Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 48,173 times

Advertisements

Yuppies are on their way to ruining Seattle. Also, I'm also starting to think Austin... that's why I support "keeping Austin weird!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice21 View Post
Yuppies are on their way to ruining Seattle. Also, I'm also starting to think Austin... that's why I support "keeping Austin weird!"
I was surprised that Austin hasn't been mentioned more....not because I think it necessarily fits what we're talking about, but I hear LOTS of bellyaching from people about the woes of yuppies and gentrification 'round here. I haven't really noticed it too much.

Honestly, driving around in a Subaru outback wearing North Face gear with a torpedo box on top and a golden retriever in the back sounds swell to me! And we are most certainly not upper-middle anything - middle-class to the bone, baby!!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

27 posts, read 48,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
I was surprised that Austin hasn't been mentioned more....not because I think it necessarily fits what we're talking about, but I hear LOTS of bellyaching from people about the woes of yuppies and gentrification 'round here. I haven't really noticed it too much.

Honestly, driving around in a Subaru outback wearing North Face gear with a torpedo box on top and a golden retriever in the back sounds swell to me! And we are most certainly not upper-middle anything - middle-class to the bone, baby!!
Stereotypical.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
That would be called the free market. If I were the landlord I would have taken the money too.
I agree, this is just another thread about hating people who have money.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Honestly, driving around in a Subaru outback wearing North Face gear with a torpedo box on top and a golden retriever in the back sounds swell to me!
Depending on how old and beat up a Subaru is, that setup can range from rich urban yuppie to trustafarian hippie kid to broke-as-hell ski/climbing bum. It's such a diverse stereotype.

Ah, I miss my Subaru-- that thing handled great in the snow...

Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Bozeman, Montana.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM

17 posts, read 25,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Are there any cities who's overall character/vibe/personality, or nightlife atmosphere, etc. have been ruined by an influx of too many yuppies/snobby hipster types?
Confusing question, since yuppies and hipsters are completely different.

Yuppies are typically 50-60 somethings, associated with the suburbs. They may have been hippies a very long time ago, but no more.

Hipsters are typically younger people who obsess over ephemeral fashion trends and indie bands that no one will remember in 10 years.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
If given the choice, I'd rather be around yuppies bringing up property values than thugs bringing them down. Take a look at South Boston. It's nothing like the way it is portrayed in movies. The old housing projects have been converted to luxury condos, and the abandoned industrial buildings have been converted to luxury lofts. There is hardly a working class Irish-American presence there anymore. They have either died or moved out to the burbs.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,800 times
I'd personally say they haven't necessarily "ruined" a place like Baltimore but they really don't know their place and don't seem to respect the communities, their culture, or the history. The only way they "ruin" Philadelphia in my opinion is the way they try to speak for everybody, the way they write for local publications as the majority, the way they act entitled to neighborhoods and like they're more entitled than the groups who made it a community in the first place, the way they make us look bad when it comes to our fan-base in sports, and lastly the way they feel entitled to plan the entire city and to affect any section they want to. Of course, don't even get me started on that Occupy crap.

I don't think they could ever really ruin New York. It's too big and far too populated for that to happen in my opinion. Same with Chicago. Cleveland and Detroit I could definitely see happening.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Not sure I understand this. As a Yuppie and a DINK myself, I think Yuppies/DINKs only help a city.

What is a DINK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.