U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Reputation: 4208

Advertisements

Miami is filled with Black Southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,446 posts, read 2,288,632 times
Reputation: 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
What in the hell is your deal, kid? You have the audacity to insult everyones intelligence for making statements that clearly is majority opinion. You have no evidence to support your pissy, child like assertions that Maryland is southern...you just make these statements randomly. I'm going to go ahead and give you a piece of advice.....No one takes you or your arguments seriously. You make contradictory statements riddled with argumentative fallacies to support your stupid assertion that Maryland is "dixie." It isn't.

Further....have you ever considered that maybe you are the one that is wrong...or at least ignorant of the truth in this regard? I'm to the point now that I just think you've never been to the South and Maryland is the most southern place (geographically) you've set foot. You at one point mentioned that you live in Canada...so I think my guess is probably accurate.

Regardless of how you want to spin this....you beloved Maryland is a beautiful state with a lot of great ammenties...but it isn't a Southern. It isn't southern historically, and it sure as hell isn't southern culturally.
I'm pretty sure that person is just trolling. There are several instances of him/her jumping in on "southern" threads and giving that point of view. Lots of posters have given well-reasoned arguments to the contrary and he/she just responds the same way every time.

In any event, he/she is not interested in a reasoned discussion, and their primary reason for posting seems to be to get a rise out of people, so I think they are just best ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami is filled with Black Southerners.
It's filled with White Southerners too. They just all moved out to West Dade or Broward County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's filled with White Southerners too. They just all moved out to West Dade or Broward County.
Not as many White Southerners as Black Southerners. Black Southerners by far outnumber White Southerners in the Tri-County area. All the White Southerners moved way further north to the Northern parts of Palm Beach County and into Port St.Lucie, Fort Pierce and Martin County and St.Lucie Counties in the Northern tip of South Florida. Those extreme Northern parts of South Florida are worlds apart from Broward and Dade. The "stereotypical" South Florida(Minorities, Haitians, Hispanics, etc) doesn't begin til you reach central Palm Beach County(Riviera Beach, Lake Park, Mangonia Park, West Palm Beach, Lake Worth). From Riviera Beach/Lake Park/West Palm/Lake Worth on South is the stereotypical South Florida. North of those towns you start seeing more White Southerners and Rednecks. But native Black Southerns aren't limited to one part of South Florida. They're ALL OVER South Florida. From Fort Pierce to Key West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,082 posts, read 2,898,733 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is just about as good as any map of the "boundaries" of the South (north to south, east to west), that I have ever seen. It is based upon where "Southern American English" is spoken.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...EnglishMap.jpg
That is generally the go to map for when this discussion comes up. I have found it to be the most accurate out of any national level map I've seen. It isn't perfect of course since all along that line there are local factors that swing an area one way or another, but that is about as good as you are going to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 776,486 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Regardless of how you want to spin this....you beloved Maryland is a beautiful state with a lot of great ammenties...but it isn't a Southern. It isn't southern historically, and it sure as hell isn't southern culturally.
I really think the problem arises because people like to categorize things into neat little boxes, and quite honestly Maryland sure as hell isn't northeastern culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM
 
640 posts, read 1,028,644 times
Reputation: 456
Southern divisions aren't always formed by state lines.

For example, there's the gulf coast, which is houston to tampa. Most people in this region generall travel horizontally across to differet destinations rather than vertically. For example, I've been to houston, gulf beaches, and mobile, more than I have Tennessee, or even Northern Louisiana (been up there once, on the way to Arkansas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,795,084 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I really think the problem arises because people like to categorize things into neat little boxes, and quite honestly Maryland sure as hell isn't northeastern culturally.
Mid Atlantic fits Maryland best...and it is increasigly becoming the better identifier for Virginia. Maryland has southern and northern elements but claming that Maryland, as a whole, is a southern state is completely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 776,486 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Mid Atlantic fits Maryland best...and it is increasigly becoming the better identifier for Virginia. Maryland has southern and northern elements but claming that Maryland, as a whole, is a southern state is completely ridiculous.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,806,000 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
What in the hell is your deal, kid? You have the audacity to insult everyones intelligence for making statements that clearly is majority opinion. You have no evidence to support your pissy, child like assertions that Maryland is southern...you just make these statements randomly. I'm going to go ahead and give you a piece of advice.....No one takes you or your arguments seriously. You make contradictory statements riddled with argumentative fallacies to support your stupid assertion that Maryland is "dixie." It isn't.

Further....have you ever considered that maybe you are the one that is wrong...or at least ignorant of the truth in this regard? I'm to the point now that I just think you've never been to the South and Maryland is the most southern place (geographically) you've set foot. You at one point mentioned that you live in Canada...so I think my guess is probably accurate.

Regardless of how you want to spin this....you beloved Maryland is a beautiful state with a lot of great ammenties...but it isn't a Southern. It isn't southern historically, and it sure as hell isn't southern culturally.
Yeah, really, uh ha, um hmm, sure, I declare, ya don't say

You choose to ignore what I have posted to back up the Facts, however despite your biased opinion against the state of Maryland being a Southern State; Maryland is a Southern State no matter anyones hateful views towards the State that birth the Nations Capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top