U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,740,969 times

Advertisements

After watching the local news and seeing them making a big deal about a contestant on some singing show "The Voice" who made the finals, actually sending a news lady out to los angeles just because a Minnesotan is on a t.v show.

I think this is pretty silly, it seems like some people from the mid-west states are very proud of their state and get very excited when their state gets mentioned in the media. all you have to do is look at what some of us wear, for example a Minnesotan wearing a Twins cap with a Gophers sweatshirt even though the Gophers arent playing today and its not even baseball season, lol

Example: http://groff.douggroff.com/index.htm...YAN-FAMILY.jpg

Its like damn, we get it your from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Whatever.... all you have to do is wear a baseball cap and some normal clothes on. I never see people on either coast like this.

Well had to get that off my chest, i hope im not the only one who notices these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM

21,369 posts, read 21,941,997 times
you know all them ICBMs that were stuck in those holes in the ground out in the Dakotas, Nebraska and what not that they told us to destroy? well, maybe we did and maybe we didn't...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM

302 posts, read 593,685 times
It's really not something specific to the midwest. I've heard Canadians mention getting excited whenever they hear about anything related to Canada mentioned in National American media. If you don't live in New York or LA, you don't hear the place you are from mentioned in the National media everyday. So for some people, when the city or State you are from IS mentioned, it can be exciting.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,812,840 times
Quote:
After watching the local news and seeing them making a big deal about a contestant on some singing show "The Voice" who made the finals, actually sending a news lady out to los angeles just because a Minnesotan is on a t.v show.

I think this is pretty silly, it seems like some people from the mid-west states are very proud of their state and get very excited when their state gets mentioned in the media. all you have to do is look at what some of us wear, for example a Minnesotan wearing a Twins cap with a Gophers sweatshirt even though the Gophers arent playing today and its not even baseball season, lol

Example: http://groff.douggroff.com/index.htm...YAN-FAMILY.jpg

Its like damn, we get it your from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Whatever.... all you have to do is wear a baseball cap and some normal clothes on. I never see people on either coast like this.

Well had to get that off my chest, i hope im not the only one who notices these things.
Missouri couldnt give more of a da** about what people thought. Missouri (the government) apperently doesnt want jobs for the state and wants everyone to avoid the state or at least not think about it. Yea they want missouri to remain one of those states that have no direct negitive steryotypes but are never talked about and ignored.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
That's funny, I never hear the news media mentioning any place except New York and Los Angeles. If it didn't happen there, it didn't happen. Its big national news if it snows in New York City, but the rest of the Midwest is buried under snow all winter without the big network news stations noticing it. Silly New Yorkers.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,771,491 times
Yeah, People on both coasts are always the epitome of style, class and good breeding.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM

6,869 posts, read 7,820,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think this is pretty silly, it seems like some people from the mid-west states are very proud of their state and get very excited when their state gets mentioned in the media.
I think this sentiment applies to most people everywhere. The difference is that people from either coast constantly see themselves and their area reflected in the media, as this is where the media is headquartered. It seems human nature for folks in the vast middle of the country to get excited on the rare occasions the media allows a brief ray of sunshine to fall their way. I see it as harmless and actually healthy to have a little pride in your home. It's certainly not worth a negative judgement.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,438,641 times
I guess it makes them feel they live somewhere special if it's mentioned in mass-media, particularly if they've never lived anywhere else. Those who actually live in NY, California, etc know it's more important what you do where you are, than your city/zip code of residence. And when we relocate to the "flyover" states, we don't constantly boast about being from somewhere "notable", unless we have nothing else to show for it.
It's not much different than those on CD who constantly boast about where they're from, who somehow feel validated by a geographic location.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM

4,822 posts, read 5,384,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
just because a Minnesotan is on a t.v show.

I think this is pretty silly, it seems like some people from the mid-west states are very proud of their state and get very excited when their state gets mentioned in the media.
I know what you mean but, people from states outside the midwest do the same thing.
Right now, Floridians are all beside themselves over the news coverage regarding the Tampa scandal.
I have a friend from Texas who gets all giddy when Texas shows up on the national news/tv for whatever reason.
When I was still in Wisconsin, I thought it was a midwest thing.. but it really isn't.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,325,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Yeah, People on both coasts are always the epitome of style, class and good breeding.

Wow, they actually breed on the coasts? Here I thought everyone out there were midwest transplants that passed "High Dollar Snob" 301 Class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or