Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Erie, my hometown. Anytime I come over a hill and get a glimpse of the lake, the view never fails to catch my breath. This time of year, when the grapes and apples are being harvested, it is heaven to drive around the countryside on a sunny day. The aroma of the warm fruit is incredible.

Although Cleveland rocks (go Tribe)! And Milwaukee is pretty cool as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Toronto No doubt! God i love that city, actually, its my FAVORITE great lakes city, chicago being second, and Milwaukee being third

Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Toronto No doubt! God i love that city, actually, its my FAVORITE great lakes city, chicago being second, and Milwaukee being third
You have got it right.....in proper order. Me too

Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Grits are not for sale in grocery stores. Only Denny's and they seem to like theirs very runny and unsalted. This is a little confusing to me as we have many "Texan" themed restaurants and high priced "Cajun" restaurants.

Biscuits are just very rare here. I've only seen "tea biscuits" for sale at Tim Horton's. McDonald's of Canada only sells English muffin breakfast sandwiches, not biscuits while all the McDonalds in western NY, possibly all northern states sell both. You sometimes see rolls served with a meal, but never biscuits.

Hockey players shoot "pucks."

Are you talking about ketchup? We have that, but I'm a tomato fan, not a ketchup fan.

I know what red-eye gravy is in the south, and that's not it. I think I heard real red-eye gravy is a mix of black coffee, sausage drippings and flour.
They don't serve that here either.
I was in Woodstock , On. the other day ,. the T/A truck stop , they had all the saw mill gravy and biscuits you would want to eat.........no red eye tho. The only place in the north you can get red Eye is Cracker Barrel . Yes , its made from grease and coffee......tasty !

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I was in Woodstock , On. the other day ,. the T/A truck stop , they had all the saw mill gravy and biscuits you would want to eat.........no red eye tho.

The only place in the north you can get red Eye is Cracker Barrel . Yes , its made from grease and coffee......tasty !
Interesting... well that kind of food is scarce hear and often difficult to find. They don't advertise much as the food is generally unknown or unpopular. Maybe I'll check out that truckstop sometime. Do you know which side of the highway it's on?

One place that specialized in Southern BBQ in Toronto was excellent. When they first opened they had items like "St. Louis Mustard Slaw" "Memphis Dry Ribs" and "Carolina Pork Shoulder." It wasn't long before the place names were dropped as they said it confused many guests, say people asked "What's Carolina? What's Memphis?..." As well as name dropping, I think they might have dropped a few whole items off the list. Last time I tried going there they'd run out of business. Only lasted maybe 6 years.

It was the only place I know that made ribs as good or better than I do. (when I'm willing to spend all day cooking them)

Cracker Barrel is in the northern U.S., but not in Canada.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Yeah, I'll go with Cleveland too. Detroit is not a city on the lakes, and Toronto is in some strange foreign country. I don't know Milwaukee well enough to rank it above Cleveland at this point. I like Traverse City, Petoskey, Marquette, and Duluth. Port Huron and Owen Sound (also in a strange foreign country, same one as Toronto) suffer from the unhipness of Lake Huron. I'm not a fan of Buffalo or Kingston (note that this is also in Canader, eh) and Rochester isn't really on the lake per se. Meanwhile, Marquette > The Soo.

I'll admit to a secret interest in Thunder Bay, but I've only been there once.
Whaddya mean Rochester's not on the lake? Of course it is! Might be the smallest of the lakes, but it is still a Great one.

RE: Thunder Bay, great town. It's like Duluth, only more so.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting... well that kind of food is scarce hear and often difficult to find. They don't advertise much as the food is generally unknown or unpopular. Maybe I'll check out that truckstop sometime. Do you know which side of the highway it's on?

One place that specialized in Southern BBQ in Toronto was excellent. When they first opened they had items like "St. Louis Mustard Slaw" "Memphis Dry Ribs" and "Carolina Pork Shoulder." It wasn't long before the place names were dropped as they said it confused many guests, say people asked "What's Carolina? What's Memphis?..." As well as name dropping, I think they might have dropped a few whole items off the list. Last time I tried going there they'd run out of business. Only lasted maybe 6 years.

It was the only place I know that made ribs as good or better than I do. (when I'm willing to spend all day cooking them)

Cracker Barrel is in the northern U.S., but not in Canada.
I make killer biscuits ....about the size of a plate...... I smoke my ribs on " the Egg" a cast cement marvel. prefer beef ribs , but are hard to find. Texas and KC has great brisket. just slap it on wonder bread and a pickle....yummy.
baby backs ( pork ) take about 45 min , on the egg.
Nothing better on a sunday morning , grits ( w/ lots of butter ), biscuits, country ham ( Va style), and red eye gravy. washed down with strong black coffee made with french roast, and in my expresso maker. If thats not enough , I polish it all of w/ homemade sweet rolls.......... the t/s was on the right side going north-west........

Old 10-16-2007, 03:49 PM

638 posts, read 974,209 times
Excluding Chicago, I will pick Milwaukee, because it's right next to Chicago.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:14 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Of other Great Lake cities, my personal favorites were Marquette, MI, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Detroit(I also realize it's technically on a river + Lake St. Clair, but I don't care). Of those 4, my 2 favorites are easily Milwaukee and Marquette. I'd also give an honorable mention to Escanaba, MI, and to St. Ignace, MI(know the latter is more of a small town than a city, but I thought for its size, it was pretty nice).

I've kept wanting to forever make a trip to Duluth, MN, Erie, PA, Buffalo, NY, and even to Thunder Bay, ON. I realize it'll probably take me forever before I finally get around to doing a trip to Thunder Bay, but I hope I can at least get to Duluth within the next few years, if not any of the other 3 cities on my Great Lakes travel wish list(lol).

Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstermcnuggets View Post
Of other Great Lake cities, my personal favorites were Marquette, MI, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Detroit(I also realize it's technically on a river + Lake St. Clair, but I don't care). Of those 4, my 2 favorites are easily Milwaukee and Marquette. I'd also give an honorable mention to Escanaba, MI, and to St. Ignace, MI(know the latter is more of a small town than a city, but I thought for its size, it was pretty nice).

I've kept wanting to forever make a trip to Duluth, MN, Erie, PA, Buffalo, NY, and even to Thunder Bay, ON. I realize it'll probably take me forever before I finally get around to doing a trip to Thunder Bay, but I hope I can at least get to Duluth within the next few years, if not any of the other 3 cities on my Great Lakes travel wish list(lol).
You should try the " circle tour" , of the Big Lake. Its 1200 miles around , and very interesting........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.