U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 18-29 year olds only please: Where is your ideal place to live?
Big City 49 55.68%
Suburb 12 13.64%
Small Town 11 12.50%
Rural Area 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Even small cities can be a drab for young people. I would say minimum acceptable size is the 1.7 million metro range i.e. Charlotte.
What about college towns, which tend to offer quite a bit in a smaller package?

Also, one could say that a small town/village of say 1000-5000/10000 could be the best of both worlds if you want a slower, quieter pace, but close to a rural area. Some places of that size may offer enough and may be within a relatively close proximity to a bigger city. Here are a few examples I could think of: Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Village of Nyack | Official website for the Village of Nyack
Bars & Clubs in Nyack | Metromix Hudson Valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,040,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about college towns, which tend to offer quite a bit in a smaller package?

Also, one could say that a small town/village of say 1000-5000/10000 could be the best of both worlds if you want a slower, quieter pace, but close to a rural area. Some places of that size may offer enough and may be within a relatively close proximity to a bigger city. Here are a few examples I could think of: Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Village of Nyack | Official website for the Village of Nyack
Bars & Clubs in Nyack | Metromix Hudson Valley
Most college towns fall under the category of boutique towns. They are generally politically liberal, walkable, funky, and offer quite a bit for the creative class, all things at the top of most young peoples' list and the exact opposite of most small towns in America. Places like Asheville, NC come to mind.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM

48,047 posts, read 45,452,601 times
I live in a small town now(more like a rural suburb). I don't like it. Nothing to do, and nowhere I would want to go to. Big cities have more things for me to get into.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Most college towns fall under the category of boutique towns. They are generally politically liberal, walkable, funky, and offer quite a bit for the creative class, all things at the top of most young peoples' list and the exact opposite of most small towns in America. Places like Asheville, NC come to mind.
I only ask, because they usually aren't too big. You may have exceptions like this small city/area that only has a community college, but has its share of arts based activities and other events: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Glens Falls, NY - Official Website
Great Glens Falls Transit

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,040,567 times
Quote:
I only ask, because they usually aren't too big. You may have exceptions like this small city/area that only has a community college, but has its share of arts based activities and other events: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Yeah that is definitely a boutique town. Eureka Springs, Arkansas is another one. They are excellent in my opinion for young people who want the quiet and charm of a small town but with a 21st century mindset.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,282 times
I'd be ope to a college tow environment, but couldn't really see myself living in a metro area with a population less than 250k.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah that is definitely a boutique town. Eureka Springs, Arkansas is another one. They are excellent in my opinion for young people who want the quiet and charm of a small town but with a 21st century mindset.
Yeah, it is a city of 14,000 and a metro of about 165,000. It doesn't hurt that it is near tourist towns/cities(Lake George, Saratoga Springs and Ticonderoga), as well as the Adirondacks. Albany is only an hour away too.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Rachael Ray is from around that area.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Rachael Ray is from around that area.
Correct and she attended Lake George High School. Glens Falls is more of a regular city with things to do for its size.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Correct and she attended Lake George High School. Glens Falls is more of a regular city with things to do for its size.
Upstate NY is one of those places I hear about and read about, but since I've never been, I wonder what it would be like for me to go up there, and see it for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or