U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,051,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Let's talk about Downtown core of Midwestern cities. Is it just me or is something really off about Downtown Indianapolis? The Downtown area itself seems to be too spread out from the interstate on one side all the way to the Speedway. I am not talking about skyline. Even Columbus, OH is better than Indy's, IMO.

Downtown Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Chicago are built tightly around the interstate loop. I like that because it feels more urban.
Personally, I have no clue exactly what you're talking about. I mean are you saying Columbus, OH has a better downtown than Indianapolis? Are you saying that Indianapolis' freeways aren't close enough to downtown? Could you mean that West Street should be a freeway instead of a street so that downtown can't grow further west towards Speedway? I'm just confused, and I also don't see how the Downtown area could be described as stretching all the way towards the Speedway. It'd be wonderful if it were actually that big, but Indianapolis is centuries away from being that large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times
Columbus Ohio, though I have not driven through it, but seen from pictures, has kind of an awkward skyline to me. Several tall buildings on one end, and a slightly larger cluster of skyscrapers on the other end. The urban core of the skyline is too spread out compared with most cities, where Indy's is more focused in one location. But if you mean the businesses and livelihood of the downtown as a whole, Columbus may be better since it has a major university there, I'm not sure.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,095,002 times
It's Minneapolis if you want a mid-size city. Madison for a small city. Chicago by default for a big city. The rest by and large want what these cities already have.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM

94 posts, read 137,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Columbus Ohio, though I have not driven through it, but seen from pictures, has kind of an awkward skyline to me. Several tall buildings on one end, and a slightly larger cluster of skyscrapers on the other end. The urban core of the skyline is too spread out compared with most cities, where Indy's is more focused in one location. But if you mean the businesses and livelihood of the downtown as a whole, Columbus may be better since it has a major university there, I'm not sure.
Exactly. Although Indy has a better skyline, Columbus is more vibrant overall when it comes to businesses and neighborhoods along with the traditional campus of Ohio State University.

Indy may have Butler University, IUPUI, and other satellite campuses but they are mainly commute schools.

That's why I think Columbus has the slight edge.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Personally, I have no clue exactly what you're talking about. I mean are you saying Columbus, OH has a better downtown than Indianapolis? Are you saying that Indianapolis' freeways aren't close enough to downtown? Could you mean that West Street should be a freeway instead of a street so that downtown can't grow further west towards Speedway? I'm just confused, and I also don't see how the Downtown area could be described as stretching all the way towards the Speedway. It'd be wonderful if it were actually that big, but Indianapolis is centuries away from being that large.
Unlike most cities, the interstate doesn't cut through Indy. I find it annoying.

For Columbus, the interstates are easily accessible.

Having a better skyline doesn't make the city more urban than other. It's more about livelihood of Downtown with businesses and vibrant neighborhoods with easy access to interstates in every part of the city.

IMHO, that's why Columbus has the slight edge over Indy.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Indianapolis and its interstate system was engineered very differently from most cities. I know driving all the way up I-65 I go through Birmingham, Nashville, Louisville, and finally Indianapolis. For the first 3 cities the interstate cuts right through the middle of downtown, Indianapolis is the only city where there is no interstate going directly through the heart of the city. Instead the interstate loops around the edges of the city. Personally, I find this kind of annoying, as it takes the longest to go through Indianapolis since I am having to go all the way around, compared to the other cities where I cut straight through.

The only thing to be gained by the interstate going around the city is possibly less traffic. Going right through the downtown the speed limits on the interstate must be reduced, usually to 50-55MPH and traffic is much heavier.
If anyone doesn't understand my post when comparing Indy and Columbus, ColdAilment explained it very well. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,051,921 times
Quote:
Unlike most cities, the interstate doesn't cut through Indy. I find it annoying.

For Columbus, the interstates are easily accessible.

Having a better skyline doesn't make the city more urban than other. It's more about livelihood of Downtown with businesses and vibrant neighborhoods with easy access to interstates in every part of the city.

IMHO, that's why Columbus has the slight edge over Indy.
I guess I don't understand how you think the freeway doesn't go downtown. It's as much downtown as the Kennedy and Dan Ryan are in Chicago. It's as if you guys are saying that Indy would be better if Meridian Street was a freeway lol. And OSU isn't in Downtown Columbus. There's no arguing that Columbus has many more solid urban neighborhoods than Indianapolis does, but there's also no arguing that Indianapolis doesn't have a far better downtown.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Are the manufacturing cities in the Midwest (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Louis) improving or still declining?

Is manufacturing really good for the state economy or should traditional manufacturing states all diversify and become more white collar?

I think Minnesota is perhaps the most white collar state in the Midwest. What are others?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,570,063 times
Quote:
Are the manufacturing cities in the Midwest (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Louis) improving or still declining?

Is manufacturing really good for the state economy or should traditional manufacturing states all diversify and become more white collar?

I think Minnesota is perhaps the most white collar state in the Midwest. What are others?
Indianapolis is improving and it still has a sizable manufacturing presence.
Indiana is the most manufacturing intensive state in the country. employing 1/6th of Hoosiers. more than any other state.
Since Indiana is a Right to Work State and has a great business climate i see a great future for our state and our Capital City.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:55 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,328,032 times
Quote:
Indianapolis and its interstate system was engineered very differently from most cities. I know driving all the way up I-65 I go through Birmingham, Nashville, Louisville, and finally Indianapolis. For the first 3 cities the interstate cuts right through the middle of downtown, Indianapolis is the only city where there is no interstate going directly through the heart of the city. Instead the interstate loops around the edges of the city. Personally, I find this kind of annoying, as it takes the longest to go through Indianapolis since I am having to go all the way around, compared to the other cities where I cut straight through.

The only thing to be gained by the interstate going around the city is possibly less traffic. Going right through the downtown the speed limits on the interstate must be reduced, usually to 50-55MPH and traffic is much heavier.
Huh? 65 cuts through one block away from the east end of the mile square. 70 cuts through just south of south street. 65/70 merge and split downtown.

The speedway isn't in Indianapolis. It's in Speedway, different city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.