U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Awesome read. I learned a lot fro your post I did not know before. And it explains a lot about some cities and puts away some of the misconceptions that people have, like Indianapolis being the 12th most populous city in the country.
it is.
But still you have to look at metro growth rates.
For the naysayers out there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=428467412
Have to use an older version of the article since wikipedia removed the 10 year stats.
Growth Rate MSA last 10 years: 15.16%

CSA growth rate: +12.87%
so idk why people are arguing about Indianapolis not growing 15% in the past 10 years............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,052,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
it is.
But still you have to look at metro growth rates.
For the naysayers out there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=428467412
Have to use an older version of the article since wikipedia removed the 10 year stats.
Growth Rate MSA last 10 years: 15.16%

CSA growth rate: +12.87%
so idk why people are arguing about Indianapolis not growing 15% in the past 10 years............
The problem is that you like to go around talking about how big the city is and how much it's growing. The city is just now, maybe, beginning to grow again. And by the city, I mean center township (old city limits). Calling Indianapolis the 12th biggest city in the country is just kind of stupid. It's closer to the 30th largest.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
The problem is that you like to go around talking about how big the city is and how much it's growing. The city is just now, maybe, beginning to grow again. And by the city, I mean center township (old city limits). Calling Indianapolis the 12th biggest city in the country is just kind of stupid. It's closer to the 30th largest.
the city itself is 12th largest or 11th if you use all of the consolidated city-county.
the METRO is 30th. lets not confuse one with the other.
2nd the city is alot more than Center Township.
and 3rd Center Township is growing again and thats music to my ears and anyone that cares about Indy.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,096,391 times
I personally think this is a great list!
Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit
4. Cleveland(i might switch cincy and cleve)
5. Cincinnati
6. Kansas City
7. Columbus
8. Indianapolis(indy could be higher)
9. St. Paul
....the rest of the cities don't really matter haha

Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM

1,762 posts, read 3,052,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
the city itself is 12th largest or 11th if you use all of the consolidated city-county.
the METRO is 30th. lets not confuse one with the other.
2nd the city is alot more than Center Township.
and 3rd Center Township is growing again and thats music to my ears and anyone that cares about Indy.
First of all, if you count all of Marion County as truly being the city, that's just stupid. Much of it is just a trashier version of Fishers. The only part I would ever truly consider part of the city is Center Township and some of Washington Township. Secondly, Center Township isn't growing buddy. It shrunk over the last census from 167,055 to 142,787. I'm going to have hope that by 2020 it might gain population again, but that will only happen if Downtown keeps booming (entirely possible/probable) and the Near North and East Sides have revitalization projects that really start going on at a fast rate (somewhat possible).

Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,615,349 times
Cleveland; its the furthest east.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 PM

94 posts, read 137,257 times
Let's talk about Downtown core of Midwestern cities. Is it just me or is something really off about Downtown Indianapolis? The Downtown area itself seems to be too spread out from the interstate on one side all the way to the Speedway. I am not talking about skyline. Even Columbus, OH is better than Indy's, IMO.

Downtown Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Chicago are built tightly around the interstate loop. I like that because it feels more urban.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,059,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Let's talk about Downtown core of Midwestern cities. Is it just me or is something really off about Downtown Indianapolis? The Downtown area itself seems to be too spread out from the interstate on one side all the way to the Speedway. I am not talking about skyline. Even Columbus, OH is better than Indy's, IMO.

Downtown Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Chicago are built tightly around the interstate loop. I like that because it feels more urban.
Indianapolis and its interstate system was engineered very differently from most cities. I know driving all the way up I-65 I go through Birmingham, Nashville, Louisville, and finally Indianapolis. For the first 3 cities the interstate cuts right through the middle of downtown, Indianapolis is the only city where there is no interstate going directly through the heart of the city. Instead the interstate loops around the edges of the city. Personally, I find this kind of annoying, as it takes the longest to go through Indianapolis since I am having to go all the way around, compared to the other cities where I cut straight through.

The only thing to be gained by the interstate going around the city is possibly less traffic. Going right through the downtown the speed limits on the interstate must be reduced, usually to 50-55MPH and traffic is much heavier.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,513,825 times
For me it would be:

St. Louis
Chicago
Minneapolis
Madison

Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,059,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
For me it would be:

St. Louis
Chicago
Minneapolis
Madison
St. Louis in front of Chicago...? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.