U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,540,300 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to leave NJ for a few years now. My husband and I just keep saving up until the time and place are right. We have no children and very little family, so we are not tied up to one area. I've been to just about every state on the east coast and some others in the midwest such as MIlwaukee, Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana, but none of them seemed right. In a nutshell this is what we are looking for and areas we definitely want to avoid. It also costs so much just to travel around sometimes, but we are also trying to learn more about the west coast and southwestern areas.

Anything within the Boston, NYC, Philly, and Miami area is a big no go. Tired of it.

I am an early childhood teacher ( which I know is difficult right now) and husband does security, but also wants to get his CDL license and possibly enter the trucking field whether it be long haul or short. Also, he's a British expat and I'm of Mexican heritage, even though I was born and raised in NJ, have no accent, and I'm very pale with dark hair (most people think I"m Italian ) We've had some problems with him being discriminated again in the NYC/ NJ area

Weather isn't even a factor. I don't care if it's cold or hot as long as we can find some happiness and peace of mind.

INterests:
non religious
moderate income - looking for average home
enjoy eating out and all types of cuisine
some night life is okay but not a big factor
enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, jogging( hate anything related to skiing )
people that are more open minded and willing to join in yoga, meditation, new age interests, health activities, cooking
unique shops- love books pleasant downtown or shopping nearby, craft fairs, holiday bazaars, festivals
we enjoy museums, history, and historical landmarks,

Please make suggestions of places in the US that we may like. Would appreciate any opinions. I would love to visit some of them to and explore.

Last edited by Raven1976; 11-17-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 29 days ago)

8,747 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Maybe Tucson. Or, Prescott, Arizona. Savannah, Georgia, somewheres in Colorado. Colder cities like Minneapolis, Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM

56,756 posts, read 81,102,256 times
If you don't mind a smaller city and can find jobs, Ithaca NY would work. Visit Ithaca

Perhaps a place like Las Cruces NM could be an option: Untitled Page

Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,690,266 times
Your husband's been discriminated against in NJ although he's married to someone who looks Italian? I find that odd coming from an NJer.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,812,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
INterests:
non religious
enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, jogging( hate anything related to skiing )
people that are more open minded and willing to join in yoga, meditation, new age interests, health activities, cooking
unique shops- love books pleasant downtown or shopping nearby, craft fairs, holiday bazaars, festivals
we enjoy museums, history, and historical landmarks,
It seems that denver is the right choice for you.

Denver has a moderate income, Non religious, Plenty of diversity so many shops and cuisne, very athletic population, There are probably some historical areas in denver. Denver also has beautiful scenery so thats a plus

Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,540,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Your husband's been discriminated against in NJ although he's married to someone who looks Italian? I find that odd coming from an NJer.
It's true... once they hear his accent he usually doesn't get the job.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,690,266 times
Quote:
It's true... once they hear his accent he usually doesn't get the job.
That's very weird. Most people are intrigued by that accent.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM

933 posts, read 1,610,112 times
Usually when people get sick of North Jersey, they move to The Poconos, Lehigh Valley or Scranton Wilkes-Barre. People from South Jersey usually move to Lancaster or Berks. There's a reason for this. They are all comfortable and pretty safe.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Interests:
non religious
enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, jogging (hate anything related to skiing)
we enjoy museums, history, and historical landmarks
Check out the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC metro area. It nails every one of your criteria and is a safe, beautiful area. Despite being in "the South" it's very diverse ethnically and in terms of international feel due to the presence of both Duke University and the University of North Carolina, as well as world class hospitals and research facilities at both universities....plus the presence of the Research Triangle Park in Durham, which features large facilities for companies such as IBM and GlaxoSmithKline (and a couple of hundred others).

Durham, NC - Official Visitors and Newcomers Information
Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau
Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau

Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,222,014 times
North Carolina.

I'd look into the Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte metros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.