U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for ideas for new places to live. What are the most pedestrian-friendly places in America?

priorities are:

-Smaller cities and towns, no NYC / Boston. Even mid-sized cities like Portland would be too big for my taste.
-Reasonable real estate. No expensive cities or resort / boutique cities, so this rules out most of the west coast and the Northeast.
-Low crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
What do you consider to be reasonable real estate? Is there anything else you are looking for in a community?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Key West, FL

Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
Newport, PA. Crime is so low, they abolished the police.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm looking for ideas for new places to live. What are the most pedestrian-friendly places in America?

priorities are:

-Smaller cities and towns, no NYC / Boston. Even mid-sized cities like Portland would be too big for my taste.
-Reasonable real estate. No expensive cities or resort / boutique cities, so this rules out most of the west coast and the Northeast.
-Low crime rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Key West, FL
Key West is uber-expensive.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
I searched all 48 contiguous states and found just the cities listed below. All have WalkScores above 60 with more centralized areas of town scoring much higher (in the 70s or higher). Real Estate is relatively reasonable and the crime rates are not high.

Evanston, IL (WalkScore of 75)

Boone, NC (WalkScore of 67)

Morgantown, WV (WalkScore of 63)

Charlottesville, VA (WalkScore of 63)

Athens, OH (WalkScore of 63)

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I searched all 48 contiguous states and found just the cities listed below. All have WalkScores above 60 with more centralized areas of town scoring much higher (in the 70s or higher). Real Estate is relatively reasonable and the crime rates are not high.

College towns should do well in this regard and all of the above are just that.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

thanks!

charlottesville and boone were on my list already, as well as brevard nc.

i will look into Athens Ohio. I have heard some about it but not much.

Illinois is a dealbreaker, but Morgantown could be an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Key West, FL
Key West is pretty expensive, if i remember correctly.

Last edited by le roi; 11-28-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What do you consider to be reasonable real estate? Is there anything else you are looking for in a community?
Nothing too extreme; I mean I'd like a decent economy, but it doesn't need to be on fire. I'm young and single so I don't want a community geared for retirees. Schools need to be decent, as that's a reflection of the people living there and the crime rate. I'm looking for ideas for towns that are:

- Safe to walk around in
- Not full of tourists and transients

I'm currently in Wilmington, NC, and both of these are issues. It's a constant cycle of people moving here for a year or two and then moving away. Our downtown has potential to be walkable, but there are just too many criminals downtown to make walking a lifestyle. The rest of the city is pretty safe, but it's a traffic nightmare.

I'm thinking that Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or the intermountain west might have some smaller communities I've never heard of.

Last edited by le roi; 11-28-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Nothing too extreme; I mean I'd like a decent economy, but it doesn't need to be on fire. I'm young and single so I don't want a community geared for retirees. Schools need to be decent, as that's a reflection of the people living there and the crime rate. I'm looking for ideas for towns that are:

- Safe to walk around in
- Not full of tourists and transients

I'm currently in Wilmington, NC, and both of these are issues. It's a constant cycle of people moving here for a year or two and then moving away. Our downtown has potential to be walkable, but there are just too many criminals downtown to make walking a lifestyle. The rest of the city is pretty safe, but it's a traffic nightmare.

I'm thinking that Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or the intermountain west might have some smaller communities I've never heard of.
If you don't mind NY, Brockport and Ithaca come to mind. Brockport is a walkable second/third ring suburb of Rochester on the Erie Canal that has a college and Ithaca is basically a college town. There are cases were you can live in a nice walkable village or smaller city with some things to do that is close to a bigger city up here and with reasonable housing prices. Corning, which has a Fortune 500 company in Corning Inc., may be another small city to look into: Home : Corning's Gaffer District

College towns like East Lansing and Ann Arbor in Michigan could be options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.