Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,023 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to move soon and are brainstorming ideas.

What we are ideally looking for:
Good place to have kids (we are in early 30s)
Good resturants
Parks and/or hiking (love the mountains)
Historical homes/ areas, love little bungalows and older homes w character vs newer
Ideally in the southeast but open to other areas if nothing meets our criteria there
Love farmers markets and a focus on green living
Happy people

Please help us come up with places to call home! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 03:16 PM

93,345 posts, read 123,972,828 times
If you wouldn't mind the Northeast, Saratoga Springs NY would be a good fit. Perhaps other NY communities like Ithaca, Glens Falls, New Paltz and Plattsburgh.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Is it necessary to include job availabilty on your list?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Boston...oh wait, you said happy people...nevermind.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiledoc123 View Post
My husband and I are going to move soon and are brainstorming ideas.

What we are ideally looking for:
Good place to have kids (we are in early 30s)
Good resturants
Parks and/or hiking (love the mountains)
Historical homes/ areas, love little bungalows and older homes w character vs newer
Ideally in the southeast but open to other areas if nothing meets our criteria there
Love farmers markets and a focus on green living
Happy people

Please help us come up with places to call home! Thank you!!
The obvious choices would be either Asheville, NC. or Charlottesville, VA. Each hits all of your criteria quite well. Personally I would give an edge to Charlottesville as it's larger and less remote than Asheville. If you can part with easier access to the mountains (2 hour drive), Chapel Hill/Carrboro, NC would be another top choice.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Perhaps Morgantown, Shepardstown or Lewisburg WV, Harrisonburg or Blacksburg VA, Johnson City TN, Boone NC, Rome GA and Clemson SC could work too.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,023 times
Thanks everyone! My husband is an architect and I work in healthcare. Job availability is definitely a factor but first we want to decide a nice place that we will enjoy and then go from there to try and make it work.

I don't really like super cold weather but enjoy having seasons, so I am hesitant on the northeastern options, although they do look really pretty!

Charlottesville is a great place- we have visited but can't go there for other, unrelated reasons, but places similar to it would be great.

we are thinking of checking out pittsburgh, but I am worried about the weather.
also, portland or- also worried about weather
then richmond va, nashville, chattanooga, knoxville, raleigh-durham and charleston.
any thoughts on those places or other ideas welcome!

thanks again!!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Portland does have the parks, the mountains, the restaurants, the farmers markets and green living, but it's green because of all the rain. It rarely snows or goes below freezing, so that might work OK for you. Some of the southeastern places you mention get really hot and humid in summer, and that's one thing in Portland's favor - summers are dry; no muggy, stifling heat.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Knoxville and Chattanooga are going green. Roanoke should be on your list. I have no knowlege of it's green element but it has a vibrant little downtown and is right up against the mountains.

I don't have to tell you that Richmond and Charleston aren't near mountains.

Nashville has a thriving economy but it's more hills than mountains.

Sounds like a road trip is in order, but most likely you will relocate where the architect finds a job. Those are few and far between these days.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Perhaps Louisville KY or Greenville SC too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.