U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,239,394 times
Reputation: 910

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus', and some other cities, policies are liberal. These are places that are liberal not because of a college campus but the widespread city, metro, and this extends to citywide polices. The city is very progressive and especially on LGBT rights. I invite you to come and study more about. I think you would be very surprised.

It is a fact some dont know that Columbus has the largest pride parade in the midwest after Chicago. Over 120,000 attend yearly. It is a very welcoming and liberal city. But back to the topic:

An example of these citywide policies are that the entire city has policies extending LGBT city domestic partnerships to couples and more (like other cities do, where states deny it). Because the state won't the city is recognizing partnerships. If Columbus was all of Ohio it would have polices as liberal as the coast (sometimes it is hard place to live as the city/county are much more progressive than the state).

The city has for several decades had a large LGBT population and this has led to very public citywide inclusion. HRC did rate Columbus' 83 on the LGBT equality index.

This index looks at laws and polices (from city government to schools to state government and police) It also has one of the largest per capita donations to LGBT organizations. It really is a politically driven city that puts its money where its mouth is. And I don't like that being underestimated based on people's experiences in other places.


On the HRC equality index (just published) some of the highest midwest cities were Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Columbus. This index recognizes cities not for bars or something trivial but widespread metro and city LGBT favorable policies. And as you said that's what matters.

Here is a link to the index, you can read about their measurements and see the cities that do stack up well in the midwest: http://www.hrc.org/files/assets/reso...12_HRC_MEI.pdf
I'm not denying Columbus is liberal in this aspect, but that does not mean it's an across-the-board liberal city. Nowhere in the midwest really is.

Gay rights can also be misleading. Iowa for example, has legalized gay marriage. Does that mean anywhere in Iowa is more LGBT-friendly than San Francisco? Obviously not. The paradox lies in the fact gay marriage is recognized at a courthouse in rural Iowa - but not in San Francisco's Castro district.

Most all cities over 100,000 in the US by this point are at least somewhat gay friendly (besides some in the deep south), it's midwestern cities using standard gay rights to pretend they are basically super liberal when they aren't. I've been to every major city in the country and there's a difference in attitudes when you compare Chicago to LA regarding what liberal means. Minneapolis is the only large city in the midwest that has a real progressive mentality (outside of the college campus sense).

Midwestern cities spend all this time convincing themselves they are more liberal than they really are, it's impressive. Feigned liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,798 posts, read 18,999,348 times
Reputation: 6800
Chicago. Then Minneapolis and Milwaukee. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,798 posts, read 18,999,348 times
Reputation: 6800
lol@this gay debate. Chicago is very gay friendly. A lot of my friends are openly gay. Nobody could give a **** here whether you're gay or not here. Sure there are SOME who care, but on average most people really don't care. TONS of gay people here. Technically, there's more people in Chicago than in San Francisco.

i've lived in and been in other cities in the midwest. Not even close. Chicago is a lot gay friendlier than those. If you bring up Iowa..yeah I went to school there. Lived there for a year after. They legalized gay marriage there, but in reality there are a lot of very closet bigots in Iowa. On the outside they appear to be OK with it, but get to know some. Completely different story. They are just afraid to voice their opinions (which isn't a bad thing in this case).

Last edited by marothisu; 12-08-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 AM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,239,394 times
Reputation: 910
I'll admit, I'm amused when I see midwesterners post stuff like "Chicago is just sooo liberal I have no idea how anyone could live there". Des Moines for example, is on the same political spectrum as Chicago, (neither are close to Minneapolis) besides a few neighborhoods in Chicago. If anything, Des Moines tries to be more liberal than it really is. Iowa City actually is liberal, but that is confined to campus. College towns are outliers of liberalism.

I'd say Chicago is solidly democratic "American" city, but still maintains a conservative feel overall, especially the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,511 posts, read 9,044,918 times
Reputation: 5008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I'll admit, I'm amused when I see midwesterners post stuff like "Chicago is just sooo liberal I have no idea how anyone could live there". Des Moines for example, is on the same political spectrum as Chicago, (neither are close to Minneapolis) besides a few neighborhoods in Chicago. If anything, Des Moines tries to be more liberal than it really is. Iowa City actually is liberal, but that is confined to campus. College towns are outliers of liberalism.

