Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

As I said before, it's a multiracial yet monocultural society that would be the best fit for someone to live in and raise a family. But in the US, the tendency seems to be that cultures (urban, suburban, religious, liberal, yuppie, blue collar, etc.) are racially exclusive of certain groups (or all but one group). Usually with "multicultural" areas, there's almost always an underclass group, hence forth causing the masses within the multicultural society to affirm (or reaffirm) negative stereotypes about these individuals, hence causing more hatred towards the underclass group; something that has increased among urban liberals particularly in recent years. Examples of this includes the growing hatred of all blacks in the northeast and all Hispanics in the southwest. This is one of the main reason why multicultural societies end up creating more divisions than unity.

What America needs is a monocultural society where various races living in a place where their experiences, upbringing, goals, concerns, and interests are similar. This is what we had during the 1980s-1990s and look how race relations were then (excluding the dramatic events such as the LA Riots and the OJ Simpson case). With a monocultural society, we can guarantee ourselves a formidable chance to conquer racial prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
In my opinion crime and all that accompany have more to do with socioeconomics and values than race.

In my neighborhood, we have all types of races within doors of each other.

We all get along great because we all value the same thing; good schools, peace and quiet, friendly, respectful neighbors, and no crime. We don't blare our stereos at each other, respect the neighborhood, the city, and most importantly, each other.

We appreciate what we have and don't take it for granted.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I agree that values play a big role.Even within races you will find groups like the religious who prefer to be a community unto themselves.Then there are eduational groups and atrist etc. They even tend to subdivide many cities .

Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I wish I could remember the social study on this issue or I would link to it but basically they studied racially diverse areas and found the people in them to actually be more insular and having less contact with their neighbors, less community cooperation, etc. And no, this wasn't some bogus right wing study with an agenda, it was done by university social scientists. All these bumper stickers phrases like "celibrate diversity" etc sound nice in theory but I believe the social science shows in reality it doesn't quite work out that way.
It also begs the question of what diversity really is. Is Berkeley ,CA, where everyone may be ethnically different but have the same left wing group think opinions really all that diverse?
Anyway, to the op, I use to live in eastern Washington and while it's not ethnically diverse, it is a nice area to live.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I wish I could remember the social study on this issue or I would link to it but basically they studied racially diverse areas and found the people in them to actually be more insular and having less contact with their neighbors, less community cooperation, etc. And no, this wasn't some bogus right wing study with an agenda, it was done by university social scientists. All these bumper stickers phrases like "celibrate diversity" etc sound nice in theory but I believe the social science shows in reality it doesn't quite work out that way.
Is this the study by Robert Putnam of Harvard University that you're referring to? Very interesting reading.

Does Diversity Cause Us to Mistrust One Another?

The Downside of Diversity
A Harvard political scientist finds that diversity hurts civic life. What happens when a liberal scholar unearths an inconvenient truth?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Thank you renault. yes that was it because I remember it was by the same author of Bowling Alone. Thanks again for digging that up.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 PM

164 posts, read 463,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
ITA. I live in a non-diversified town and I love it. No crime, excellent schools, no thugs, great neighbors, I feel very safe and comfortable here.

The fact is: some people want to live amongst their own kind. I don't think this should be a problem and nobody should be accused of being racist because of it, either.
There's nothing wrong in wanting to live in a community where people share your culture, however you define it. What most people take offense to is the idea that others are necessarily criminals, bigots, lax housekeepers, or otherwise disrespectful and undesirable neighbors. It sounds like your town is a great place, and you definitely shouldn't be called a racist for choosing to live there. Do you agree, though, that there are a lot of diverse and majority-other towns with low crime, good schools and friendly neighbors?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
My goodness. It looks like some people embrace "diversity" only if it means everyone thinks alike. How ironic that the above post is exhibiting the same closed mind and elitism that s/he is accusing the OP of exhibiting.
Bingo! You have to embrace the "correct" type of diversity and that usually excludes differing values or leanings.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I don't think many cities really have 'diversity'. Diversity means A LOT of different people from A LOT of different places. For example, Iranian, Indian, Brazilian, German, Russian, Ethiopian, Pacific Islander, etc., etc.

When I read this thread, many people seem to be talking about African-American, European-American, or Mexican...and not much else. I find all three of those to be VERY AMERICAN and not so diverse. I find those areas boring and dull and not diverse at all.

Diversity means you'll hear many different languages, have many different restaurants to eat from, and MANY different kinds of festivals from MANY different cultures around the world, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM

13 posts, read 36,435 times
I just want to say that just because a place is diverse does not mean it is bad. I live on a very nice street. There is no crime whatsoever, no loud music, everyone gets along, no problems at all.

And on my street [not neighborhood...just street] there is:

2 Indian Families
1 Korean Family
5 White Families
1 Chinese Family
3 Black Families
1 Muslim Family

And also the school I got to is very diverse too. There are also no problems there either except for some fights now and then but I'm pretty sure that happens at every school. At my school...

38% are White
24% are Black
19% are Asian
20% are Hispanic

So basically my school is racially diverse. It is also religiously diverse too although I don't know the statistics. I know plenty of Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, etc kids. We also have kids of many different ethnicities. I have had kids in my classes who have been Irish, German, Greek, Polish, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Jamaican, Zimbabwean, Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Colombian, Puerto Rican, Lebanese, Israeli, etc.

I live in a extremely diverse town and there is barely any crime. No murders.

Last edited by dancer1212; 07-09-2008 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.