U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The only people I ever hear say this, are people that have not spent much, if any, time in Indianapolis.
Yeah it was probably a knee-jerk reaction to the constant boosterism from one individual that insists on a my-opinion-is-more-correct-than-yours type of attitude...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,568,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You're clearly talking about the last Census, and only for the core cities. Remember, the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are roughly 50 sq. miles in land area and cannot expand. Indianapolis gobbles up land through annexation and therefore "grows" census to census, but much of Indy's 350+ sq. miles is actually quite suburban in nature as a result. However, there are 12,000+ multi-family units either approved or under construction in the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul right now, so I expect both city centers to show population growth by the next Census poll.

A better indication of regional growth is by metropolitan area, and currently (2010 and 2011) the Twin Cities are growing at the same clip as Indy, KC or Columbus.
stop using this arguement against Indianapolis it really is old and outdated.
as Msamhunter said long ago and he is right. Indianapolis annexed and merged with Marion County in 1967. its 2012 now. So that arguement is old and outdated.
Indianapolis metro area grew by 15-20% in the last 10 years which is an amazing growth rate for any city/town in the midwest or northeast.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,616,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
stop using this arguement against Indianapolis it really is old and outdated.
as Msamhunter said long ago and he is right. Indianapolis annexed and merged with Marion County in 1967. its 2012 now. So that arguement is old and outdated.
Indianapolis metro area grew by 15-20% in the last 10 years which is an amazing growth rate for any city/town in the midwest or northeast.
The METRO grew by that much because the northern suburbs in Hamilton county, mainly Carmel and Fishers, exploded from 30,000 or 40,000 to 80,000 people each in the past 10 years. Yes, Indianapolis itself did grow in the past 10 years, but only by 4.9%. Make sure you know the difference between the city and the metro.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM

94 posts, read 137,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Indianapolis is a sprawling, cultureless, incredibly boring city. You're right about the Sunbelt factor....it's Phoenix minus the warm weather.
Natural510, I disagree with your opinion about Indianapolis. I never find it incredibly boring and cultureless. You must be biased since you live in Ohio.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM

94 posts, read 137,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'm of the opposite opinion. The main thing I would despise about living in the great lake states is the climate. I'll keep my hot, humid bootheel summers as long as I can also keep my relatively mild winters.
I am the opposite of you. I would rather put up with harsh winters over hot, humid summers; however, I am open to living in Kansas City and Indianapolis.

I have family members living in Cape Girardeau in the Bootheel. Although the city is scenic, I still find that part of MO to be incredibly boring.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,568,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
I am the opposite of you. I would rather put up with harsh winters over hot, humid summers; however, I am open to living in Kansas City and Indianapolis.

I have family members living in Cape Girardeau in the Bootheel. Although the city is scenic, I still find that part of MO to be incredibly boring.
as the old saying goes.
Its easier to *Heat up* than *Cool down*

Also keep in mind Indianapolis has the best location of any major US city.
lets see what other cities/areas i can reach in a 5 hour drive from Indy.
off the top of my head: Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit/Cincy/St Louis/Dayton and Columbus Ohio/Louisville/Evansville/Fort Wayne/Peoria, Illinois and South Bend.

Altogether thats over 20 million people within a 5 hour or less drive from Indy. Which is equal to the New York Metro area's population.
Hmm and i wonder why the NFL brought the Super Bowl to Indianapolis and is due to bring it again in the future *Sarcasm intended*

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,898,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post

I grew up 10 miles outside of Cape. Many local people consider that boredom to be a good thing

Out of the major midwestern cities, I'm not sure where I would pick. Probably Cincy or Indy. KC wouldn't be too bad either.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM

321 posts, read 522,713 times
I'd only live in Minneapolis or Chicago.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,013,058 times
Best--------
Columbus, OH- great University, lots of stuff to do
Chicago, IL- world class.
Minneapolis, MN- just cool city.
Madison, WI- awesome college town
St. Paul, MN- just a cool city.

Alright------
Milwaukee, WI- nice.
Lincoln, NE- decent college town
Omaha, NE- nice.
Kansas City, MO- nice, pleasantly boring
Cincinnati, OH- grimy in a good way/ city with character

Boring/ Just plain suck-----------
Indianapolis, IN- dull, no culture, box stores everywhere, annoying sprawl
Detroit, MI- ghetto hell
Cleveland, OH- trashy
St. Louis, MO- ghetto hell
Toledo, OH- trashy
Fort Wayne, IN- nothing but soccer moms and box stores. crappy, mean people.
Des Moines, IA- just flat out boring

Wichita (never been to)

Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,771,389 times
Best

Cincinnati
Cleveland
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Madison
Kansas City
Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.