U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,475,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
lol in Seattle it does get dark around 5 oclock but stores stay open late target downtown tell 10 and major department stores tell 9. The streets stay pretty busy at all hours because a large residential and hotel population downtown. Seattle almost has 70,000 people living in the city core downtown and 14,000 hotel rooms. I think the more people the safer the streets.
But in Summer it doesn't get dark until nearly 10pm here. I agree Seattle is pretty safe to walk around in at any time of day or night. Have never felt unsafe walking around at night here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Columbus
Oklahoma City
Phoenix

Any large city that is spread out over a large area without major density of 5,000 or so in most areas i consider that it is fairly safe because the police are more cordinated and well funded and there is not a ton of places where one can hide and be certain that people will pass by.

Then again none of these cities have high walkability ratings outside of their urban core and few select neighborhoods. It would be hard to walk in these cities to shop from place to place unless you drove their in a car from your home.
Those cities all have pretty substantial crime problems...

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM

630 posts, read 840,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
But in Summer it doesn't get dark until nearly 10pm here. I agree Seattle is pretty safe to walk around in at any time of day or night. Have never felt unsafe walking around at night here.
Don't kid yourself! I feel it lacks the nightlife in the core. People go to Ballard, Capitol Hills and others for a decent nightlife. Belltown has gotten weaker and gotten pretty shady recently. The same goes for Pioneer Sq., which isn't safe anymore. Downtown area really winds down even on a Sat. night with few people hanging out. They're on the way out by taking public transportation, and by 10PM, it's kind of quiet in downtown for the most part. Just definitely stay away from 2nd and 3rd st. at night and be careful during the day. There are too many panhandlers, drug dealers and mentally ills roaming the street as of last summer. Hopefully, more police presence and downtown ambassador put a curb to that for Dt. Seattle's sake.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,730,618 times
It depends where you are walking. I live in one of the safest cities in the country, but that doesn't mean there aren't bad things happening somewhere.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,741 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think the question would be easier to answer if I were asked to name 5 cities that are NOT safe to walk in at night. Frankly, I have walked in most cities at night including most of America's major cities.
I agree, and even parts of Oakland and Detroit are safe to walk at night, and people do it all the time.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Anywhere except for Minneapolis or Saint Paul, especially when people don't shovel their section of the sidewalk and i have to walk on the street....

Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM

7,734 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Many areas of Baltimore are safe to walk at night. I'm sure most people will not believe it, but *shoulder shrug*

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,920,980 times
Depends where you go in each city.

In NY you're safe walking around at night in Manhattan, but likely not smart to walk around in parts of Bronx.

In Chicago, you're safe walking around at night, just stay away from parts of the south side.

In Philadelphia, you're safe to walk around at night, just stay away from North Philadelphia.

In San Francisco, you're safe to walk around at night, just stay away from the Tenderloin...

You get the point. All cities have areas where it is safe and not so safe.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,475,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Don't kid yourself! I feel it lacks the nightlife in the core. People go to Ballard, Capitol Hills and others for a decent nightlife. Belltown has gotten weaker and gotten pretty shady recently. The same goes for Pioneer Sq., which isn't safe anymore. Downtown area really winds down even on a Sat. night with few people hanging out. They're on the way out by taking public transportation, and by 10PM, it's kind of quiet in downtown for the most part. Just definitely stay away from 2nd and 3rd st. at night and be careful during the day. There are too many panhandlers, drug dealers and mentally ills roaming the street as of last summer. Hopefully, more police presence and downtown ambassador put a curb to that for Dt. Seattle's sake.
I don't recall commenting on the nightlife. Just that I have never felt unsafe walking around Seattle. And that it doesn't get completely dark until nearly 10pm around the summer solstice (vs by 5pm around the winter solstice).

Even DT Seattle I don't feel too unsafe about, and the various different neighborhoods I've roamed around in both day and night over the years are just fine too.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Anywhere except for Minneapolis or Saint Paul, especially when people don't shovel their section of the sidewalk and i have to walk on the street....
Right! Or anywhere where it snows regularly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or