U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Reputation: 8803

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Why do you have soo much Hate for Maryland???
So he hates Maryland because he corrected you? Am I going to have to call your mother again, Bobby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I am not from the Deep South and I am certain that you are not from Delaware....
I'm not from Delaware, but my parents live there and I've lived there from roughly 2002 to 2009. I consider it my home and for Thanksgiving, I'll be "going home" to Delaware. I usually say I'm from Delaware at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,794,792 times
Reputation: 1053
I just don't understand why this kid is so adament about defending the "southernness" of Maryland. The state has a few isolated southern traits......thats all. People in southern Illinois have a drawl, people in southern Indiana have a slight accent, people in Bakersfield, CA still have a southern drawl because of early immigration, people in central PA like sweet tea, and some folk out in Kansas play bluegrass. These are all southern(ish) traits...they do NOT make the area itself southern.

To reiterate: Maryland and Delaware may have a few southern traits...however these traits exist primarily because of their proximity to the South. Maryland, Delaware, and DC fit very well into the geographic idenitifier "Mid Atlantic" which is a blend of Northern and Southern cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 AM
 
933 posts, read 1,606,961 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I just don't understand why this kid is so adament about defending the "southernness" of Maryland. The state has a few isolated southern traits......thats all. People in southern Illinois have a drawl, people in southern Indiana have a slight accent, people in Bakersfield, CA still have a southern drawl because of early immigration, people in central PA like sweet tea, and some folk out in Kansas play bluegrass. These are all southern(ish) traits...they do NOT make the area itself southern.

To reiterate: Maryland and Delaware may have a few southern traits...however these traits exist primarily because of their proximity to the South. Maryland, Delaware, and DC fit very well into the geographic idenitifier "Mid Atlantic" which is a blend of Northern and Southern cultures.
Thank you. I'm not sure why $mk is losing his mind, but at least there are some sensible people in this thread.
Why would someone take it as an insult to say Maryland and Delaware aren't southern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,794,792 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Thank you. I'm not sure why $mk is losing his mind, but at least there are some sensible people in this thread.
Why would someone take it as an insult to say Maryland and Delaware aren't southern?
I don't know either. $mk seems to take some kind of offense to Maryland or Delaware being deemed anything but southern. My best guess is that he/she has some kind of weird fixation on the south and wants, ever so desperately, to be a resident of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,901,922 times
Reputation: 4238
Something like half of Delaware's population is in the Philly metro area.......don't see how anyone could consider that southern. Even in the southern end of Delaware, Rehoboth Beach and Bethany Beach feel much more similar to the Jersey Shore than to say, The Outer Banks or Hilton Head...not to mention most of the people who vacation there are from Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,094,116 times
Reputation: 609
"Mid Alantic" Which is a blend of Northern and Southern cultures. By YOUR definition wnewberry22 would'nt that make Virginia Mid Atlantic also??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,794,792 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
"Mid Alantic" Which is a blend of Northern and Southern cultures. By YOUR definition wnewberry22 would'nt that make Virginia Mid Atlantic also??
Increasingly so...yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is just about as good as any map of the "boundaries" of the South (north to south, east to west), that I have ever seen. It is based upon where "Southern American English" is spoken.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...EnglishMap.jpg
That's also a pretty good "sweet tea" drinking regional map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Also...Irregardless isn't a word.
No it's not. It's a restaurant: a Raleigh "institution" that is known for its sustainable and vegetarian fare (though meat lovers can find something on the menu as well).

Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top