U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,072,419 times

Advertisements

Maybe this thread should be moved to the U.S. Forums - Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
My favorites:

Chicago
Minneapolis
Madison

Old 12-17-2012, 05:10 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Pittsburgh is not midwestern according to most people. Its considered northeastern but it DOES infact have some midwestern culture contrary to the belief of pittsburghians.
Some, but not enough to be Midwestern. Saying that Pittsburgh is Midwestern is like saying Amarillo, TX is a humid subtropical climate because they get rain sometimes.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Some, but not enough to be Midwestern. Saying that Pittsburgh is Midwestern is like saying Amarillo, TX is a humid subtropical climate because they get rain sometimes.
I don't expect you to agree, but Pittsburgh arguably has more in common with the Midwest than the Northeast. The prices of real estate and cost of living, it is landlocked, it has/had a heavy manufacturing base, it has 4 distinct seasons, etc. I consider it "Eastern" but it could totally be "Midwestern" depending on the conversation.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,533,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't expect you to agree, but Pittsburgh arguably has more in common with the Midwest than the Northeast. The prices of real estate and cost of living, it is landlocked, it has/had a heavy manufacturing base, it has 4 distinct seasons, etc. I consider it "Eastern" but it could totally be "Midwestern" depending on the conversation.
I've lived here for a few years now, and I gotta tell you dude, coming from Minneapolis, this place is most definitely not Midwestern.

I don't know what it is....it's not really Eastern, either. It's pretty much Appalachian.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM

10,559 posts, read 13,118,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
im really starting to doubt if you ever been to Indianapolis at all. Much less than live there at all.
enlighten me some then.
I have and I try to spend as little time as possible there.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM

10,559 posts, read 13,118,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is all so laughable. Indianapolis has the WORST dropout rate of any city in the United States, with 70% of all high school freshmen dropping out before they get their HS diploma

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/ed...pout.html?_r=0

"The study found that the Indianapolis public schools had the lowest graduation rate of any large American city in 2005, with only 30 percent of freshmen graduating on time."

With all your rah-rah boosterism for Indianapolis, the city really sucks big time in a lot of really important categories, and hosting the Stupid-Bowl football game did nothing to change that.
Wow, that is truly an awful statistic. Not very surprising though.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,328,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Person only mentioned IPS which is bad but there are 8 public school districts in Indianapolis, kind of left out 7

Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It is important to note, that the stat is a little bit of a misnomer, and has been explained once already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The study referenced Indianapolis Public Schools, which is only one of 9 school districts in Indianapolis. IPS is the victim of a few problems:

1) the proliferation of Charter Schools
2) The ease of enrolling in any of the other school districts in Indianapolis

That essentially leaves IPS with the folks who are too poor or indifferent to leave; and the folks who use the magnet programs within IPS.

Statistically, that makes IPS look a little lower than it probably should relative to other cities. However, that doesn't excuse IPS.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I've lived here for a few years now, and I gotta tell you dude, coming from Minneapolis, this place is most definitely not Midwestern.

I don't know what it is....it's not really Eastern, either. It's pretty much Appalachian.
Don't forget, Minneapolis is not really that Midwestern either, by Midwestern standards, and I live in Cleveland -- a stone's throw away from Pittsburgh (and CLE is "Midwest"). I think that puts it in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.