Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBordsen View Post
What's up, long time lurker first time poster. I awhile ago I saw a map that redrew the United States into states that actually make more sense. I tried finding the map online, unfortunately couldn't find the link. I got the image saved on my computer if y'all wanted to see the map I could post it on the forum. I think the map could satisfy everyone's definitions of the south though. Anyways here's how this guy broke down the south and it's regions.

1) Tidewater area: Most of Virginia (not counting the northern most parts or SW Virginia), Eastern Shore of Maryland,
Southern 1/2 of Delaware
2) Carolinas: NC and SC (not including Western NC or Upstate SC)
3) Georgia: Georgia (Not including GA north of the Atlanta Metro), North-Central Florida
4) Gulf Coast: Florida Panhandle, Southern half of Alabama, Southwestern Mississippi
5) Acadiana: Southern third of Louisiana (Not including the Florida Parishes)
6)Appalachia: Southern 1/2 of West Virginia, SW Virginia, Western NC, Upstate SC, Northernmost part of GA, Eastern 1/3 of Kentucky, Eastern 3rd of Tennessee
7) Upper South: Central 1/3 of Tennessee, Western 2/3rds of Kentucky, Southern 1/3 of Illinois, Southern 1/4 of Indiana
8) Mississippi River: Missouri Bootheel, Eastern Arkansas, Western 1/2 of Mississippi, Western 1/3 of Tennessee, Florida Parishes of Louisiana
9) Ozarks: Missouri south of the St Louis/KC Metro areas (not including the Bootheel) Northwestern half of Arkansas, Eastern 1/3 of Oklahoma
10) Piney Woods: Southern Arkansas, Northern 2/3 of Louisiana, Northeastern Texas
11) East Texas: Gulf Coast of Texas and a bit of the Interior, Ends outside of the Houston Metro Area
12) Central Texas: Austin, Dallas, Waco, Witchita Falls area of Texas
13) Forgot the name: Northern half of Alabama, Northeastern Mississippi

Haven't been to all of these areas, but I think that's a pretty good breakdown of the South!!!
One omission that I see is the Piedmont...it stretches from south of DC, through NC, SC and Atlanta into western AL. It is a region that is culturally very different from the other parts of each state. Also, the coastal region of NC has much more in common with the Tidewater area of VA than with the rest of NC. Coastal SC and GA are also their own little world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Here is my current version of what I consider the regions of the South:

● Atlantic South/Coastal Plain: the eastern portions (i.e. those near the Atlantic coast) of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. The western boundary of this region is the fall line. Characterized by an ocean culture, the importance of shipping, and coastal plains. Think of places like Norfolk/Va Beach, Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville. Low elevation, lots of rivers, marshes, and swamps.
○ Tidewater: Coastal Virginia, and Maryland if you consider that southern
○ Low Country: coastal South Carolina
○ South Florida: Miami metro area

● Piedmont: the middle portions of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. A lot of the 1-85 corridor. Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh. Probably the fastest growing part of the south. This is the plateau region between the fall line to the east and the Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains to the west. The soil here is clay-like and moderately fertile. The Southern-most part of this overlaps with the "Deep South."

● Appalachia: The mountainous western parts of Virginia and North Carolina and the eastern part of Tennessee and the northern part of Georgia. I don't consider West Virginia to be southern, but if you did it would be included in this region. It is less developed, more rugged.

● Mid-South: Most of Tenn and Kentucky. Maybe the northern part of Alabama.

● Deep South: The "heart" of the south. This contains most of the states of Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Possibly eastern Louisiana and parts of South Carolina. Includes the Black Belt of dark, rich soil. This is what most people think of when they think of the south. Montgomery, Jackson, places like that. This overlaps the Piedmont in Georgia and South Carolina.

