U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,345,135 times
Reputation: 3566

Advertisements

Any US city that has a good mix of primary mixed use between residential and commercial will have decent shopping after dark. IME, the following would work:

NYC
Chicago
SF
Philly
Boston

In terms of "after dark", I would assume that you don't mean at 10:30pm. I think most places in the listed cities would stay open till 8 or 9pm, but I'm not totally certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,341 posts, read 19,609,757 times
Reputation: 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hi Please name 5 cities where it is safe and common to walk and go for shopping after dark Thanks
Every city in the U.S. has areas that are safe to walk at night and are common for shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM
 
10,569 posts, read 13,149,753 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nobody knows. It has been decades since anybody has walked anywhere in an American city, even in the daytime.

OP, are you talking about in the downtown business area, in residential areas, in the suburbs, or in shopping malls/districts?

"After dark" can mean 5:00 pm in winter in some northern cities, which would include walking to your car after work.
wtf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,355,726 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
wtf?
lol in Seattle it does get dark around 5 oclock but stores stay open late target downtown tell 10 and major department stores tell 9. The streets stay pretty busy at all hours because a large residential and hotel population downtown. Seattle almost has 70,000 people living in the city core downtown and 14,000 hotel rooms. I think the more people the safer the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,795 posts, read 2,573,039 times
Reputation: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Huh????

You need to get out of Texas more often.
There's people that walk around cities here in Texas, Austin and San Antonio are active with people that walk day and night. But I also see what you are saying Kyle about venturing out and visiting other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,582 posts, read 4,296,561 times
Reputation: 1447
Seattle, Portland, Denver, NYC, Las Vegas (strip)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 1,813,592 times
Reputation: 972
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Columbus
Oklahoma City
Phoenix

Any large city that is spread out over a large area without major density of 5,000 or so in most areas i consider that it is fairly safe because the police are more cordinated and well funded and there is not a ton of places where one can hide and be certain that people will pass by.

Then again none of these cities have high walkability ratings outside of their urban core and few select neighborhoods. It would be hard to walk in these cities to shop from place to place unless you drove their in a car from your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,223 posts, read 3,001,536 times
Reputation: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hi Please name 5 cities where it is safe and common to walk and go for shopping after dark Thanks
Any of them, if you know how to handle yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,345,135 times
Reputation: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Columbus
Oklahoma City
Phoenix

Any large city that is spread out over a large area without major density of 5,000 or so in most areas i consider that it is fairly safe because the police are more cordinated and well funded and there is not a ton of places where one can hide and be certain that people will pass by.

Then again none of these cities have high walkability ratings outside of their urban core and few select neighborhoods. It would be hard to walk in these cities to shop from place to place unless you drove their in a car from your home.
It's been shown that more people on the streets leads to less crime, mainly because criminals don't want witnesses around (or people to try and help the victim). Higher density keeps people on the streets more consistently; eyes on the streets. Places with lower density are often safer at night if they're segregated from normal city environments like outdoor malls and suburban shopping strips (or occasional retail districts with a natural boundary). To your point, these places usually have coordinated security and police to keep people safe. However, I'm not sure this is what the OP is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
Reputation: 36094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For privacy reasons Google airbrushes out people on the street in "StreetView", therefore not exactly a telltale sign of pedestrian activity.
You can tell they're there, they just blur their face if it is a clear enough image to identify. These look like pretty telltale signs to me:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...123.97,,0,3.24

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...50.95,,0,13.61

Last edited by jtur88; 11-20-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top