U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times

Advertisements

Honestly I wouldn't consider either Indianapolis or Columbus to be among the best Midwestern cities.

My list (not in order):

Chicago
Minneapolis
Madison
Milwaukee
St Louis

Smaller places:

Duluth
Bloomingtion, Indiana
Lawrence, Kansas
Ann Arbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,169,107 times
St. Paul, Minnesota. Population: 285,000.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
St. Paul, Minnesota. Population: 285,000.
Interesting. Madison, WI is only about 60,000 smaller than St. Paul, MN.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,569,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Honestly I wouldn't consider either Indianapolis or Columbus to be among the best Midwestern cities.

My list (not in order):

Chicago
Minneapolis
Madison
Milwaukee
St Louis

Smaller places:

Duluth
Bloomingtion, Indiana
Lawrence, Kansas
Ann Arbor
Depends on your criteria.
Indianapolis is one of the best places in the midwest for families.
Chicago is to expensive and the schools are horrible.
Indy's schools on the other hand are ranked as some of the best in the nation. Especially Carmel and Fishers high school.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,054,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Huh? 65 cuts through one block away from the east end of the mile square. 70 cuts through just south of south street. 65/70 merge and split downtown.

The speedway isn't in Indianapolis. It's in Speedway, different city.
Pretty sure it's more than a mile. But the point is, drive through Louisville, Nashville, or Birmingham. The interstate cuts straight through the heart of downtown, right in the midst of it all, in Indianapolis it does not.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Depends on your criteria.
Indianapolis is one of the best places in the midwest for families.
Chicago is to expensive and the schools are horrible.
Indy's schools on the other hand are ranked as some of the best in the nation. Especially Carmel and Fishers high school.
Chicago is better for career oriented professionals. Indy is influenced by the outyling areas and South compared to much of the Midwest and is more socially conservative. Indy is more natalistic than hedonistic.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,051,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Pretty sure it's more than a mile. But the point is, drive through Louisville, Nashville, or Birmingham. The interstate cuts straight through the heart of downtown, right in the midst of it all, in Indianapolis it does not.
I just googled it. It's .3 miles from East Street (the mile square) and .7 miles from Monument Circle (the dead center). Like I said, I prefer not having and interstate completely rip through the middle of the city. If it was up to me, 65/70 would be even further out than they are.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,051,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Chicago is better for career oriented professionals. Indy is influenced by the outyling areas and South compared to much of the Midwest and is more socially conservative.
I agree with this other than the part about the South. Indy seems to draw a lot of people from Northern Indiana and Michigan, but I don't get a southern vibe. Those areas are definitely more conservate, though.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,054,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Chicago is better for career oriented professionals. Indy is influenced by the outyling areas and South compared to much of the Midwest and is more socially conservative. Indy is more natalistic than hedonistic.
Indiana as a whole has somewhat of a southern and more conservative vibe to it, rather religous too. But I think Indianapolis is one of the exceptions. But I agree Chicago would be the better place for young professionals to go to, but Indy would not be far behind Chicago in being another good choice.

I'm curious why you think Indy is more natalistic? As I understand it you think they're reproducing a lot there?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indiana as a whole has somewhat of a southern and more conservative vibe to it, rather religous too. But I think Indianapolis is one of the exceptions. But I agree Chicago would be the better place for young professionals to go to, but Indy would not be far behind Chicago in being another good choice.

I'm curious why you think Indy is more natalistic? As I understand it you think they're reproducing a lot there?
Yes, Indy is natalistic. Indiana as a whole as the highest percentage of its population under age 18 of any state in the Midwest outside of a few outlier states on the Great Plains with low populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.