U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Now that I have a better sense of your criteria I'd recommend some smaller versions of Charlottesville with more reasonable real estate costs and similar climate (or milder). Check out:

Staunton, Virginia
Visit Staunton Virginia

Hendersonville, NC
Visitors Information Center | Hendersonville | Flat Rock | CVB | Henderson County NC | Western North Carolina
Radford VA may be another place to consider: new river, radford virginia jobs, blacksburg va, radford univ, events in virginia

It is close to Blacksburg, which is where Virginia Tech is located and Radford has its own state university: Radford University | Virginia | Best in the Southeast

This community is in between the two others: Christiansburg, VA - Official Website So, it could give you a few options in one area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
i appreciate the ideas, guys.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,162,441 times
Travelers Rest SC

Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,542,871 times
You might want to see what the real estate costs are in Davis, California, near Sacramento. They've got to be much cheaper than in the coastal cities. Davis is definitely warm in summer, and is famous for bikability.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM

514 posts, read 668,619 times
I don't know what you do for a living, but you might want to consider Marietta, Ohio. It's on the North Country Trail and the Ohio River, the cost of living is relatively low, there's a fine small college, and the climate isn't too different from northern Virginia. Athens is also a good town. BTW, I've been to Oneonta, NY, and it's gorgeous. If you could handle the winters, the town is definitely walkable, and it's close to Cooperstown, NY, which is also lovely and historic.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Travelers Rest SC
TR isn't really my idea of pedestrian - friendly.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I don't know what you do for a living, but you might want to consider Marietta, Ohio.
i currently work in a field where i can move pretty much anywhere and find a job.

i'm working on starting a business that would make me truly location-agnostic, where i could work from home if i wanted.

Quote:
It's on the North Country Trail and the Ohio River, the cost of living is relatively low, there's a fine small college, and the climate isn't too different from northern Virginia. Athens is also a good town. BTW, I've been to Oneonta, NY, and it's gorgeous. If you could handle the winters, the town is definitely walkable, and it's close to Cooperstown, NY, which is also lovely and historic.
nah, New York is way too cold for me.

after checking some of these places out, i think i just need to emigrate to europe.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i currently work in a field where i can move pretty much anywhere and find a job.

i'm working on starting a business that would make me truly location-agnostic, where i could work from home if i wanted.

nah, New York is way too cold for me.

after checking some of these places out, i think i just need to emigrate to europe.
What is considered too cold for you, as it could narrow down locations to look into.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is considered too cold for you, as it could narrow down locations to look into.
i don't know if i could put a number on it. winters that are too intense or too long in duration wouldn't be a good choice.

plus places further away than a 5-6 hour drive of south carolina have a disadvantage. NY, New England, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc. are places i'd consider to be equally far away from my family (a plane ride).

there's a lot of towns in NC i haven't visited in a long time that might work. brevard, boone, etc. i had looked at blowing rock, nc, but it's too small and gentrified. i'm thinking somewhere with a good microclimate and a brewery where you can hang out around downtown with a near-zero chance of getting mugged.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 629 times
Default Mukilteo, WA

Check out Mukilteo, WA. Per Money Magazine (I think), it's one of the top ten small towns in America. I live there and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.