U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has harsher winters?
Denver, CO 8 19.51%
Southern New England 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,455,078 times

Advertisements

Denver winters are almost summery, except on snow days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 AM

56,962 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Denver is going to have sunnier/occasionally warmer winters; but it will be longer. New England has more of a fall and spring buffer to winter where as Denver will often get snow very early in fall and well into what is traditionally considered "spring". New England/the Eastern US in general has much more defined seasons. Winter is winter, summer is summer, so on and so on. The mountain west has more of a diversity of sporadic weather throughout most of the year. It really depends on your preference of winter being less consistently dark/cold with more frequent breaks for sun/warmth...but lasting a longer time vs being more consistently "wintery" for several months but having a more defined beginning/end with a fall/spring.
Basically, as we just got snow on Friday and it has been minimal, for the most part. While different in how it occurs, Denver and Albany NY average about the same amount of snowfall in a winter(60.3 vs. 63.9 inches): Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,895,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
New England seems to be dark for 7 months too.
Leave for work in the dark, get home in the dark. If you dont have windows at our job, you might think you were in Greenland or something
Maybe if you leave for work at 5 am it will be dark. I leave for work at 7 am and there's plenty of light outside.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM

2,915 posts, read 4,939,921 times
In Denver for 13 years; born in CT with extended time in MA as well.

Winter: Gloom, mess, cloudy skies, etc.? More so in Southern New England.

Yes, the snow generally melts quickly in Denver, there is little sludge on the side of the road, MANY brilliantly sunny, cold days and very few clouds at all.

BUT as one wise poster pointed out, the season of winter is long in CO, MUCH longer than New England, spring comes LATE to the Rocky Mountain West, later than anywhere else in the lower 48. It can easily snow is May and the trees don't begin to bud until May unless it was unusually warm in April. March is Denver's snowiest month.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,989,493 times
Denver has a "mild" winter by Midwest and New England standards. It might get cold at night, but it warms up well above freezing most of the time during the day.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,178,275 times
But it seems that Denver gets its first snowfalls usually in October, and the last ones in May. In southern New England, it starts in November and usually ends in April at the latest. That's two extra months of snow potential in Denver...that sucks! Also, the average annual snowfall in southern New England is about 40 inches, but in Denver it's 54 inches. Yikes!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM

9,473 posts, read 18,408,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But it seems that Denver gets its first snowfalls usually in October, and the last ones in May. In southern New England, it starts in November and usually ends in April at the latest. That's two extra months of snow potential in Denver...that sucks! Also, the average annual snowfall in southern New England is about 40 inches, but in Denver it's 54 inches. Yikes!

I'm sure you've heard that cliche "if you don't like the weather around here, wait a minute". That applies to Denver more than anywhere being on the high plains at the edge of the Rockies it's subject to warm and cold winds from the north and the south for much of the year and the temps swing a lot there. I was just in Denver last week before Thanksgiving and it was a gorgeous 70 degree sunny day and I was wearing a T-shirt and jeans most of the day (albeit chilly later that evening). It's entirely plausible for a snowstorm and cold days to hit in October and April. I lived most of my life in Mass and I remember winter in 2011 had heaps of snow on the ground from January through March and I was pretty much beside myself, I hated it. I can deal with the snowstorm that comes and go's in April followed usually by the promise of a balmy sunny day shortly thereafter over the extended periods of snow, gloom, and cold in Southern New England winters, that really sucks.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM

53 posts, read 177,730 times
I grew up and currently live in CT, went to college in upstate NY (talk about a long, gloomy, snowy winter!), and lived in Denver for 2 years. In my experience, the Denver winter is much "better" than the New England/Northeast winters in terms of gloom and gray. As other posters have said it's almost always sunny in Denver when not actually snowing. For the first time in my life I was able to have a picnic in the park on my birthday in January! It does get cold, however due to the low humidity it did not seem as bone-chilling cold as in CT, IMO. I rarely used my winter coat while living in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.