U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,181,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
I would say that Franklin, Tennessee might be a really good choice for you. Lived there four years. You should check it out :-)
I was going to suggest Franklin or Brentwood, but it's pretty darn humid in the summer (that's one of the main reasons I left, after all). Aside from that, it matches the OPs list pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 11:43 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I was going to suggest Franklin or Brentwood, but it's pretty darn humid in the summer (that's one of the main reasons I left, after all). Aside from that, it matches the OPs list pretty well.
Isn't Eastern Washington pretty conservative?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,747 times
Idaho and Montana seem to fit the bill. Good job growth, outdoorsy, and not too many of those undesirable minority types.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think it's fairly conservative, but also rather libertarian. It might fit the OP's requirements decently.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM

96 posts, read 193,174 times
I agree it can get humid but hey, we all had air conditioning and it didn't last that long. I think Franklin is as close to perfect as he will get at this point unless he wants to check out a few of the Knoxville suburbs or Asheville, NC suburbs. I'm not as familiar with them or the crime rate and demographics there, though. I do know there is a bit less humidity and more snow and actual mountains instead of the large rolling hills that Nashville offers.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM

83 posts, read 106,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Minneapolis or St. Paul possibly.
Have you ever been to the twin cities? The core cities, in particular, are very liberal and too diverse for someone who says they don't care to be around minorities. As for weather, summers are very humid. How anyone could think MSP is a good match - or even possibly a good match for the OP is beyond me.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
I agree it can get humid but hey, we all had air conditioning and it didn't last that long. I think Franklin is as close to perfect as he will get at this point unless he wants to check out a few of the Knoxville suburbs or Asheville, NC suburbs. I'm not as familiar with them or the crime rate and demographics there, though. I do know there is a bit less humidity and more snow and actual mountains instead of the large rolling hills that Nashville offers.
That depends on your tolerance level, I guess. For me it was 5+ months of Hades.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,229,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think it's fairly conservative, but also rather libertarian. It might fit the OP's requirements decently.
It is Conservative-Libertarian and actually does fit what the OP is looking for. Spokane is the "big" city on that side and does have some run-down area. Overall it is a nice area and nicely laid out and doesn't feel "big city".

The OP mentions he wants a "stable economy" which actually doesn't always translates to "have many job opportunities". On that side, its actually the Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland) that does more job opportunities (due to the Hanford power plant). The Tri-Cities is less likely to have that change of season the OP is looking for (it is an arid climate).

Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Somewhere around Columbia or Jefferson City, Missouri. Pretty much meets all your criteria.
Columbia is liberal by Missouri standards but not really by coastal standards.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It is Conservative-Libertarian and actually does fit what the OP is looking for. Spokane is the "big" city on that side and does have some run-down area. Overall it is a nice area and nicely laid out and doesn't feel "big city".

The OP mentions he wants a "stable economy" which actually doesn't always translates to "have many job opportunities". On that side, its actually the Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland) that does more job opportunities (due to the Hanford power plant). The Tri-Cities is less likely to have that change of season the OP is looking for (it is an arid climate).
I thought the Tri-Cities has a substantial amount of poverty and lower educational attainment? That is what the Census Bureau states unless the ground truth is that much different.
Edit: That must be for the agricultural areas just outside of the Tri-Cities itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or