● Gulf South: the parts of the south near the Gulf coast: the Florida panhandle (Panama City, Destin, Fort Walton, Pensacola), Alabama (Mobile), Mississippi (Biloxi, Gulfport), Southern Louisiana (New Orleans), and some of southeastern Texas (Houston Galveston). The Gulf of Mexico is the primary identifier of this region. There is much importance placed on fishing, oysters, the oil industry, and the beaches/tourism.
○ Acadiana: French Louisiana

● South Central: The western half of Louisiana and Arkansas, the Eastern half of Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Austin). If you consider Oklahoma southern it falls into this category.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBordsen View Post
What's up, long time lurker first time poster. I awhile ago I saw a map that redrew the United States into states that actually make more sense. I tried finding the map online, unfortunately couldn't find the link. I got the image saved on my computer if y'all wanted to see the map I could post it on the forum. I think the map could satisfy everyone's definitions of the south though. Anyways here's how this guy broke down the south and it's regions.

1) Tidewater area: Most of Virginia (not counting the northern most parts or SW Virginia), Eastern Shore of Maryland,
Southern 1/2 of Delaware
2) Carolinas: NC and SC (not including Western NC or Upstate SC)
3) Georgia: Georgia (Not including GA north of the Atlanta Metro), North-Central Florida
4) Gulf Coast: Florida Panhandle, Southern half of Alabama, Southwestern Mississippi
5) Acadiana: Southern third of Louisiana (Not including the Florida Parishes)
6)Appalachia: Southern 1/2 of West Virginia, SW Virginia, Western NC, Upstate SC, Northernmost part of GA, Eastern 1/3 of Kentucky, Eastern 3rd of Tennessee
7) Upper South: Central 1/3 of Tennessee, Western 2/3rds of Kentucky, Southern 1/3 of Illinois, Southern 1/4 of Indiana
8) Mississippi River: Missouri Bootheel, Eastern Arkansas, Western 1/2 of Mississippi, Western 1/3 of Tennessee, Florida Parishes of Louisiana
9) Ozarks: Missouri south of the St Louis/KC Metro areas (not including the Bootheel) Northwestern half of Arkansas, Eastern 1/3 of Oklahoma
10) Piney Woods: Southern Arkansas, Northern 2/3 of Louisiana, Northeastern Texas
11) East Texas: Gulf Coast of Texas and a bit of the Interior, Ends outside of the Houston Metro Area
12) Central Texas: Austin, Dallas, Waco, Witchita Falls area of Texas
13) Forgot the name: Northern half of Alabama, Northeastern Mississippi

Haven't been to all of these areas, but I think that's a pretty good breakdown of the South!!!
I disagree about the Ozarks south of KC and STL. IT may have southern influences, but by no means is it actually the south. I would say the Ozarks in far southern Missouri would be a better description. THe Ozarks are by and large a transition zone between the Midwest and South.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Here is my current version of what I consider the regions of the South:

● Atlantic South/Coastal Plain: the eastern portions (i.e. those near the Atlantic coast) of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. The western boundary of this region is the fall line. Characterized by an ocean culture, the importance of shipping, and coastal plains. Think of places like Norfolk/Va Beach, Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville. Low elevation, lots of rivers, marshes, and swamps.
○ Tidewater: Coastal Virginia, and Maryland if you consider that southern
○ Low Country: coastal South Carolina
○ South Florida: Miami metro area

● Piedmont: the middle portions of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. A lot of the 1-85 corridor. Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh. Probably the fastest growing part of the south. This is the plateau region between the fall line to the east and the Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains to the west. The soil here is clay-like and moderately fertile. The Southern-most part of this overlaps with the "Deep South."

● Appalachia: The mountainous western parts of Virginia and North Carolina and the eastern part of Tennessee and the northern part of Georgia. I don't consider West Virginia to be southern, but if you did it would be included in this region. It is less developed, more rugged.

● Mid-South: Most of Tenn and Kentucky. Maybe the northern part of Alabama.

● Deep South: The "heart" of the south. This contains most of the states of Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Possibly eastern Louisiana and parts of South Carolina. Includes the Black Belt of dark, rich soil. This is what most people think of when they think of the south. Montgomery, Jackson, places like that. This overlaps the Piedmont in Georgia and South Carolina.

