U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 AM

392 posts, read 801,685 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know if any of you live near or pass by daily a shanty town/tent city in your community? Do you know someone affected by the economic situation that has left him or her relegated to living in a shanty town/tent city?

I recently read an article about homelessness and "tent cities" in the US, and did some research about the topic. Seems that shanty towns/tent cities have increased in several cities, and are reminiscent of the Hoovervilles present in the 1930's. This was surprising and saddening. I understand that today's modern tent cities are quite different from the shanty towns of yore, as well as shanty towns abroad in poorer countries; however, the fact remains that they are no places to live and the homeless/"new poor" want to leave them.

General article about "tent cities" I encountered: Homeless in Tent City, USA

Today news clip about a shanty town: Shanty Town Sacramento California - YouTube

Today follow-up clip about awareness of shanty town: Sacramento gets its own shantytown - DailyFinance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,069 times
These tent cities have formed in a lot of places. But cities have generally rushed to tear them down, as Sacramento did. LA had a famous, city-sanctioned tent city on the eastern edge of Downtown LA, but it was set up as a time limited site. What I see a lot more of, at least in California cities like Oakland, San Francisco and San Diego, are small clumps of people living in out of the way, undesirable locations like under freeway overpasses. They're not passes people would choose to live.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,220,813 times
Columbia, SC has had a homeless camp / tent city by the edge of the river (near the zoo) for years. Wouldn't call it a true tent city as it isn't large enough, but it is definitely a long term camp for the homeless.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
We have one in Seattle, it's named after the previous Mayor. They had a problem last week with 1-2' of water flooding it after a heavy rainstorm.

Welcome to Nickelsville

Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Portland's Dignity Village homeless camp set to get another year, at least, on city land | OregonLive.com

On November 14 permission was extend to anther three years.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
These tent cities have formed in a lot of places. But cities have generally rushed to tear them down, as Sacramento did. LA had a famous, city-sanctioned tent city on the eastern edge of Downtown LA, but it was set up as a time limited site. What I see a lot more of, at least in California cities like Oakland, San Francisco and San Diego, are small clumps of people living in out of the way, undesirable locations like under freeway overpasses. They're not passes people would choose to live.
Used to(or still does) happen in Miami. This was highlighted at the beginning of Scarface when the refugee camp in Miami that Tony and Manollo were in, was under an Miami overpass. With gates, tents, and all the fixings.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
Default shanty towns

I have noticed former Tourist RV and Tent campgrounds are filling with long term RV camper trailers. These places are a form of zoning free long term house trailer villages except the trailers are actually movable. This area simply does not have any place for lower wage working people. Does anywhere in our country have places for nearly impoverished workers? Did it ever?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM

392 posts, read 801,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have noticed former Tourist RV and Tent campgrounds are filling with long term RV camper trailers. These places are a form of zoning free long term house trailer villages except the trailers are actually movable. This area simply does not have any place for lower wage working people. Does anywhere in our country have places for nearly impoverished workers? Did it ever?
I'm no expert, but I always felt near train tracks on empty urban lots, or on the outskirts of towns near tracks. Maybe abandoned/vacant slums, much like squatters would be an equivalent? Unlike favelas and the such, I can't think of similar neighborhoods that you refer to.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM

711 posts, read 1,287,915 times
Belle Glade, FLA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.