Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Yes. Freshwater fish are prone to certain parasites that can also infect humans. Health departments don't allow freshwater sushi. I'm not sure what the deal is with salmon, it is probably safe because it is an ocean fish most of its' life and doesn't eat during its' fresh water breeding run. I wouldn't eat salmon raw if it came out of the great lakes watershed.
I know that saltwater fish also has parasites that can infect humans but for sushi grade they are vigorously checked (the same as is for all raw meats for raw consumption). Do you think it'd be much more difficult to do so for freshwater fish? Also, I remember in south dakota eating raw freshwater fish. It was delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 PM

94 posts, read 160,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I have been to enough I don't want to goto more.

Larger midwestern cities consider having a visible gay population, voting democrat, and some ethnic restaurants as being totally amazing. Where, in a coastal larger city - it's baseline, not seen as this amazing thing. Minneapolis & Chicago are exceptions (Minneapolis feeling more "coastal" in its progressive attitudes.)

Besides Minneapolis & Chicago - midwest cities are generally amazed at having a visible gay population (or hipsters for that matter).. Minneapolis & Chicago like coastal cities, recognize LGBT as part of society and that's that. Everywhere else in the midwest....people get in frivolous arguments over which is more gay-friendly, which has a gayer mayor, gay city council member, gay Burger King drive-thru, etc.

Feigned liberalism, intentionally exaggerated to overcompensate.
I am not sure if I understand your point. Many cities in the Midwest are progressive to liberal not just Minneapolis, Madison, and Chicago. Columbus, OH and Ann Arbor, MI are on that list also.

The Midwest in general are accepting of GLBT population. Even medium-sized Midwestern college towns such as Iowa City and Bloomington, IN are very GLBT-friendly.

Just because the Midwest seems to be boring to outsiders doesn't mean that the region is very conservative.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM

94 posts, read 160,161 times
Default Pictures of Midwestern Cities

I saw a post suggesting that we share pictures of the cities in the Midwest. I think it is a fantastic idea for this thread.

Here are the pictures of two Midwestern cities I visited three months ago: Minneapolis (I-35 West towards Downtown) and Madison (taken at Olin Park).

I am eager to see what you can share!
Attached Thumbnails
Best Midwestern Cities (Pop. 200,000+)-my-pictures-037.jpg   Best Midwestern Cities (Pop. 200,000+)-my-pictures-026.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I know that saltwater fish also has parasites that can infect humans but for sushi grade they are vigorously checked (the same as is for all raw meats for raw consumption). Do you think it'd be much more difficult to do so for freshwater fish? Also, I remember in south dakota eating raw freshwater fish. It was delicious.
I don't remember the exact mechanisms. I am the head chef of a restaurant so I deal with this on a professional level. Health departments will not allow you to serve raw freshwater fish. I think it is because some of the parasites in freshwater fish are more on the level of bacterial type organisms while with saltwater fish the main issues are with worms which can easily be seen by the naked eye. That is off the top of my head. Farm runoff, e coli and other bacteria in the water may also play a role. Since nobody serves freshwater sushi this is more in the realm of trivia rather than practical knowledge that is used on a regular basis, so I am not 100% on this stuff.

Also, it should be noted that there is no legal definition of "sushi grade". Generally sushi places buy their fish from the same sources as other restaurants (hopefully the better sources). In theory all fish sold by sushi restaurants is supposed to be frozen before it is servered (to kill worms) but it doesn't necessarily happen.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
when was pittsburgh ever midwestern? pennsylvania is not a midwest state.
I think if you asked most people outside of the Northeast/Midwest, they would assume Pittsburgh is Midwestern. I certainly did.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
lol @ the LGBT argument for the Midwest being full of such feigned liberals. Tell me, which of these three states currently has legalized gay marriage: California (coastal), Delaware (coastal) or Iowa (midwestern)? Honestly, where there is and isn't gay marriage or civil unions is a crap shoot and is a stupid argument people use to say "blah blah blah we're more liberal than you..." The Midwest is, or tries to be, more of an egalitarian place, if anything. People are just people. You are no more a better, more accepting person if you live in Rhode Island or North Dakota.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
I am not sure if I understand your point. Many cities in the Midwest are progressive to liberal not just Minneapolis, Madison, and Chicago. Columbus, OH and Ann Arbor, MI are on that list also.

The Midwest in general are accepting of GLBT population. Even medium-sized Midwestern college towns such as Iowa City and Bloomington, IN are very GLBT-friendly.

Just because the Midwest seems to be boring to outsiders doesn't mean that the region is very conservative.
Yes really of all Midwestern cities Chicago is not the most LGBT.

Columbus and Minneapolis have embraced their LGBT populations on a much more progressive level and in terms of per capita LGBT population: Columbus is the highest not on the coast followed by Minneapolis.

Now Chicago is a very progressive city, huge, and of course a great place to live too.

But many do not realize that in terms of per capita it isn't the "gayest" place in the midwest region. That would be Columbus (for larger cities)

Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
the most gay-friendly city in the midwest is st. louis, not chicago.

http://www.hrc.org/files/assets/reso...12_HRC_MEI.pdf

Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Yes really of all Midwestern cities Chicago is not the most LGBT.

Columbus and Minneapolis have embraced their LGBT populations on a much more progressive level and in terms of per capita LGBT population: Columbus is the highest not on the coast followed by Minneapolis.

Now Chicago is a very progressive city, huge, and of course a great place to live too.

But many do not realize that in terms of per capita it isn't the "gayest" place in the midwest region. That would be Columbus (for larger cities)
What's your source that says Columbus has the highest per capita? I recall that claim was in a Columbus Alive article somewhere. Based on 2010 US census data Minneapolis ranked 4th for highest number of same-sex couples after San Francisco, Seattle, and Oakland.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why do people rank Cleveland so low? The Cleveland area is about on the level of the Detroit Metro and the Twin Cities.
???

The Cleveland metro is 2 million vs over 3.5 million for Detroit/TC: that's almost half as much. As far as amenities for city/metro it competes and even bests Detroit in numerous departments, but there's no contest with the TC which offers whatever Cleveland does/doesn't have in spades. Cleveland is comparable to metros closer to its size like nearby Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or a bit further out, St Louis whose metro is closer to 3 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree, Cleveland is so much better than Indy or Columbus.
Indy, sure, but Columbus... Fact is, it's much harder to find an intact commercial strip of urban blocks with stuff to do in Cleveland that exceeds two blocks than in Columbus. Cleveland offers more overall than Indy, but Indy's intact downtown and one dense neighborhood strip in Broad Ripple (which is all urban Indy has to offer), despite being only two long blocks, bests Cleveland's downtown and densest neighborhood district. Walking along Columbus' three miles of High St packs in more compelling urban fun than Cleveland's spread out collection of tiny two-block districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.