Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I am sick of the east coast in general. It seems kind of the same mentality throughout. Of course, even to go out west and investigate new areas mean spending money on travel and such. I think I need to make an itinerary of some areas and get there in the summer.
Well keep in mind Indianapolis is a direct drive on I-70 and only about 9 hours away from the east coast *depending where you are on the east coast and in New Jersey*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,960 times
California would be the best choice...the least judgemental people in the country.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM

662 posts, read 1,259,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
California would be the best choice...the least judgemental people in the country.
Everything I read points to people and business fleeing CA and in big numbers!!

I'd vote for upstate NY someplace like Rochester.

For those of you who moved out of California -

Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
The cost of housing in California is a big knock against it (this is true of most of the west coast). Places like Denver or Minneapolis have a similar laid back mentality but people with moderate incomes can afford to buy houses in decent neighborhoods.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM

97 posts, read 202,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I am sick of the east coast in general. It seems kind of the same mentality throughout. Of course, even to go out west and investigate new areas mean spending money on travel and such. I think I need to make an itinerary of some areas and get there in the summer.
Yeah, but the investment pays for itself through LOWER cost of living.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,048 times
Why dislike religion?!

You should look into Pacific NW region...

Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM

45 posts, read 72,331 times
i've lived in New York since I was born and I'm only 19.. but i've been a few places in the past 10 years.. I'm sick of there being nothing to do, I'm sick of the depressing weather we get for most of the winter, but honestly the only great part of new york is the Adirondacks and up north A-bay and so on... if my family did not live in NY i'd never come back to this state again, New york city on the other hand is a fun place, at least theres stuff to do.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Why dislike religion?!

You should look into Pacific NW region...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
Yeah, but the investment pays for itself through LOWER cost of living.
But the COL in the West and the PNW is higher. The OP will not find much moderate housing or jobs in that part of the country.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 AM

27,199 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But the COL in the West and the PNW is higher. The OP will not find much moderate housing or jobs in that part of the country.
Exactly. Much of the Midwest/Plains States are enjoying low unemployment rates and a low cost of living. That's where I would look, especially if one is looking for a more friendly environment as well.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM

50 posts, read 39,369 times
I'll echo the sentiments of everybody who already said Minneapolis/St.Paul.

Highly educated, extremely literate, super clean, super green (in the summer anyway), tech savvy, super progressive. Along with Chicago, it's pretty much THE place to be in the Upper Midwest. Big downtown(s), decent and improving public transportation, an amazing airport, great shopping (MoA), plentiful museums, one of the best theater scenes in the entire country, and people so nice they'll apologize for you bumping into them.

Take it from a fellow Jerseyite, at least go for a visit in the Spring/Summer. You won't be disappointed. Except for the few days of the year the temperature dips low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.