U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM

30 posts, read 37,824 times

Advertisements

North Dakota Oil field area has so many jobs they are paying over 20 dollars an hour just to work at any fast food restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM

21 posts, read 29,641 times
North Dakota's oil fields are frequently recommended on these forums. As a resident, I would recommend that advice be taken with a grain of salt. Most of my friends have moved on to Minneapolis, and my household is relocating to Denver in the summer.

The cost of living was low here. Past tense. Fast food restaurants in Williston are paying $20/hour, but you're going to feel that when you want a Big Mac. I live two hours away, and housing costs have more than tripled in my town in the past three years. You can find something under 1K/month, but you'll either have roommates or carpet that smells like urine. Compare your expected salary to the housing costs before you move, to ensure you aren't making a bad decision. Look for jobs in the oil industry or employment that comes with housing (my town is building an apartment complex/grocery store, and grocery employees get a substantial rent discount), and be aware that housing is scarce.

Again, I live two hours away from the rigs, but there are people living in the local Wal-Mart parking lot. It's January. -20F during the last cold snap, -50 windchill, and people are living in campers. A couple of my coworkers are living in their cars. One of them ripped the skirting off a mobile home and crawled underneath to get through a particularly cold night, and while these might sound like bums who've gotten themselves into poor situations, they're just ordinary guys who heard the job market was awesome up here. One of them came from South Dakota, hoping to support a wife and child back home. So far, he can't even support himself and he's putting in 60 hours/week.

Also, keep in mind that you're moving into rural communities that have seen a lot of rapid growth. Williston has more than doubled in a short amount of time. You'll encounter hostility from some of the locals, and a lot of upturned noses. Out of staters have a reputation for coming and going, so your neighbors may seem cold, even if they don't have a problem with "outsiders". The flip side to this is, a lot of the people moving out here are undesirable. Be aware that you will encounter large groups of men carrying on vulgar conversations when you take your girlfriend out to dinner. The political atmosphere leans conservative, even for a Republican state. There's a lot of racism, sexism and intolerance, from locals and out of staters alike, so that may be something to consider if you want to bring your family.

Not trying to be a deterrent, just providing information so (hopefully) less people come up here unprepared and end up homeless and miserable through the winter!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,762,010 times
^^ mentioning conservatives and republicans followed by various forms of bigotry... liberals are no better with any of that, don't worry. The liberal places I've lived tend to be just as intolerant, if not more so, than the others. It is a human nature problem, not a political one.
No doubt there are problems with North Dakota. If a person needs a job desperately, that seems like their best bet on a nationwide basis. Just be informed of what you're getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or