U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has harsher winters?
Denver, CO 8 19.51%
Southern New England 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times

Advertisements

Which area has harsher winters? The southern New England region or Denver, Colorado?

Based on my research, it seems that winters are colder in New England, with daily highs in the 30s. In Denver, it reaches the 40s on average. Also, New England winters have a lot of cloudy, gloomy days, lasting up to 2 weeks sometimes, with no sunshine. Apparently, Denver gets mostly sunny days in the winter and supposedly the snow melts faster. As for snowfall, it seems like Denver gets a little more snowfall each winter, though.

So, I'm confused. Which winters are messier, colder, snowier, gloomier and more depressing in general? Help... because I am considering moving from Connecticut to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM

866 posts, read 2,305,897 times
Denver has something like 300 days of sunshine a year.

Just how many cities are you going to narrow it down to before you make up your mind? Or are you never going to move?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,847,635 times
I'd probably say southern New England, but not by much. They're both pretty harsh winter wise. Denver might get into the 40s on average, but keep in mind this 1) for every day that gets that warm, there's one that doesn't and 2) generally speaking this high temp is only for a couple hours, don't be deluded into thinking Denver is below freezing only at night because most of the day tends to be below or around freezing as well.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,054,123 times
Denver winter is snowier (barely). Southern New England is messier, gloomier, and more depressing.

On your category of "colder" Denver wintertime lows are colder but highs are higher. I'd prefer having the higher highs and the lower lows. That wintertime sun can feel really good even if it's kind of cold.

The one thing you left out is "longer". The Denver winters are longer, as often the most significant snow months are October/November and March/April. But the fact that you get so many nice days in the Denver winter cancels that out.

Overall, Denver winters are definitely easier to handle, in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,318,097 times
If you are like myself, and thrive on sunshine, Denver's blue skies are more than enough to offset some of the arctic cold that frequently invades the area as late as April. Something else to consider is the fact that snow in Denver will evaporate much faster due to the lower relative humidity. I've lived in New Jersey most of my life, before relocating to New Mexico. In NJ (analog to NE) the snow would stay on the ground for weeks after the snowfall was over. The few times it snowed in New Mexico (analog to Denver) the snow was gone before the end of the day. It is lighter snow as well, as it is not as much water-based.

In my estimation, this is a no-brainer: southern New England has more harsh winters.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,537,374 times
New England seems to be dark for 7 months too.
Leave for work in the dark, get home in the dark. If you dont have windows at our job, you might think you were in Greenland or something

Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM

639 posts, read 939,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
New England seems to be dark for 7 months too.
Leave for work in the dark, get home in the dark. If you dont have windows at our job, you might think you were in Greenland or something
The darkness always made me depressed during the Northeast winter months. I'd say Denver has much nicer winters than New England for the same reasons other posters mentioned.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,898,424 times
Denver is going to have sunnier/occasionally warmer winters; but it will be longer. New England has more of a fall and spring buffer to winter where as Denver will often get snow very early in fall and well into what is traditionally considered "spring". New England/the Eastern US in general has much more defined seasons. Winter is winter, summer is summer, so on and so on. The mountain west has more of a diversity of sporadic weather throughout most of the year. It really depends on your preference of winter being less consistently dark/cold with more frequent breaks for sun/warmth...but lasting a longer time vs being more consistently "wintery" for several months but having a more defined beginning/end with a fall/spring.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,444,446 times
Denver has quite pleasant winters, in my opinion, even though it gets the occasional blizzard that shuts everything down, and it is a longer winter that reaches serious cold snaps at times. It's still sunny, the snow melts quickly in the sun, and there are indian summers sprinkled throughout the winter. The fact that it's not a continuous cold makes it easier to tolerate as well.

I'm actually kind of a cold weather person, and I like Denver winters more than most other places in the country. I'd take them over the brown 40-degree mostly-rainy occasionally-snowy winters of the southeast and pacific northwest, the siberian winters of the great lakes (too much), the winterless Florida and SoCal, and the dark gloomy winters of the northeast. It's a good compromise.

The Northeast has awesome autumns though so it gets credit for that.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM

5,950 posts, read 7,316,956 times
Whops I voted Denver by accident. Southern New England by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.