U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 18-29 year olds only please: Where is your ideal place to live?
Big City 49 55.68%
Suburb 12 13.64%
Small Town 11 12.50%
Rural Area 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM

704 posts, read 1,504,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I like small, outdoorsy-type cities, so between small town and big city. A place like Durango, CO for example. Perfection. 20 years old here.
My sister moved from Denver to Durango for school, and she vows that she doesn't want to come back. I'm not especially fond of the hippy-dippy vibe in Durango, and it is a good five or six hours away from anything resembling a city, but otherwise it's definitely a nice place. We're in our 20s and looking for something along the Front Range, but definitely smaller than the Denver area. Grand Junction/Palisade are also really, really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM

565 posts, read 822,375 times
Growing up in a medium sized town (35,000) sucked as there was nothing to do so kids at a young age always turned to drugs and alcohol since their parents did the same. Plus I don't care much for the gossip, its easy to turn everyone in a town like that against you. I live in a city about 115,000 and its better but still with the insular, clannish mentality that I hope so much to get away from so I'd consider going bigger, but not a mega city.

That said, I do like that crime tends (emphasis on "tends" since my hometown is a crime wreck) to be lower in smaller towns and traffic is better.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM

175 posts, read 227,655 times
I don't know.

I like big cities for their convenience and their energy. I currently live in nyc for grad school and I would not trade this experience for anything.

However, I don't think that I will settle here. For many reasons.

I am from the suburbs, Houston, and while I don't ever anticipate living in suburbia again, one thing I really miss about it is a community feel. I had great neighbors..we weren't stone cold strangers, we weren't nosy or intrusive, we were neighborly and peripherally friends. We shared some of what was going on in our lives and looked out for each other. We had potluck parties on the 4th of July. We lived separate lives within a cohesive and supportive community. I didn't realize how much that positively impacted my quality of life there until I left.

There is just no community feel to NYC for me personally.

I don't know that I can find this in a big city. I guess I "want my cake and to eat it too"? Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking, but I am having a blast here in the mean time.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,990,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetnights View Post
I don't know.

I like big cities for their convenience and their energy. I currently live in nyc for grad school and I would not trade this experience for anything.

I am from the suburbs, Houston, and while I don't ever anticipate living in suburbia again, one thing I really miss about it is a community feel. I had great neighbors..we weren't stone cold strangers, we weren't nosy or intrusive, we were neighborly and peripherally friends. We shared some of what was going on in our lives and looked out for each other. We had potluck parties on the 4th of July. We lived separate lives within a cohesive and supportive community. I didn't realize how much that positively impacted my quality of life there until I left.

I don't know that I can find this in a big city. I guess I "want my cake and to eat it too"? Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking, but I am having a blast here in the mean time.
It varies from city to city and from culture to culture, but, overall, I think you can. There are districts and neighborhoods in big cities that can sometimes act like small towns and give a sense of community.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

231 posts, read 559,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetnights View Post
I don't know.

I feel that is where making a solid social group(s) comes into play. I live in a somewhat dense zip code of ~7,500 people per square mile (no Manhattan obviously) but enough that animosity is the norm.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,484,792 times
I'm 27, will be 28 in April, and I have been longing to move out of the city for years now. Lived here in Seattle my entire life. Would LOVE a small town or rural/country setting. So tired of living in the city!

BTW, I feel exactly the same way about you as clubs. Never have liked them. Ever.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,002 times
I like small to midsize cities that feel like big-small towns. Portland, OR, would be a good example.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,528,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
LOL, i'm not offering anybody to move with me. I know by the title it could be interpreted as this.

I'm in my very early 20's and i'm from a very large extended-suburb about 1/hr away from the center of a large city. Growing up this way was okay but I kinda wish I grew up in a setting where everybody was forced to know each other and could walk to each other homes. My particular town/district was split up by highways, major roadways and a creek/park so walking to a friend's house in another part of town would be a very long&wild obstacle course. Since it was an extended suburb, there was no downtown area. Everybody shopped and commuted into other areas so there was literally zero community feeling.

It seems the OVERWHELMING-VAST MAJORITY of people my age want to move into the cool mega-cities but I hated moving into one. I feel like I don't exist and I just feel like a number. I feel like if I dropped off the face of the earth tomorrow then nobody would notice. I moved b/c I wanted to be closer to things like shopping and clubs but as an adult, shopping isn't NEARLY as important to me as it was when I was a teenager. I also learned that i'm not a club person at all (I think they're loud, disgusting and nasty). I also feel sick just by looking at urban grit day after day.

Once I graduate college in late 2013 then i'm packin my bags and goin to a small town somewhere over the rainbow! Anybody else can relate to me? Please also state which of the four place-types mentioned in the poll do you currently live in.
You will still feel like a number even in a small town. That won't change that.

I'm 22 and finally moving from a suburb of a medium size city to the center of a global city. Big cities for me, the boring lifestyle is not.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,603,642 times
I prefer mid sized cities like Denver or Seattle, though I wouldn't mind living in college towns like Fort Collins or Austin.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM

696 posts, read 882,104 times
I've always saw it like this...

Big City for 20-30/35 (young and no kids and about partying and dating )
Suburbs for 30/35-55 (people raising a family, better schools close to the city)
Rural / Small town for 55+ (people taking it easy, and enjoying the simpler things in life)
*Another addition to Rural is not only is it simpler and slower paced, but schools can be just as good if not better than Suburbs.

A Midsize city can be good as well for people who like the "city" but also like suburban style live living in a SFH and there own space.
Not quiete as boring as the suburbs, but at the same end of that you are not getting the same amount of fun as you would with a big city.

Just depends what the person is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or