U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,074,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I don't know much about Waukesha county. It vaguely reminds me of Johnson county ks without those issues we are familiar with. From what I understand, any growth there comes from Milwaukee county people looking to lower their property taxes. The Milwaukee metro holds steady, but growth does seem almost nonexistent.

Jobs and growth are important factors, but there has to be more to it for me. I can understand the appeal of Madison to some, but the vibe I get when I go there.... I'm certain I wouldn't like it.
As was mentioned earlier, Madison is a magnet for talent, and retains a LOT of its talent. The percentage of those 25 and older who hold Bachelor's Degrees is at 48%, and those 25 and older with advanced degrees is 21%. Those holding Bachelor's Degrees at 25 and older for Des Moines is 22%, and advanced degrees is at 6.5%.

I always get an intellectual vibe in Madison - and not just around campus. I don't get that in Des Moines, although I like the city, and understand why some might like it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,063,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
As was mentioned earlier, Madison is a magnet for talent, and retains a LOT of its talent. The percentage of those 25 and older who hold Bachelor's Degrees is at 48%, and those 25 and older with advanced degrees is 21%. Those holding Bachelor's Degrees at 25 and older for Des Moines is 22%, and advanced degrees is at 6.5%.

I always get an intellectual vibe in Madison - and not just around campus. I don't get that in Des Moines, although I like the city, and understand why some might like it more.
Almost every college town in the United States has a population with a very high % holding bachelor's degrees.

In Bloomington Indiana, 56% of those aged 25 and older have a bachelor's degree or higher.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Well yeah. There's no public university in Des Moines. It's more of a political hub and regional culture hub than an educational hub (not to discount the importance of Drake and DMU), and that's fine. I think of it as the St. Paul to Madison's Minneapolis. The nearest state university is ISU in Ames, 25 minutes north of the major northern Des Moines suburbs. If/when Des Moines and Ames combine, we'll start seeing a lot more of that "intellectual vibe."
I personally prefer Des Moines, but I agree, I understand why others like Madison more. They're two sides of the same coin.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Well yeah. There's no public university in Des Moines. It's more of a political hub and regional culture hub than an educational hub (not to discount the importance of Drake and DMU), and that's fine. I think of it as the St. Paul to Madison's Minneapolis. The nearest state university is ISU in Ames, 25 minutes north of the major northern Des Moines suburbs. If/when Des Moines and Ames combine, we'll start seeing a lot more of that "intellectual vibe."
I personally prefer Des Moines, but I agree, I understand why others like Madison more. They're two sides of the same coin.
Those from the eastern US generally like Madison better because it has more similarities to the eastern states. Des Moines just has more of a western feel overall and the culture is different. It is the beginning of the transition to the West.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,241,725 times
I will say this...while I don't particularly enjoy these types of cities, Des Moines & Madison for a certain kind of person are great.

Just think of "Stuff White People Like", a person you know who is into that, and there's arguably no better city for them than Des Moines or Madison (yuppie mid-sized cities). There's larger cities like this (Boston, Chicago), but the vibe is somewhat offset by everything else that is offered. Not in the mid-sized cities.

- went to state university
- somewhat liberal (although probably exaggerated how midwesterners who vote democrat tend to do)
- into "local" everything, politics, minor league ball, local bands that all try to emulate Dave Matthews
- obsessed with microbrew beer

It doesn't get any better.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I will say this...while I don't particularly enjoy these types of cities, Des Moines & Madison for a certain kind of person are great.

Just think of "Stuff White People Like", a person you know who is into that, and there's arguably no better city for them than Des Moines or Madison (yuppie mid-sized cities). There's larger cities like this (Boston, Chicago), but the vibe is somewhat offset by everything else that is offered. Not in the mid-sized cities.

- went to state university
- somewhat liberal (although probably exaggerated how midwesterners who vote democrat tend to do)
- into "local" everything, politics, minor league ball, local bands that all try to emulate Dave Matthews
- obsessed with microbrew beer

It doesn't get any better.
Madison has a much nicer natural setting than Des Moines, though.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Most would probably agree, although I don't think a couple lakes here & there make much difference. They are basically interchangeable. I also don't like the natural setting of the midwest to begin with though, lack of palm trees, ocean, mountains.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,942 times
Madison's lakes are gorgeous, but Des Moines has a major recreational lake as well (Saylorville), and what it lacks downtown its skyline and riverwalk make up for. The only advantage Madison really has in this area is its proximity to bluff country, but that's not really part of the metro area.
I'll give it to you, though. Madison gets to act a little like a coastal city, and that's not nothing.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,404,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Most would probably agree, although I don't think a couple lakes here & there make much difference. They are basically interchangeable. I also don't like the natural setting of the midwest to begin with though, lack of palm trees, ocean, mountains.
Noted, BUT this is a thread about Midwestern cities so mountains, oceans and palm trees are not relevant when discussing city attributes.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM

In terms of nature, the spring/summer storms can be the only interesting thing about the midwest. Never found lakes, bluffs, little hills appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.