● Gulf South: the parts of the south near the Gulf coast: the Florida panhandle (Panama City, Destin, Fort Walton, Pensacola), Alabama (Mobile), Mississippi (Biloxi, Gulfport), Southern Louisiana (New Orleans), and some of southeastern Texas (Houston Galveston). The Gulf of Mexico is the primary identifier of this region. There is much importance placed on fishing, oysters, the oil industry, and the beaches/tourism.
○ Acadiana: French Louisiana

● South Central: The western half of Louisiana and Arkansas, the Eastern half of Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Austin). If you consider Oklahoma southern it falls into this category.
I don't see northern/central Florida anywhere...is it included in something else? I would put it in the Deep South.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't see northern/central Florida anywhere...is it included in something else? I would put it in the Deep South.
Yeah, I think there is a little portion of northern florida in the deep south. A lot of the eastern part of the state is Atlantic South and the Western part of the state and the panhandle are Gulf South.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Yeah, I think there is a little portion of northern florida in the deep south. A lot of the eastern part of the state is Atlantic South and the Western part of the state and the panhandle are Gulf South.
Yeah there is definitely a part of northern Florida that I would identify as the Deep South...from the GA border down through Gainesville to Ocala and over to Tallahassee in the west and Deland in the east - a lot of that area is typically Deep South.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
1. Not mostly Southern culturally, but with noticeable Southern influences:

- Most of Missouri, the southern half to third of Indiana, the top third of West Virginia, the Cincinnati suburbs in Kentucky, and the southernmost fringes of Illinois. (Midwestern with Southern influences)
- Most of Maryland, the upper half to two thirds of Delaware, and most of NoVA. (Northeastern with Southern influences)
- Near El Paso, and eastern New Mexico. (Southwestern with Southern influences)
- The southern half of Florida. (Has its own Floridian culture with Southern influences)

2. Upper South (varying degrees of Southern feel, for instance Arkansas feels more Southern than Virginia though still not on the same level with the Deep South):

- Most of Kentucky.
- The Eastern Shore of Maryland and the southern third to half of Delaware.
- Most of Virginia.
- Most of North Carolina.
- The southernmost 1/5 to 1/4 of Missouri.
- Most of Tennessee.
- Arkansas.
- Oklahoma.

3. The Deep South:

- The northern portions of Florida.
- Most of South Carolina.
- Alabama.
- Mississippi.
- Louisiana.
- Most of Texas.
- Georgia.

4. The Appalachian South (probably didn't include enough examples, as I'm not very familiar with this region):

- Far western Virginia.
- Far western North Carolina.
- The southern two thirds of West Virginia.
- Eastern Tennessee.
- Eastern Kentucky.
- Far northwestern South Carolina.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post

- Most of Missouri, the southern half to third of Indiana, the top third of West Virginia, the Cincinnati suburbs in Kentucky, and the southernmost fringes of Illinois. (Midwestern with Southern influences)
- Most of Maryland, the upper half to two thirds of Delaware, and most of NoVA. (Northeastern with Southern influences)
- The southern half of Florida. (Has its own Floridian culture with Southern influences)

2. Upper South (varying degrees of Southern feel, for instance Arkansas feels more Southern than Virginia though still not on the same level with the Deep South):

- Most of Kentucky.
- Most of Virginia.
- Most of Tennessee.
- Arkansas.
- Oklahoma.

3. The Deep South:

- Alabama.
- Mississippi.
- Louisiana.
- Most of Texas.
- Georgia.

4. The Appalachian South (probably didn't include enough examples, as I'm not very familiar with this region):

- Far western Virginia.
- Eastern Tennessee.
- Eastern Kentucky.
You must have missed some of the posts where people made valid points about portions of states being part of a subregion rather that being lumped together as simply Deep South. The Piedmont is a very distinct region that does not align well with Deep South culture, and it runs from VA through NC SC and GA to eastern AL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_(United_States) Appalachia also includes northern GA: North Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I would also separate northern and southern LA.

Other than that, I like your divisions.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post

- Most of Kentucky.
- Most of Virginia.
- Most of Tennessee.
- Arkansas.
- Oklahoma.

3. The Deep South:

- Alabama.
- Mississippi.
- Louisiana.
- Most of Texas.
- Georgia.

- Far western Virginia.
- Eastern Tennessee.
- Eastern Kentucky.
I would say more than just the southern fringes of Illinois. You could almost throw half the state into that category of Midwestern with Southern influences.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would say more than just the southern fringes of Illinois. You could almost throw half the state into that category of Midwestern with Southern influences.
What about the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis? In my opinion that area would seem solidly Mid-Western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.