I'd say Chicago is solidly democratic "American" city, but still maintains a conservative feel overall, especially the metro.
so to you, what city has a liberal feel in the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM
 
976 posts, read 1,878,392 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus', and some other cities, policies are liberal. These are places that are liberal not because of a college campus but the widespread city, metro, and this extends to citywide polices. The city is very progressive and especially on LGBT rights. I invite you to come and study more about. I think you would be very surprised.

It is a fact some dont know that Columbus has the largest pride parade in the midwest after Chicago. Over 120,000 attend yearly. It is a very welcoming and liberal city. But back to the topic:

An example of these citywide policies are that the entire city has policies extending LGBT city domestic partnerships to couples and more (like other cities do, where states deny it). Because the state won't the city is recognizing partnerships. If Columbus was all of Ohio it would have polices as liberal as the coast (sometimes it is hard place to live as the city/county are much more progressive than the state).

The city has for several decades had a large LGBT population and this has led to very public citywide inclusion. HRC did rate Columbus' 83 on the LGBT equality index.

This index looks at laws and polices (from city government to schools to state government and police) It also has one of the largest per capita donations to LGBT organizations. It really is a politically driven city that puts its money where its mouth is. And I don't like that being underestimated based on people's experiences in other places.


On the HRC equality index (just published) some of the highest midwest cities were Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Columbus. This index recognizes cities not for bars or something trivial but widespread metro and city LGBT favorable policies. And as you said that's what matters.

Here is a link to the index, you can read about their measurements and see the cities that do stack up well in the midwest: http://www.hrc.org/files/assets/reso...12_HRC_MEI.pdf
you are for some reason leaving out st. louis, which scored higher than any midwestern city in the LGBT tolerance index (100%). and please post your source about columbus's pride parade being 2nd largest in the midwest. st. louis has long hosted one of the largest pridefests in the united states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,266 posts, read 5,473,848 times
Reputation: 4591
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I'll admit, I'm amused when I see midwesterners post stuff like "Chicago is just sooo liberal I have no idea how anyone could live there". Des Moines for example, is on the same political spectrum as Chicago, (neither are close to Minneapolis) besides a few neighborhoods in Chicago. If anything, Des Moines tries to be more liberal than it really is. Iowa City actually is liberal, but that is confined to campus. College towns are outliers of liberalism.

I'd say Chicago is solidly democratic "American" city, but still maintains a conservative feel overall, especially the metro.
Then how do you even count the LA metro area as one of your "across the board" liberal areas? Orange county is super conservative. Most very large metros (like NYC, LA, Chi, DFW etc) have pockets of liberal and conservative areas...and using gay marriage as a proxy for liberalism is an example of "feigned liberalism" that you are against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Reputation: 11208
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you are for some reason leaving out st. louis, which scored higher than any midwestern city in the LGBT tolerance index (100%). and please post your source about columbus's pride parade being 2nd largest in the midwest. st. louis has long hosted one of the largest pridefests in the united states.
This Columbus booster site claims being the second-largest, obviously a biased source:
Experience Columbus - GLBT

This year's parade drew 230k.
Pride Parade honors gays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,239,394 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Then how do you even count the LA metro area as one of your "across the board" liberal areas? Orange county is super conservative. Most very large metros (like NYC, LA, Chi, DFW etc) have pockets of liberal and conservative areas...and using gay marriage as a proxy for liberalism is an example of "feigned liberalism" that you are against.
Orange County still feels socially more liberal than most of the midwest, even being a conservative county (by California standards). I'm not saying Orange County is as liberal as Chicago's liberal neighborhoods by any means...it simply isn't. It's obviously socially more liberal than DuPage or Lake County though, and most of Chicago metro. Liberal in the midwest just isn't the same...Minneapolis is the exception.

And I'm saying gay marriage is not a good indicator of liberalism. Using that rationale, any small town in Iowa is more liberal than San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,239,394 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
so to you, what city has a liberal feel in the metro?
Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, Minneapolis

It's impossible for the entire metro to be liberal. Even SF probably has a conservative-voting suburb or two, that's just human nature. Not everyone can be liberal.

Yet, the baseline liberalism in these metros is so much stronger than anything you'd find anywhere in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top