U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:11 PM

23 posts, read 20,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I'm a yuppie. Sorry for ruining everyone's lives.

Should I commit suicide now?

Yes please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:21 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
The dollar changes (ruins?) most places. Somebody sees a way to "attract young people" and make a buck. It's not just yuppies and some of it is an actual improvement. Would you prefer derelict warehouses or lofts?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:22 PM

294 posts, read 158,873 times
San Francisco

Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
What really ruined cities is urban renewal, the Highway Act, racial/civil unrest and the subsequent riots, the subsidization/rise of the suburbs (i.e. G.I. Bill, Levittown), job loss, the crack epidemic, gang violence etc.

I understand that demand from yuppies causes rent to rise across the board, they can quickly change the character of a neighborhood and contribute to overcrowding and other undesirable effects for longtime residents. However, they also drive a ton public and private investment which in turn can be used to benefit their respective city/metro as a whole.

Last edited by Buckeye614; 08-16-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 09:10 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
So much irony in this. I saw it time and time again in Portland, OR. Back in the day, people came to visit. They would marvel at the uniqueness and how different it was from their city. They wanted to be a part of that so they relocated there. But once they settled into their new home the wailing began.

"Why isn't there this? "Where is the that?"

In other words, they suddenly realized those things for which they moved to Portland were not enough to make up for the things they had in their former hometowns. So they began to import those things. Little by little these thngs began to change the landscape of their new city. The old couldn't compete with the new. After awhile, and without even realizing it, those unique features for which they had moved had faded away replaced by the familiar ones newly brought over.

Then even newer transplants arrived and were impressed not by by what Portland was but by what it had become never having a clue as to what the city was originally.

I use Portland as an example because that's where I lived for four decades. But substitute the name of any city that has gone through this type of transformation and the story is the same.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:05 PM

429 posts, read 316,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I see Seattle mentioned profusely on this thread as the number one placed 'yuppies' ruined. Now, this might be due to my age - being in my mid 20's, but for me Seattle has always been the apex of yuppy cities. The city can feel a bit soul-less, grim and waspy AF. It is also very intellectual due to its highly educated populace. So I'm wondering how long ago Seattle as actually 'ruined'?

Now, for me, the problem isn't necessarily the change going on in our inner cities, nor whom is doing it. My major concern is the lack of affordable housing for working class folks that work in these cities, and the ever growing homeless epidemic.

The Grim Math of the Working-Class Housing Crisis - CityLab
Employed but still homeless, working poor say 'Homelessness can happen to anybody' - Rock Center with Brian Williams

The questions we should be asking aren't how do we stop gentrification (a defensive stance), but how we create dynamic communities/neighborhoods/cities for people in all walks of life to live and work with dignity (this a pro-active/offensive stance)? First stance promotes class warfare, where the second one promotes building bridges and creating dialogue.

Lets be honest, there are entitled people on both camps, but it is in the gray areas in between that we can make some progress so that our cities don't ALL become soul-less coporatized urban Disneylands.
Seattle all the way through the early 1980s was the antithesis of a yuppie city. Its economy was driven by blue-collar Boeing workers and the even more blue-collar maritime workers. Downtown was lined with taverns and it was generally a gritty, relatively inexpensive place to live. The reason such a strong art and music scene developed there (which exploded onto the world scene with the likes of Jimi Hendrix in the late 60s and the early 90s grunge movement) is because it was a cheap, gritty place that had a unique character and vibe.

Fast-forward to now and it has become an extremely yuppie place that has lost much of its character and soul and become a lot more sterile (to a greater degree than a lot of other places), although you can still find some of the grit in certain neighborhoods if you know where to look. And even in the shiny new parts, the city has a massive homeless/drug dealer problem that is more prevalent than in many other cities.

Overall, I wouldn't call Seattle the "Apex" of a yuppie city. It's up there, but that title would probably go to San Francisco or somewhere in Los Angeles County or Orange County. I grew up in CA and while I still love it, there is no doubt in my mind that it holds the title for most yuppie cities.

In Seattle, you also don't have to go very far to get away from the yuppies. Everett 30 minutes to the north and Tacoma 30 minutes to the south are anything but yuppie and have more of a tweaker/good-ol' boy vibe (unlike the Bay Area, for example, where yuppies reign supreme throughout).

Old 08-19-2017, 04:19 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,182,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjnyc View Post
Yuppies and Bloomberg killed my NYC. Bring back the dirt and low rent and sense of mystery. Yuppies/hipster morons are ruining Brooklyn, once a city of its own, at an alarming speed.
Yuppies lower NYC crimee rate and improve city economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.