U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you don't mind NY, Brockport and Ithaca come to mind. Brockport is a walkable second/third ring suburb of Rochester on the Erie Canal that has a college and Ithaca is basically a college town. There are cases were you can live in a nice walkable village or smaller city with some things to do that is close to a bigger city up here and with reasonable housing prices. Corning, which has a Fortune 500 company in Corning Inc., may be another small city to look into: Home : Corning's Gaffer District

College towns like East Lansing and Ann Arbor in Michigan could be options as well.
i don't know about brockport, because of lake effect snow ...

but i will check out the others listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
thanks!

charlottesville and boone were on my list already, as well as brevard nc.

i will look into Athens Ohio. I have heard some about it but not much.

Illinois is a dealbreaker, but Morgantown could be an idea.

Key West is pretty expensive, if i remember correctly.
All in all I think Charlottesville could be you best choice (depending upon your housing budget).

Live Where You Love: Charlottesville, Virginia - YouTube

Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All in all I think Charlottesville could be you best choice (depending upon your housing budget).

Live Where You Love: Charlottesville, Virginia - YouTube
my brother lives there, so i spend a lot of time in charlottesville already.

it fits the mold of what i want, but it's on the expensive side. There is a ton of old money in Charottesville that i can't really compete with in terms of real estate. In that sense it is a "boutique town" that I'm trying to avoid, like another version of Wilmington.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM

56,633 posts, read 80,930,134 times
These may work as well: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.
Glens Falls, NY - Official Website

City of St Joseph | Home Page
St. Joseph Today

Welcome to the lively and historic city of Oneonta, New York
Welcome to Sweet Home Oneonta - Visit Oneonta NY
Welcome to Oneonta NY! | Oneonta, New York 13820

Town of Blacksburg, VA : Home

City of Harrisonburg, VA
Harrisonburg Tourism - Home

Official Lockport, NY Government & Tourism Information ~ Erie Canal Locks & Flight of Five

Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Amherst, MA - Official Website
Home - Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce

The Wellsboro Area Chamber of Commerce : Home
Wellsboro Borough - Home

Home - The Mansfield Chamber of Commerce, Inc. - Mansfield PA

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Harrisonburg, VA might be a good choice. I'm concerned about moving into into a high-tax state like Mass or NY. I willl check these out individually as i get time.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,917,971 times
Madison, WI
St. Petersburg, FL

Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Harrisonburg, VA might be a good choice. I'm concerned about moving into into a high-tax state like Mass or NY. I willl check these out individually as i get time.
Just to put things into perspective, Oneonta NY and Harrisonburg VA are roughly the same in overall cost of living. Same for Ithaca and Charlottesville.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to put things into perspective, Oneonta NY and Harrisonburg VA are roughly the same in overall cost of living. Same for Ithaca and Charlottesville.
that's true, it may just be in my head.

but even so, climate is also important and Virginia is about 5 to 10 degrees warmer on average.

even smaller places than this appeal to me , too. i'm actually wondering if charlottesville isn't too big. i suppose at some point the places get so small that it's hard to know them to recommend them.

Last edited by le roi; 11-28-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:

but even so, climate is also important and Virginia is about 5 to 10 degrees warmer on average.

even smaller places than this appeal to me , too. i'm actually wondering if charlottesville isn't too big. i suppose at some point the places get so small that it's hard to know them to recommend them.
It is a matter of weighing everything out. I don't think Charlottesville is too small, as it is home to a world class university that is one of the best public/state universities this country has to offer. So, it will have a cosmopolitan feel in a smaller package. Ithaca is similar as well.

There's also the option of a nice smaller community that close to or close enough to a bigger city. This could be nice in terms of employment and activities to do.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:

Now that I have a better sense of your criteria I'd recommend some smaller versions of Charlottesville with more reasonable real estate costs and similar climate (or milder). Check out:

Staunton, Virginia
Visit Staunton Virginia

Hendersonville, NC
Visitors Information Center | Hendersonville | Flat Rock | CVB | Henderson County NC | Western North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.