U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,040,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The conservative suburbs are very flat and the humidity is crazy in the summer.
True, but that can be said for most of the eastern half of the country.

With that in mind, I think he would like Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Idaho, Wyoming and Utah. Add Montana too. Billings is a growing city that may fit what you want. Boise, Provo/Orem, Casper and Cheyenne, among others may work.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Somewhere around Columbia or Jefferson City, Missouri. Pretty much meets all your criteria.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,483,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneDoe View Post
Just a fair warning, this thread can come off pretty bold but in all reality I know what I want and want to have like minded people around me. Precursor - I have nothing hard against the people I am bringing up in this post, I just know what I prefer and what Im more comfortable around. Im looking to move out of Sacramento / San Fran CA area. There is a pretty big list of likes and dislikes so I will just list them and see what jumps into peoples mind as a possible location to move. The one thing that is really important is I want the area / state to be a Conservative state for the most part.

This list is not in any particular order

Noticeable Seasons (Snow in the winter is not required but would be nice)
Stable economy
Modern / well layed out area
A moderate sized city within 10-20 miles
Warm Summers
Low Humidity
Good house market for buyers
Water nearby
Clean air
Outdoor activities
Non Denominational Christian Community

Dislikes:
Flat
Constant rain
Big cities
Smog / Polution
Dirty / Run down areas
High Hispanic / Black population
*Hardcore Red Necks / Hicks
Extreme cultures
Payed Parking
Heavy Trafic

*Im not saying this to put anyone down, you could call me a Bible Thumper and I am ok with that. Im saying this just to get my point across rather than be exactly PC about it.

So what comes to mind ladies and gents?
Iím afraid of the answer, but Iíll ask anyway: why did you feel the need to justify your aversion to hardcore rednecks and hicks, people so identified because of their ugly behavior and attitudes, and not the other group?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,215,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^SC has a high black population, one of the highest in the US
Greenville COUNTY doesn't have a very high black population

Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,042,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Iím afraid of the answer, but Iíll ask anyway: why did you feel the need to justify your aversion to hardcore rednecks and hicks, people so identified because of their ugly behavior and attitudes, and not the other group?
There are a lot of conservative, religious people who aren't redneck or hick. People commonly think the two go together but they really do not. In fact, your most hardcore, NASCAR watching, beer drinking rednecks usually aren't all that religious.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,567,767 times
You might like Colorado Springs.

I must say, I don't see how you reconcile a Bible-based, non-denominational (presumably evangelical?) faith with your distaste of living around folks who are black and brown. Doesn't come off as particularly Christlike.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 35,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I’m afraid of the answer, but I’ll ask anyway: why did you feel the need to justify your aversion to hardcore rednecks and hicks, people so identified because of their ugly behavior and attitudes, and not the other group?
I tried to play it nice in the original post while maintaining a bold presence to get my point across while not crossing any lines.

I feel that the term redneck and hick is a stereotype and I wanted to use it to describe a group of people in a easy to understand way to get my point across. I "justified" or drew attention to it to express that I am not trying to put that stereotypical group down but rather just wanted to get my point across.

I didn't say anything similar about the Hispanic or Black groups because they are not stereotypes and simply just a race. I live in a very high Hispanic area, I go to Lowes and almost every store on the block and anything that is able to be read from more than 10ft away is in Spanish. The area caters to illegal and under educated Hispanics because they are the majority here. I cannot even communicate with 1/2 of my neighborhood and this is something that I really want to stay away from.

My best friend in High School was a Hispanic born in America, I love the culture and food as long as I can understand it and get away from it. I don't want to live in it and be forced into it. I like to vacation to areas rich in culture that is not native to my normal surroundings that is the norm in most of America.

As for the regard to African Americans I just don't know of many places that have a High Black population that strive in the areas that I look to strive in. Nothing against them in the right surroundings but waking the streets of Oakland was not something that I enjoyed.

Anyway yeah was not trying to offend anyone or get into any debates about anything, just laying out where I would like to find a place to move to and my wish list.

Thanks for those that gave me ideas, I will research them and see what fits the bill. I really appreciate it. I was looking at like Plano Texas and outside of a few things I really was interested in the area. I don't know how much of a deal ~12% humidity above the Sacramento area would be in the heat though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
You might like Colorado Springs.

I must say, I don't see how you reconcile a Bible-based, non-denominational (presumably evangelical?) faith with your distaste of living around folks who are black and brown. Doesn't come off as particularly Christlike.
I prefer blondes over brunettes, is that not Christlike? Haha Just kidding

Last edited by ShaneDoe; 11-23-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM

96 posts, read 193,174 times
I lived in Indiana most of my life. No to Evansville. You wouldn't be happy there. You aren't racist, I totally get what you are asking and the reasons why. I've lived all over the US. I would say that Franklin, Tennessee might be a really good choice for you. Lived there four years. You should check it out :-)

Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Utah, except for the non-denominational thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or