southern 1/2 of West Virginia, SW Virginia, Western NC, Upstate SC, Northernmost part of GA, Eastern 1/3 of Kentucky, Eastern 3rd of Tennessee
7) Upper South: Central 1/3 of Tennessee, Western 2/3rds of Kentucky, Southern 1/3 of Illinois, Southern 1/4 of Indiana
8) Mississippi River: Missouri Bootheel, Eastern Arkansas, Western 1/2 of Mississippi, Western 1/3 of Tennessee, Florida Parishes of Louisiana
9) Ozarks: Missouri south of the St Louis/KC Metro areas (not including the Bootheel) Northwestern half of Arkansas, Eastern 1/3 of Oklahoma
10) Piney Woods: Southern Arkansas, Northern 2/3 of Louisiana, Northeastern Texas
11) East Texas: Gulf Coast of Texas and a bit of the Interior, Ends outside of the Houston Metro Area
12) Central Texas: Austin, Dallas, Waco, Witchita Falls area of Texas
13) Forgot the name: Northern half of Alabama, Northeastern Mississippi

Haven't been to all of these areas, but I think that's a pretty good breakdown of the South!!!
Thats an interesting, albeit broad definition of the south. I agree with most of it with exception to a few things...
-The southern half of Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland (A slight drawl doesn't make a place Southern).
-Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana....To me they just don't feel southern. When I tell someone i'm going to southern Illinois or Indiana....I couldn't imagine ANYONE would say to themselves...He'll have fun in the South!
-The Bootheel is the only part of Missouri I've ever thought of as southern feeling but I'll admit I've not been all through the state. I have been up to Cape Girardeau and I didn't feel that it was overwhelmingly southern feeling and it's south of St Louis.

Everything else.....DIXIE, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or