Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times

Advertisements

My personal vote goes to Cleveland. Cleveland always struck me as being like a St. Louis-Chicago blend. It has St. Louis' size, but it's being located on a Great Lake gives a very Chicago-type feel to it. I don't really consider Detroit to be a Great Lakes City because it is more of a river city. Milwaukee would be my next vote behind Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Big city? Milwaukee? Small cities? TONS of em. Fish Creek, Evanston, Traverse City, Sister Bay, Mackinac Island, etc, etc.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:21 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Big City: Toronto, followed by Milwaukee.
Towns: not sure

Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
BUFFALO, NY!!!

It's has the closest American malls, stores that sell grits, and take-out restaurants serving biscuits for breakfast.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
BUFFALO, NY!!!

It's has the closest American malls, stores that sell grits, and take-out restaurants serving biscuits for breakfast.
What , no grits and biscuits in Canada land ?...........what are those things that the hockey players scoot around , Eh ?
I know you got red eye gravy, sep, it comes in a bottle..........

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 PM

I would have to say Toronto , hands down, for a big city. My favorite small city, would be Marquette , also , hands down !..favorite town, a little place I won't tell anyone about........

Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What , no grits and biscuits in Canada land ?...........what are those things that the hockey players scoot around , Eh ?
I know you got red eye gravy, sep, it comes in a bottle..........
Grits are not for sale in grocery stores. Only Denny's and they seem to like theirs very runny and unsalted. This is a little confusing to me as we have many "Texan" themed restaurants and high priced "Cajun" restaurants.

Biscuits are just very rare here. I've only seen "tea biscuits" for sale at Tim Horton's. McDonald's of Canada only sells English muffin breakfast sandwiches, not biscuits while all the McDonalds in western NY, possibly all northern states sell both. You sometimes see rolls served with a meal, but never biscuits.

Hockey players shoot "pucks."

Are you talking about ketchup? We have that, but I'm a tomato fan, not a ketchup fan.

I know what red-eye gravy is in the south, and that's not it. I think I heard real red-eye gravy is a mix of black coffee, sausage drippings and flour.
They don't serve that here either.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Yeah, I'll go with Cleveland too. Detroit is not a city on the lakes, and Toronto is in some strange foreign country. I don't know Milwaukee well enough to rank it above Cleveland at this point. I like Traverse City, Petoskey, Marquette, and Duluth. Port Huron and Owen Sound (also in a strange foreign country, same one as Toronto) suffer from the unhipness of Lake Huron. I'm not a fan of Buffalo or Kingston (note that this is also in Canader, eh) and Rochester isn't really on the lake per se. Meanwhile, Marquette > The Soo.

I'll admit to a secret interest in Thunder Bay, but I've only been there once.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Yeah, I'll go with Cleveland too. Detroit is not a city on the lakes, and Toronto is in some strange foreign country. I don't know Milwaukee well enough to rank it above Cleveland at this point. I like Traverse City, Petoskey, Marquette, and Duluth. Port Huron and Owen Sound (also in a strange foreign country, same one as Toronto) suffer from the unhipness of Lake Huron. I'm not a fan of Buffalo or Kingston (note that this is also in Canader, eh) and Rochester isn't really on the lake per se. Meanwhile, Marquette > The Soo.

I'll admit to a secret interest in Thunder Bay, but I've only been there once.
Aw , Marquette , thats where its at.........in my book these days.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Erie. Very pretty views of the lake from the hills inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.