U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,075,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
In terms of nature, the spring/summer storms can be the only interesting thing about the midwest. Never found lakes, bluffs, little hills appealing.
Too bad for you, I guess. I would tend to think someone who can't find beauty in lakes, bluffs and hills is missing out. Frank Lloyd Wright loved it enough to live a little south of Madison. The quiet beauty of the bluffs and hills is stunning. (IMO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,242,196 times
Most people in the midwest are amazed by bluffs & hills. I think they are ok, but strongly prefer palm trees & actual mountains.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM

4,268 posts, read 5,488,340 times
Quote:
Most people in the midwest are amazed by bluffs & hills. I think they are ok, but strongly prefer palm trees & actual mountains.
How are these comments germane to the topic at hand?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM

20,855 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Quote:
In terms of nature, the spring/summer storms can be the only interesting thing about the midwest. Never found lakes, bluffs, little hills appealing.
The Northwoods of the Upper Midwest is more appealing for those that like a large quantity of lakes and dense coniferous forests.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM

94 posts, read 137,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Dane county has nearly 500,000 people so definitely not exclusively a college town at all, even though Madison is the state capitol obviously. And, it is a magnet for attracting and retaining a good deal of talent and job creaters who want to live here. Why is it that Waukesha county is not growing at all while Dane county is growing at nearly 2% a year? Waukesha county is certainly wealthy, but people aren't moving there.
I love Madison/Dane County. It is a gorgeous bike-friendly small city with beautiful skyline by lakes, the presense of highly educated population thanks to UW-Madison, and the center of state politics.

At the same time, you can drive out to the countryside with dotted farms and corn fields in just a few minutes. It has the best of both worlds (urban and rural).

I would always choose Madison over Des Moines! I just can't explain why I dislike Des Moines.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,765,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Too bad for you, I guess. I would tend to think someone who can't find beauty in lakes, bluffs and hills is missing out. Frank Lloyd Wright loved it enough to live a little south of Madison. The quiet beauty of the bluffs and hills is stunning. (IMO)
It's one of the US's best-kept secrets, isn't it? Love it up here in bluff country.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Quote:
a palm tree is by far, the ugliest tree that exists

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,322,771 times
Quote:
That's fine, everyone is different.

I personally find palm trees to be ugly and believe that if they were a Northern tree and they didn't represent sunshine, beaches and paradise that they wouldn't be so highly regarded. I think Northern trees like Maples, Birches, Elms, Cottonwoods, or various types of Pines are incredibly beautiful. I also love the (more Southern) Savannahs, but they don't usually grow too far north of I-80.

It's hard for me to understand what someone would not like about a lake but if they were used to the ocean their entire lives I can see how the perspective would be different.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,130,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
a palm tree is by far, the ugliest tree that exists
Of course it's all opinion, but I agree. Palms are ugly trees.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,108,709 times
They have fake palm trees in the lobby of my office building. They do not need to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.